Cinema Room done for now - 56k'ers beware

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Bursar, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    After a few days of work, I have now finished my setup for the time being :)

Before work began, this is how the room looked.

Looking from the screen end towards the seating end:
    [​IMG]
    It's a dark picture, but you can see the desk with the 2 PCs along the left hand side of the picture.

Looking towards the screen end of the room:
    [​IMG]
    Lots of junk here, including my rather large homebuilt arcade machine. Unfortunately it's too big, so I'm going to have to take it apart :(

Finally, here's where the equipment will sit:
    [​IMG]
    It currently houses a book shelf that's stuffed to the gils with books, software and other assorted bits and bobs. It too will have to go.

So, a bit of work with a paintbrush, and this is what we end up with...

The seating area:
    [​IMG]
    The blind is blackout material, and works really well. The walls at this end of the room are painted in HomeBase Lapis Blue. A slightly lighter shade than the other end of the room. The desk will soon house the 2 PCs, so I didn't want it to be too gloomy. On the wall you can see a couple of KEF 2005.2 Eggs.

Looking at the screen end:
    [​IMG]
    I slapped on a couple of coats of white paint, and the front speakers are just sitting on the floor for now. Once I get my own projector and know where the screen will be located, they will be wall mounted.

Then there's the equipment shelf:
    [​IMG]
    The Denon 1803 receiver, Tosh 330 DVD player, and the 2005.2 sub. I shall be putting up a few shelves for the DVD player and the DVDs at the weekend. The sub will eventually move, but this is a handy place for it to sit at the moment. The paint at this end is Dulux Atlantic Surf 1.

Finally, the equipment in action:
    [​IMG]
    The projected image is 5ft wide (about the most I can really get away with in this room). The projector is a Sony CPL-VX5 and it's hooked up to the Tosh with an S-Video cable.

Still plenty to do though. Once I get my own projector (the Sony is borrowed from work) I'll ceiling mount it, decide what to do about the screen, wall mount the front speakers, and put the cabling in trunking. Oh, I also need to sort lighting as well.

But for now, I'm amazed! I really should have done this sooner!

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A fine example of what can be done within tight confines, Bursar! :)

Those initial pictures certainly had me wondering... :D

At least you got the furniture out!

Just one thing though: are you sure that you have enough power points?!? ;) Actually, I shouldn't even try to joke - one can never have enough!!! :lesson: :laugh: The Eggs look nice too, by the way - so much smaller, when there's something to relate them to. Very tidy.

Oh, and now you've fuelled my ideas (thanks to showing what can be done, the lovely shades of blue, mention of screen size* :eek: and the lovely example). Grrrrh. Although it's financially out of the question just now, I'm in hope that things are soon to change for the better. And then? :devil:

Enjoy your room :smashin:

[*Well it would be quite a move up from a 29" TV! :rotfl:]

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I had the power sockets put in not long after we moved into the house. We had a couple of guys in fitting a kitchen, so I got them to stick some extra sockets in at the same time.

With a pair of PCs there, they soon get used up!

The only problem I've got now is that all the furniture is in my step-daughters room, so I need to get it all out again before she comes home from Uni...

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bursar - the room looks V cosy indeed.

I take it the three Kef front satellites aren't staying on the floor?

Incidentally, how do the speakers sound with the 1803 btw??? - Might be intreaged into buying a set of KHTs for the living room when I upgrade my 1803 :)

Enjoy your room mate :)

5. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    The front sats will go on the wall once I get my own projector and figure out what I'm doing for a screen.

To my untrained ear, the sound is amazing! I'm using some reasonably cheap speaker cable that came bundled when I bought the 1803 and Eggs from CA. I had to buy an extra 11m worth for the surround speakers, and it seems better quality than the bundled stuff.

I'm still dead impressed though. I had the bass from the sub shaking the floor when I was testing it :devil:

To be honest, I think a higher end receiver or speaker set would be wasted as the room is relatively small.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bursar - you'd be right too, plus the Kef Eggs look gorgeous in your room :)

I heard my 1803 with the old style kef eggs, but not with the newer ones.

7. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope those chairs are only a temporary measure!
    I wouldn't fancy sitting in those for nearly 3 hours watching The Two Towers;)

8. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    You'd be surprised. They're quite comfy. They gas lift up and down, the back reclines, the arms move up and down, and the tops of the arm rests also rotate in and out.

A bargain at only £10 for the pair!!

I did think about the sofa option, but then I figured it would be pretty difficult to get a sofa you could sit on whilst working on the PCs on the desk.

You'd also have the hassle of lifting the thing up and turning it around every time you wanted to watch a film.

Oh to have a bigger room where I could put everything in it, but alas, compromises need to made.

9. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bursar,

Do you mind giving me the dimensions of your room?

Cheers,

Majik

10. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Not at all :)

The room is about 3.7m long by 2.5m wide at the narrow end. Here's the initial plan of the room:
    [​IMG]
    So I think all things considered, the final room isn't far away from my intial plan :)

11. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mmmmm, gas lift up and down...

Sorry :laugh:

12. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    OK, time to bump this old thread :)

The room is now finished (for the time being). My Z2 is on the ceiling, the screen wall is painted, and the front speakers are on the walls.

Here's a couple of pics:

Z2 on the ceiling:
    [​IMG]

The screen wall:
    [​IMG]

Star Wars Galaxies
    [​IMG]

The final picture is me playing Star Wars Galaxies on the PJ at 1280x720.

Just below the projected image is a 17" monitor displaying a 1280x1024 screenshot of SWG. All I need now is a wireless keyboard/mouse and I can enjoy large screen gaming :)

Oh, the projected image is 70" diagonal. Not as big as some, but given I had to bring the PJ closer to the screen wall (so I could screw it into the ceiling joists) it's not bad.

Given the viewing distance, I couldn't have gone too much larger anyway.

The only outstanding things to do is trunk that last speaker cable, and then paint the trunking to match the walls. Proper Job :)