Cinema goers - help

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As part of my son's coming birthday, I've promised him to go and watch, soon to come out, Cars 3. Last time I went to cinema was around 6 years ago. My son has never been yet.

So what is that we should consider? Imax, 3d, normal... I just have no clue.

... yes should child services get involved with this heinous crime:D

I would say normal, not sure if 3D would be something they would enjoy at that age.

smiley.jpg
Dealing with a broken promise?

:devil:

Quoted just to see if the smiley changes.

On topic: Cheapest to save you money as they grow up :p

Ditto!:D

How old is your son?
5/6+ I'd say 3D. Younger, then regular 2D showing. IMAX/ATMOS/Extreme screens mean nothing to a child so waste of money for them.

Also did your son specifically ask to watch Cars 3? I've always thought the Cars films have been a bit rubbish. Despicable Me 3 is out on 30 June & likely will be a better film (based on the previous 2 films).

I would just stick with 2D, if he doesn't like the glasses things you have to wear you have just wasted some money on a film.

How old is your son?
5/6+ I'd say 3D. Younger, then regular 2D showing. IMAX/ATMOS/Extreme screens mean nothing to a child so waste of money for them.

Also did your son specifically ask to watch Cars 3? I've always thought the Cars films have been a bit rubbish. Despicable Me 3 is out on 30 June & likely will be a better film (based on the previous 2 films).
He will be just turning 6. He his car mad in general, has a massive toy car collection and watches nothing else than car programs (Top Gear, Grand Tour, Wheeler Dealer, etc.)... and Bike channel ;)

Disney cars (1 & 2) are his favourite movies. When he found out part 3 is coming out, he is desperate to see it as soon as possible. I already had to hunt down the Jackson Storm main character toy car for him.

So basically, I have no choice :)

Looks like normal 2d is mentioned to most often here. I would like to wow him with his first cinema experience.

OK, you must take him then.. You are a Heroic Father. I'd recommend 2D though. 6 seems to be a pivotal age as to what is recommended for 3D. Plenty of research says 3 is what matters but I wonder who sponsored it :D

I doubt they would have Cars 3 on 4DX or IMAX - usually reserved for the live action blockbusters.

So I would say 3D unless you think he would not put up with wearing glasses for 90 minutes, then 2D.

Cheers,

Nigel

He his car mad in general, has a massive toy car collection and watches nothing else than car programs (Top Gear, Grand Tour, Wheeler Dealer, etc.)... and Bike channel ;)

I would like to wow him with his first cinema experience.
The Fate of the Furious is still showing at some cinemas :D
IMG_1404.JPG

Looks like normal 2d is mentioned to most often here. I would like to wow him with his first cinema experience.

Seeing his favorite film on a screen bigger than a house regardless of whether its 2d or 3d will probably keep his mouth open in awe.

Thanks. I think I'll go for 2d screening. Just need to find a good cinema and pre-book tickets. Just had a quick look around and it doesn't look like tickets can be bought yet.

2D.

Try a dry run on a Saturday morning when the tickets are cheap for 'family movies'. Yeah, they may be a bit older but it is still good for kids.

I loved the cars films, my boys were mad on them growing up.

I remember taking my 4 year old son to see his first cinema film, Bug's Life.

He went into sensory overload and couldn't handle it and we had to leave about half way through.

This was in 1998 though, big flat screens and surround sound systems at home were very rare. So this was going from a VHS on a 28" TV with built in speakers to the big screen.

Cheers,

Nigel

Any idea how long before the premiere tickets can be bought? How does that usually work? I've been chcecking for the last couple of weeks but other than some film festival, no cinema sells tickets for that yet.

Best solution would probably be to sign up for the newsletter of the cinema you're planning to take him to (a chain like Odeon or VUE I'm assuming), & saving Cars 3 in your wish list. They should then send you an email to let you know when bookings open.

2D/IMAX all the way, for me personally it ruins the experience wearing dark glasses during the film. Especially if it's his first time 3D could potentially ruin the mood as eye strain is quite common.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom