Cinema design help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by dts_boy, Jun 24, 2015.

1. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Hi Guys
    I am starting a cinema project with little to no idea if this is the best way to do it!
    My aim is to build a "floating wall" / fake chimney breast to allow a 50" TV to be flushed in as well as some in-wall LCR's around (of which I have not chosen yet).
    In addition I have a projection system to accommodate - I have just bought a 7ft wide electric tab-tension acoustic screen which will be installed above ceiling and drop though in front of this new floating wall. I will have a slot cut in ceiing with a removable panel to allow access to screen if needed in future.
    I have attached some basic drawings I have knocked together (apologies, they aren't that detailed but outline sketches for now).
    I have some M&K K4 tripoles at the back of room which I am happy with for now - couch is up aganist back wall so think this is optimum speaker (toyed with idea of in-ceiling above but this would be worse right?)

Are there any thoughts with my plans, can anyone see any potential for headache or any areas to improve? The actual kit I'm not too fussed about - at the moment I'm keen to get the design right and move forward from there. Also, is it worth wiring for Atmos? I don't have an Atmos amp right now but after much reading the I think the correct positioning of speakers wouldn't be possible - I could however add some speakers at the top of floating wall to allow for "height" but would this be a waste of time?
    Sorry for the rambling, a lot to think about before I start to move forward with this - all this has come from an impulse purchase of a projector!!!

Attached Files:

2. Rob Sinden

Rob Sinden
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,139
    I'd be happy to help if you ping over dims of the room and some photos. I think you should definitely being looking at using Atmos with a 5.1.2 systems as a miniumum.

3. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Agree with Rob about Atmos. If you're starting a new project then it makes sense to at least wire for the extra speakers, you can put them in at a later date without worrying about pulling cable.

It's certainly what I have planned for my lounge rebuild.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I think I will be pre wiring for atmos but not looking to change AVR until end of year.
    I put screen up this weekend and think I will live with the temporary setup until I decide what speakers to go for - don't have a great deal of room and struggling to find any decent tall/slim in wall speakers around TV.
    Rob, thanks for the offer I will be in touch once I have made my mind up which way I should be going - can't help but think that I should it all at once which means saving a little more and just go with atmos at the same time!