Cinema pet hate...

Wildkarrde

Distinguished Member
Why do people leave all their empty popcorn packets and drinks lying all over the place when the movie finishes? It really p***** me off so can only imagine how the cinema workers feel.
I can't think of anywhere else where this would be acceptable behaviour?There are bins outside every screen so instead of being a lazy grubby **** take your empty rubbish and put it in the bin, there is no need to throw it on the floor or leave it in the cup holder!
It takes no time at all to clean up your mess so i don't understand why people do this?
We all get a notice before the movie starts to turn off our phone so how about a 'remember and take your rubbish with you' notice.

Maybe it's just me but it's been irking me for such a long time, rant over!

Toasty

Distinguished Member
At our local, the staff hold bin bags open on the way out. While they shouldn't have to, it has the desired affect..

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Why do people leave all their empty popcorn packets and drinks lying all over the place when the movie finishes? It really p***** me off so can only imagine how the cinema workers feel.
I can't think of anywhere else where this would be acceptable behaviour?There are bins outside every screen so instead of being a lazy grubby **** take your empty rubbish and put it in the bin, there is no need to throw it on the floor or leave it in the cup holder!
It takes no time at all to clean up your mess so i don't understand why people do this?
We all get a notice before the movie starts to turn off our phone so how about a 'remember and take your rubbish with you' notice.

Not saying you're wrong, but do you clean up after you finish a meal at a restaurant? Or is it part of the service? Just a thought.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
^ kinda agree with this, even when I do put my rubbish in the bin, I don’t bring in a dust pan and brush to sweep up the popcorn I always drop cos I’m eating in the dark.
Screenings are timed to factor in the auditorium being cleaned between showings. Just part of the job.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
a phone lighting up my no1 hate. the constant need to check phones.
That, tied with talking for me.

Had to tell a loud couple to shut the fudge up when they were chattering well into the Star Wars opening crawl a few weeks back. I got a thank you after the screening from a bunch of people.

Would happily have inserted those two gits head first into the nearest trash can.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
That, tied with talking for me.

Had to tell a loud couple to shut the fudge up when they were chattering well into the Star Wars opening crawl a few weeks back. I got a thank you after the screening from a bunch of people.
This happens all the time now I’ve noticed, happened at underwater the other night. More significantly in happened in Parasite, where the two ****s came in 15 minutes after the film had started, were fannying about and talking to each other right in front of us. Told them to pipe down. Afterwards I was called something that rhymes with runt. I pointed out that they should learn how to behave in social situations before they next decide to leave the house.

Last edited:

Wildkarrde

Distinguished Member
Not saying you have to sweep up the floor looking for popcorn, it's the large container that it comes in that people feel the need to just leave on the floor or throw on the floor that is just lazy.
In a restaurant I pay for table service, I need my table cleared to receive my next course.
Do you throw your empty rubbish around in your car and leave it or when the journey finishes take it in with you?
On Monday I watched the family next to me get up, throw their empty rubbish on the floor and walk out.
Don't care if you're desperate for the toilet or not, you have to walk past a bin to get there so pop you're rubbish in, it's not hard.

BTW the phone lighting up is also a major PITA.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I always used to tidy up after myself when I left but in the last few years my cinema always tells us to leave our rubbish at the seat to aid with recycling so I leave it now as requested.

[email protected]

I don't understand the requirement for constant munching or slurping while watching a film at all. There are no circumstances where I would ever feel the need to go to a cinema again.

stu D

I’m a bit on the fence on this one. If we go with the kids and there’s sweet wrappers and the like , we take most of the rubbish with us to leave it looking tidy - but if there’s say a half a cup of coke left over , will often leave that in the cup holder. Chucking it in the bin will only drown the bin bags!

ive always seen the tidy up as part of the service - like when on a plane - appreciate there’s the periodic bin collection, but you don’t take any leftovers with you through the terminal looking for bins - the change over staff come in and do their thing.

phones are also a major annoyance! Even when I go with a couple people of mates one of them is always checking his phone about 10 times a film just for a few second. Makes me cringe!
If you have to check it, at least have the courtesy to turn the brightness down to its lowest setting - all it takes is a quick swipe. But most have them on full blinding brightness! Grrr.

Skull n Bones

Have never ate or drank whilst watching a film at the cinema, would take me out of the moment, but have seen a lot of mess when leaving. Feel sorry for the cleaners, but then, that comes with the job.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Cinema visits are a total gamble, like Forrest Gump's mom said about chocolates you never know what your going to get.
My pet hate is scum-buckets KICKING MY BLOODY SEAT. So I sit at the back of the cinema but that's the place where the CHAVS sit. Then people looking at their STUPID PHONES. And the rustling, the DAMN RUSTLING. Munching. Lip smacking. Slurping.
Grrr cinema is too annoying. :mad:

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Not saying you have to sweep up the floor looking for popcorn, it's the large container that it comes in that people feel the need to just leave on the floor or throw on the floor that is just lazy.
In a restaurant I pay for table service, I need my table cleared to receive my next course.
Do you throw your empty rubbish around in your car and leave it or when the journey finishes take it in with you?
On Monday I watched the family next to me get up, throw their empty rubbish on the floor and walk out.
Don't care if you're desperate for the toilet or not, you have to walk past a bin to get there so pop you're rubbish in, it's not hard.

BTW the phone lighting up is also a major PITA.
Again, not necessarily disagreeing, just looking at the flip side. We pay a substantial premium for our drinks, sweets and popcorn. Probably two or three times what it would cost for the same foodstuffs in the high street. You could argue that the extra we pay includes a service charge.

Cinemas are always cleaned in between showings, regardless of whether or not anyone left behind a sweet wrapper, so its not like littering where somebody is forced to make a special trip to up someone's mess. It's the equivalent of table service.

When I go to McDonalds, I'll often deposit my tray of litter in the provided bins. But I don't feel obligated to.

Wildkarrde

Distinguished Member
Having never checked the job description for a cinema employee, I don't know if picking up other people's rubbish is part of the job?
What annoys me is trying to educate my Son on not dropping litter and to take it with you and put in a bin only to see others disregard that, especially families.
I don't throw my rubbish on the floor in any other walk of life, that's what bins are for.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Having never checked the job description for a cinema employee, I don't know if picking up other people's rubbish is part of the job?
It will be part of the cinema cleaners job though.

I do see your point, I think it would be a nicer environment if everyone took their rubbish with them when exiting the cinema. I do nine times out of ten. But people are also paid to do it, so it's hardly the end of the world.

Phone misuse and loudmouths irritate me more.

What annoys me is trying to educate my Son on not dropping litter and to take it with you and put in a bin only to see others disregard that, especially families.
As long as you are leading by example, he won't.

SDMDAM

Our local Vue tells you to leave all rubbish in the auditorium rather than clean it up. The amount of popcorn on the floor is a bit ridiculous to be honest.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
The worst thing is when people go into a movie they've already seen and shout out about what's about to happen and then tell people how it ends and then leave swinging a football rattle singing 'Rule Britannia'.

I don't know why I do it, honestly.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett