• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cinema Project Help

blincoe73

Established Member
Hello,
I’m hoping you can help me out here with a few things.

I have recently moved houses and finally after purchasing a four storey town house now have the room for a Home Theatre. I am a complete novice when it comes to systems etc, but am a true movie buff and usually only appreciate movies at the cinema (I’m there about 4 times per week)

Anyway back to the new house. As it’s new the other half has put her foot down and says I cannot channel into the plaster or brickwork

Any ideas how I install/wall mount a 42” Plasma without having visible cables?

I thought maybe build a timber frame on the wall the width of my AV unit and about 3 inches deep from the wall, cover it in plaster boards and mount the plasma in the middle? What do you think.

Pics of the Room - Dimensions - 20' x 12'
42bridlo11.jpg

42bridl111.jpg

I have also just purchased this stand for my receiver, xbox and DVD player

27385_PE082595_S41.jpg

My final question. I have a budget of 1000 to buy a new plasma and surround sound.
I would like approx 42" screen - what would you reccommend?

Thanks in advance

S

SuzyG

richersoundss are doing a 50 inch panasonic for £999 went to have a look at it andthought the picture was excellent - i made them take off the finding nemo disk and put on a footy dvd so i could see how it handled motion - full marks from me

if you check online (or buy whathifi) im sure you can get a rack system that fits to the wall and up to your tv which holds your dvd player sky box etc but i cant remember the name of the company

blincoe73

Established Member
richersoundss are doing a 50 inch panasonic for £999 went to have a look at it andthought the picture was excellent - i made them take off the finding nemo disk and put on a footy dvd so i could see how it handled motion - full marks from me

if you check online (or buy whathifi) im sure you can get a rack system that fits to the wall and up to your tv which holds your dvd player sky box etc but i cant remember the name of the company

Ohhh that sounds good. Think i'll have a drive over to Richersounds this afternoon. Do you have any idea how i get around hiding cables without chipping into my brickwork

gazzerdaman

Established Member
If its a modern house the walls may be hollow. This would mean that you could get away with just cutting two holes in the wall and feeding the cables through. By using electrical mounting boxes these would look nice and neat.

This would cause little damage to the walls, might get past the mrs :)

Depends whether there are no obstructions within the wall between the two points you want to run cables.

louishm

Established Member
yes the false chimney breast is the most common install i think and in my opinion looks excellent when done properly (like the one in the pic). If you have read his thread you will see he has thought of everything even a dvd rom up in the chimney breast.

go for it and post us some pics of your progress.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom