• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cinema 3D vertical viewing angle

achanin

Standard Member
I have a concern about the 3D vertical viewing angle on the upcoming 32" cinema 3D set. I found a post saying that the 3D vertical angle is about 13 degrees. Doing some basic math, that works out to about a 45cm sweet spot 2m away from the monitor. 45cm is also about the vertical size of the screen. i.e: you have to to stare straight at the screen. Above or below will not work.

Basically, that means that if I sit straight on the couch, I will see 3D. If I lie down on the same couch, I will see a ton of ghosting. If I stand up, I will see a ton of ghosting.

If my numbers are right, the smaller 3D TVs will be unwatchable. I am hoping I am understanding something wrong.

BTW, I tried a brand new Vizio 32" passive 3D TV and saw exactly this effect. I would up returning the set.

boxrick

From the passive 3D sets i have seen this is the case, viewing angles are attrocious. The amount of crosstalk and mess you see from any angle is pretty bad.

banie01

I have a concern about the 3D vertical viewing angle on the upcoming 32" cinema 3D set. I found a post saying that the 3D vertical angle is about 13 degrees. Doing some basic math, that works out to about a 45cm sweet spot 2m away from the monitor. 45cm is also about the vertical size of the screen. i.e: you have to to stare straight at the screen. Above or below will not work.

Basically, that means that if I sit straight on the couch, I will see 3D. If I lie down on the same couch, I will see a ton of ghosting. If I stand up, I will see a ton of ghosting.

If my numbers are right, the smaller 3D TVs will be unwatchable. I am hoping I am understanding something wrong.

BTW, I tried a brand new Vizio 32" passive 3D TV and saw exactly this effect. I would up returning the set.

I have a 55LW550t mounted above a fireplace at @ 4'9'' high, comparatively high towards the sitting positions but as I have the TV on a tilting bracket it is still square to the eye and thats the important factor.
The vertical viewing angle on these sets is I think @ 24deg and the tilting bracket keeps that well within the margin.
So the tilting bracket allows a great degree of height flexibility :D
As for horizontal viewing angle, I have yet to experience any crosstalk issues whatsoever that were not source related(Apart from when I deliberatly moved to an extreme angle to find the range of 3D)
From every seating position in my lounge the 3D is excellent, the best domestic implementation of 3D I've seen(apart from 1 friend who has a passive pj setup...But this runs even that close)

achanin

Standard Member
banie,

The 55LW550tis a 55" set which means that the vertical viewing angle is much larger than the 32". You also have it tilted to point directly at you. I would be curious to know if you point it horizontally and sit below the bottom of the screen, do you see proper 3D?

Can anyone verify the vertical viewing angle? Is is 13? 24? something else?

Alex

RiGoRmOrTiS

banie,

The 55LW550tis a 55" set which means that the vertical viewing angle is much larger than the 32". You also have it tilted to point directly at you. I would be curious to know if you point it horizontally and sit below the bottom of the screen, do you see proper 3D?

Can anyone verify the vertical viewing angle? Is is 13? 24? something else?

Alex

need to be within 25-30 degrees on the smaller sets; gets better the bigger the screen. 25-30 degrees is pretty forgiving. at those angles or higher you should be tilting the screen anyway regardless of whether the screen is 3d or not..

Horizontal wise; Passive 3D is even better than active. sofas can be off to the side and all sorts. (within reason of course)

achanin

Standard Member
25-30 degrees would be excellent. I was reading and seeing more like 13-15 degrees on the Vizio 32" set. Are you sure about 25-30 on the LG 32"?

J4CK DANIELS

I found this a few years ago and it although it is in quite a bit of detail you may be able to utlise some of it for angles and distances etc..
:thumbsup:

(all credit goes to Carlton Bale and THX for its creation)

Attachments

• theater_calculator_v4.0.zip
    30.8 KB · Views: 130

achanin

Standard Member
Thanks Hyperboy

Unfortunately, I did not find a calculation of 3D viewing distances and vertical angles in the tool. Did I miss it?

J4CK DANIELS

Thanks Hyperboy

Unfortunately, I did not find a calculation of 3D viewing distances and vertical angles in the tool. Did I miss it?

no, sorry, i know its not what you needed but I assumed that there may be some similarities between 2D and 3D that might be useful? sorry :blush:

George Mead

banie01 said:
I have a 55LW550t mounted above a fireplace at @ 4'9'' high, comparatively high towards the sitting positions but as I have the TV on a tilting bracket it is still square to the eye and thats the important factor.
The vertical viewing angle on these sets is I think @ 24deg and the tilting bracket keeps that well within the margin.
So the tilting bracket allows a great degree of height flexibility :D
As for horizontal viewing angle, I have yet to experience any crosstalk issues whatsoever that were not source related(Apart from when I deliberatly moved to an extreme angle to find the range of 3D)
From every seating position in my lounge the 3D is excellent, the best domestic implementation of 3D I've seen(apart from 1 friend who has a passive pj setup...But this runs even that close)

This is pretty much bang on - vertical viewing angle is fine between 26 degrees. If you try setting it up to near eye level as possible you can't go wrong but as others have said of this is not possible the 3D effect can somewhat diminish...

Horizontal viewing angle you don't need to worry about at all - pretty much sit where you want and it won't effect the 3D picture quality

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom