Cinema Room Ex Bedroom 5.8m x 2.5m

unreel

Established Member
Reaction score
Well after buying the house 5 months ago and a major renovation throughout the house the cinema room is finally near completion.

I present a photo guide to the project in 25 steps. if only it was so easy in real life. I have to give credit to Phil LFC for the lights and exit sign idea on the forums here.

The room was an upstairs bedroom when we moved in dimensions 5.8m x 2.5m and now the ceilings raised its 3m tall.

Its still a work in progress paint needs touching up, speaker cables need tidying / upgrading. The box for the sofa needs finishing and carpeting and maybe lights.

Specs currently Comprise

Dalite 106" Screen
Marantz SR7010
Nakamichi AVP1 Power Amp
Optoma HD33 Projector

Kef IQ90 Front
Kef IQ60C Centre
Kef IQ30 Rear surround
Kef Q82DS Surround
Kef IQ10 Rears
Kef Q85S x 4 for Atmos Ceiling Speakers

Cerwin Vega CV2800
Mini DSP 2x4 Balanced
2 x 15" Stereo Integrity DIY Subs

The subs and speakers are on paving slabs painted to match the carpet.

Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD Bluray Player
Xbox360
PS3
Wii
Sky HD
Media PC.

4mm Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC speaker cables
2.5mm Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC ceiling speaker cable

Cat 5e network running through the house, 4 ports at each end of the room. The room also serves as my computer room for the time being.

Cables are all running in trunking cut in the walls to the left and right of the screen, speaker and video cables are running along the trunking which the lights are on. The exit and lights are controlled via RF remote and are also colour changeable / dimmable.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 4,130
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,960
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,932
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,929
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,864
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,866
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,850
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 3,827
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,804
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,833
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 3,781
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3,802
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,819
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3,850
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,940
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4,038
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4,027
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4,246
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 4,243
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 4,263
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4,419
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 4,523
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 4,583
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4,638
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4,689
Last edited:
Nice set up mate

Great set up. I particularly like the extra height you gave to the room. Big difference and well executed! Enjoy!

Excellent transformation there. Looks like an Alladins cave of man goodness. Love the lighting especially.

v.impressive there Mr Shacks, so where's my invite for a film/game session then? :smashin:

Updates.

I've now upgraded to Pioneer LX86 Amp, and Van Damme 4mm Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC rear speaker cables.

I've just been on a trip to Whaleys for some Devore velvet..

The difference is amazing. No shine off the walls, and its so black....

Need to make another frame for velvet on the right wall and take down the Skyfall poster. I'm also going to cover the rear posters with a curtain to minimise any reflections.

The picture below shows the difference I'd highly recommend the Devore to anyone wanting to get the best from their projector, its amazing how much better films look when there's no shine off the walls...

Attachments

• Devore.jpg
    Devore.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 3,129
  • Devore1.jpg
    Devore1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,120
Very nice :)

Holly thread revival again lol...how is the soundproofing/reduction..is the bass and most of the other sounds kept within the confines of the room? Cheers.

I used 2 sheets of soundproof mat to try and soundproof the door. The door to the room is a wooden 4 panel door and finished with plywood., its made a huge difference to noise levels on the landing and upstairs rooms.

SBM5 soundproofing mat- supplied by Sound Service (Oxford) Ltd

The room is above my kitchen, the kitchen sounds like an earthquake is occurring and glasses shake on the shelves.. Upstairs is fine though. :D

I used 2 sheets of soundproof mat to try and soundproof the door. The door to the room is a wooden 4 panel door and finished with plywood., its made a huge difference to noise levels on the landing and upstairs rooms.

SBM5 soundproofing mat- supplied by Sound Service (Oxford) Ltd

The room is above my kitchen, the kitchen sounds like an earthquake is occurring and glasses shake on the shelves.. Upstairs is fine though. :D
Lol, did you not use anything under the floorboards above the kitchen or just left it as is? Only asking as one our bedrooms will shortly be no longer a bedroom[emoji16] yippeee lol..but it's above our living room and I would like to keep as much noise as possible in the bedroom..Thanks for the link.

Just thick underlay and carpet on the floor. The subs and floor speakers are on concrete flags, but nothing else sound proof wise.

The bass is the main thing that you hear in the kitchen and not much is going to stop that rattling the cupboards below.

The dual 15" Subs are the main culprit more recent shot of the room Av below. Cabinet is undergoing a revamp, Devore velvet covering the top currently.

Attachments

• Cinema.jpg
    Cinema.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2,441
Just thick underlay and carpet on the floor. The subs and floor speakers are on concrete flags, but nothing else sound proof wise.

The bass is the main thing that you hear in the kitchen and not much is going to stop that rattling the cupboards below.

The dual 15" Subs are the main culprit more recent shot of the room Av below. Cabinet is undergoing a revamp, Devore velvet covering the top currently.
I'm thinking of upping the floorboards upstairs, using rockwool in the cavities ( making sure any cables are protected) filling in all the gaps of the floorboards with acoustic sealant and sticking down something like cloud 9 underlay

I'm thinking of upping the floorboards upstairs, using rockwool in the cavities ( making sure any cables are protected) filling in all the gaps of the floorboards with acoustic sealant and sticking down something like cloud 9 underlay
Well some sound proofing can't hurt at all, I just tend not to be in the kitchen when I'm playing films so no issue for me :clap:

Latest pictures with the devore velvet and the actual current setup

Great stuff.

Did you end up finishing the raised platform that the rear seats are on?

The reason I ask is that I completely finished my cinema room including carpet etc but now want to add some tiered seating.

I'm just trying to figure out how to do that on top of a carpet.

Thanks

Great stuff.

Did you end up finishing the raised platform that the rear seats are on?

The reason I ask is that I completely finished my cinema room including carpet etc but now want to add some tiered seating.

I'm just trying to figure out how to do that on top of a carpet.

Thanks

I'm still using the grey display boxes that show on Picture 24 on the initial post I picked up them for £1 each when Comet closed down. They are now fastened together with some plywood and carpeted. I've also fitted some Blue LED lighting on the steps

I'll update with some pictures in next day or two.

I'm still using the grey display boxes that show on Picture 24 on the initial post I picked up them for £1 each when Comet closed down. They are now fastened together with some plywood and carpeted. I've also fitted some Blue LED lighting on the steps

I'll update with some pictures in next day or two.

Thanks, some photos would be really helpful.

Did you cover them in the same carpet that is on the floor?

How did you attach the carpet to the boxes?

Have you attached the boxes to the floor?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions!:)

Thanks, some photos would be really helpful.

Did you cover them in the same carpet that is on the floor?

How did you attach the carpet to the boxes?

Have you attached the boxes to the floor?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions!:)

Carpet on the box is the same as the floor carpet. The boxes are made from very heavy MDF as there are 4 of them all screwed together and a 3 seater sofa sat on top they really didn't need fastening down.

The carpet was just tucked underneath at the front edge as per the picture and stapled down at the far end. Its a rough and ready fix, but its held together for 3 years now :)

Picture below with the floor lighting. That's simply some Wickes kitchen accent lights which I switch on and off via an RF remote.

Attachments

• Floor Light.jpg
    Floor Light.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 2,397
Carpet on the box is the same as the floor carpet. The boxes are made from very heavy MDF as there are 4 of them all screwed together and a 3 seater sofa sat on top they really didn't need fastening down.

The carpet was just tucked underneath at the front edge as per the picture and stapled down at the far end. Its a rough and ready fix, but its held together for 3 years now :)

Picture below with the floor lighting. That's simply some Wickes kitchen accent lights which I switch on and off via an RF remote.

I must say from the pics it doesn't look rough and ready at all, it looks pretty slick:thumbsup:

Thanks very much for your help:smashin:

Excellent build. Well done .

How are the LEDs fitted in the carpet. Is the carpet just cut round them?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom