1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinema in a box or seperates?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve 111, Mar 5, 2003.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got a mate who works for Sony that can get me 60% off MSSP through staff sales. Therefore with a budget of £400 or £1000 at high street prices what is the best Sony set up inc. speakers I should go for home cinema.

System needs to have a AM/FM tuner and be able to play audio CDs. Any advice, as at present i'm leaning towards the DAV S550 cinema in a box due to ease of set up, but feel I could be missing out by not having something more technical?

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    If you simply test a cinema in a box solution against a separates solution the answer would be loud and clear! SEPARATES!
    Personally, I would not have a box solution even if it was given to me for free.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dunno, in the average sitting room an all in one is ok. It is certainly an easier and neater solution, and with your discount an even more inexpensive option. what about the Sony DAV-S880?

Sure decent seperates are better, but would still be more expensive than the £400 your looking to spend. And I would choose a top of the line all in one over a make do seperates set up any day. Although, ceratinly you could upgrade as you go-something the all in one wont let you do.

4. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How about something like the Yamaha HTib45 - A sub/sat system but with a proper full size AV receiver, so you could always upgrade the speakers and keep the amp.

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ian,

have Sony started making Yamaha equipment!!
    ;) ;)

6. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Woops - that'll teach me to pay more attention to what I am reading. Still a nice starter system though.

7. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    get separates in the form of av reciever sony 1080 with a sony dvd player and a set of sony speakers then you can always upgrade later if you do decide the all in one get a dav 880 it by far better than 550 for the money the output is double and the speakers are 5 times better!

8. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Moving... :)

9. nickdhall

nickdhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the s880 and unless you've got a HUGE living room i really dont see how seperates could sound any better...

i know a lot of people on here would write me off for not saying seperates but as far as the s880 goes it is awesome, and looks really good too...

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

pmmmffft. Trying playing Toy Story 2 intro and see your subwoofer invert, and smoke come out of it.

Then try the same with the proper subwoofer.

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As many have said here,separates are almost certainly going to give you a better sound,but you have a budget of £400 here,and a friend who can offer you staff discount.

The problem with all-in-one offerings is the lack of upgradeability ,and the poor resale value,as well as the performance issues.

12. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    For people on a budget or with small rooms there is nothing wrong with an all-in-one system. True that the ability to upgrade is restricted but when I was looking through the options, looking at the kind of budget you are looking at, by the time you look to upgrade your speakers you'll probably be ready to upgrade the amp as well anyway.

For ease of use and looks, the Sony DAV system I chose was the best option for ME, and it's up to you to decide what you feel is best for you.

Besides there's a lot of slagging off of the SONY all in ones on these forums, but once you get one without the problems - as almost all now should be, I for one think they are very good value for money and anyone who says that the sub is terrible should come and ask my neighboors what they think!!;)

True, my system won't compare to the people going out spending a grand+, but in a room that's only 16' by 12' and the wrong shape for a surround system anyway, is the difference going to be that huge?

13. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seperates definately.

Loads of my mates have these Technics mini-seperate systems... and they just don't do it for me. You have to whack the volume up full before it makes the movie exciting.

For my system, -15dB is top notch, and 0dB is out of this world!!! :clap:

I've always had seperates, and wouldn't ever go back!!!

Plus, they look sweet when all stacked up (and beat the hell out of the cheap looking displays of mini-systems with the crappy spectrum displays)

Bye Bye sub standard crap! :hiya: