Cinema Paradiso faulty UHD discs?

MyronAub

Is there anyone else here who rents UHD discs from Cinema Paradiso? I've been renting discs from them for a few years now and have been pretty happy with the service until very recently.

Basically the last three deliveries on the trot have each contained a different faulty 4K UHD disc! Doctor Strange, Batman v Superman and just today Wonder Woman 1984. Is this just incredibly unlucky or have other people experienced anything similar lately? For the avoidance of doubt I have three different UHD players (Sony, Panasonic and an LG) that I've tried the discs in so it is definitely the discs and not the players.

To be fair, CP so far have sent out replacements pronto but that's little consolation to the girlfriend as we settle down to enjoy a movie and twenty minutes in the picture freezes or skips. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Some amazingly clever disc cleaning technique perhaps? :)

Although I have three UHD players they're all cheap sub-£150 ones so I'll also start a new hardware thread to see what people's thoughts are on more expensive players being better at error-correcting...

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
I have had an occasional problem with their discs skipping - a quick clean of the disc has always rectified the problem. I presumed it was previous renters not handling the discs correctly and leaving fingerprints perhaps?

(The Wonder Woman one i wouldn't have bothered cleaning, if it skips about 2 hours of the movie you have done alright)

untouchableno1

Few and far between, but it does happen. I always clean the disc before playing but sometimes thats not enough. Recently rented WW4 - no issues apart from wanting to smash the screen... and funnily enough have MOS due tomorrow/maybe Monday. CP are good in getting replacement discs out. Brand new discs (purchased) can have problems.

MyronAub

I rented Dr Strange and it was faulty got a replacement which played fine
Yes, that was exactly my experience, the replacement played fine.

It was only marred by the fact that the other disc (Batman v Superman 4K) they sent with the working replacement also proved to be faulty. :(

As an aside we enjoyed the Doctor Strange film, there are some stunning mind-bending visuals especially in 4K, but I thought some of the humour was a little contrived.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Ive had quite a few 4K discs off them - no problems at all. I think Ive only had one faulty disc full stop in fact.

MyronAub

Ive had quite a few 4K discs off them - no problems at all. I think Ive only had one faulty disc full stop in fact.

Yes, up until now I think I could count on one hand the number of faulty discs from many years of renting, first from Lovefilm and subsequently Cinema Paradiso.

That's why three faulty discs in a row seemed so odd. I did wonder if perhaps they've changed their disc cleaning methods in light of Covid which is doing more harm than good (from a home cinema point of view!)

Or it's just one of those unfortunate coincidences that some ham-fisted luddite rented those same three discs before me. :)

MyronAub

That's why three faulty discs in a row seemed so odd. I did wonder if perhaps they've changed their disc cleaning methods in light of Covid which is doing more harm than good (from a home cinema point of view!)

So I was feeling more than a little annoyed last night.

Three faulty discs in a row has now become four faulty discs in a row!

Cinema Paradiso sent me a replacement yesterday for the faulty Batman v Superman UHD, started watching it last night and half way through it froze again and then started skipping! Tried it on three different UHD players and the same problem. It's freezing at exactly the same point as the last one and they sent it to me two days after they received the faulty disc back so it's odd on they've just sent the same faulty disc back.

Not impressed but what can you do when they're pretty much the only gig in town. :mad:

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
So I was feeling more than a little annoyed last night.

Three faulty discs in a row has now become four faulty discs in a row!

Cinema Paradiso sent me a replacement yesterday for the faulty Batman v Superman UHD, started watching it last night and half way through it froze again and then started skipping! Tried it on three different UHD players and the same problem. It's freezing at exactly the same point as the last one and they sent it to me two days after they received the faulty disc back so it's odd on they've just sent the same faulty disc back.

Not impressed but what can you do when they're pretty much the only gig in town. :mad:
what length is your HDMI are you using a fiber HDMI?

MyronAub

what length is your HDMI are you using a fiber HDMI?

Movie Room is 3m (this one), Games Room is 5m, neither are fiber.

I'm pretty sure it's not a display issue, the disc gets physically stuck when trying to fast forward/backward at the same 1:02:00 point and I can't see how a HDMI problem could cause that.

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
Movie Room is 3m (this one), Games Room is 5m, neither are fiber.

I'm pretty sure it's not a display issue, the disc gets physically stuck when trying to fast forward/backward at the same 1:02:00 point and I can't see how a HDMI problem could cause that.
I am pretty sure you are right
I have had loads of problems with 4K UHD discs on my Panasonic 9000 going to a projector not just with CP rentals

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
tried this yesterday a CP rental2012 4K UHD
I keep getting the message cant play disc "compatibility problem"

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom