Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cinema Receiver to Separates connection - HELP!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mr_yogi, Jul 10, 2005.

1. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    :lease: help...

I have an existing Hi-Fi:

Audiolab 8000CD
    Tag Pre Amp
    Audiolab 8000PX
    Mission 752 Freedom

And a Toshiba Picture frame TV with DD surrond sound, but the sound isn't great so I have bought some home cinema kit:

Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
    Mission 78C Centre Speaker
    Mission m7ds Rear Speakers

without thinking how best to connect it all up?

I could keep swapping the main speakers between the 8000PX and the RX-V650 every time I want to listen to the other, but is there a better way?

The Receiver has pre out jacks but the 8000PX only has one set of inputs. I have tape loops free on the Tag Pre Amp but I'm not sure if that'll help.

Has anyone got any ideas?

2. plonkersaurus

plonkersaurus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im guessing you can just connect the V650's front pre outs to the input part of the tape loop of the Tag Pre amp.

Then just connect the hifi as normal, and the V650 with just centre and rear speakers, so the V650 only uses the amplification for the centre and rears and otherwise passes the signal via pre out to your much higher quality hifi. And when you want to use hifi you just use it normally.

3. bizzibee

bizzibee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, i've been searching the forum and I think using the tape loop will be the best bet. Just hope it's easy to set up using the two volume controls (V650 for surrounds and Pre10 for the fronts)

A system switch might be a way to go but my existing speaker cables multi strand are nicely terminated so fitting it would be a pain, and I don't really want the switch in my Hifi system.

Just got to dig out my old phono cables now :)

EDIT: Has anyone got any experience of using an AV amp/ receiver with the tape loops of a hifi intergrated or Pre-power combo?

Thanks again

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The pre-outs are not fixed level, so once you find the right volume for your tag pre-amp or your power amp, the volume on the yamaha will control the volume (essentially becoming a pre-pre amp, unless you bypass the tag, assuming the power amp has two inputs).

There is a seperate fixed level tape loop, the pre-outs we are talking about are the Front Left/Right ones, and if you want you can play your cd's through the yamaha in stereo mode, and it will simply pass the signal through to your main stereo, again allowing the yamaha to control the volume, but some say this has a slight effect on the sound.

6. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Thanks for all the replies guys,
    got it set up and working great :D

Using the pre-out for the fronts feeding into the line input on the Tag works a treat. The sound from the 78CSE is amazing :thumbsup:

The only problem I had was configuring the Yamaha to output via the Pre-out AND getting the surounds to output :rolleyes: I don't know what I did I had just the main fronts going (using some virtual surround), which had me fooled until I walked up to the screen and noticed the centre speaker wasn't doing anything :laugh:
    Then I had the rears working also but still no centre :blush:

Then the centre and rears but no main fronts :rolleyes:

...and the manual wasn't much help about how to configure with pre-outs :mad:

Then bingo all working :smoke: and Kill Bill was :thumbsup:

One thing I didn't realise was the need/ usefulness for the On Sreen Display, I ended up getting an old Commodore Amiga monitor from the loft to view the OSD :rotfl:

I'm gonna need to buy some more Video cables.

Overall i'm VERY impressed :)

Thanks again :smashin: