Cine4Home - AE700 - Filter

OneEyedStuart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the tweaks Cine4Home did on the AE700 under Video mode where they managed to get colour balance back to 65K and a contracts ratio of 2018:1 they mention the use of a filter.

I have emailed them asking if I can purchase such a filter but alas no one has got back to me.

Anyone every delt with Cine4Home with a view to purchasing something from them, or is there somewhere else I need to go to ?

Any information appreciated.

Regards
Keith Hurst

P.S. now after making damn sure I always turn the PJ of at the end of the night my green panel has stabalised and VB, although still there in certain scenes, is greatly reduced to the degree you have to be looking for it as opposed to actually watching the movie. Very happy with what I watch now on this machine :smashin:

Yeah they described what the filter needs to do and say they found a suitable one.. but I don't think they'll let the cat out of the bag because that's their trade secrets.

I don't know the first thing about filters. I'd be happy just knowing what size and how it's fitted, as I may be tempted to try one of these Hoya filters.

Here's the link to someone who's done the footwork for you.
www.matuschek.net/projektor-tuning/ptae700.html
You can use babelfish to translate but after experimenting with various filters, a type 81 filter was used to colour balance the 'video' mode and achieve higher contrast.
Good luck, Rob. :smashin:

Darwock,

I have read posts indicating that Cine4Home can supply an AE700 fully optimised and configured, this includes the above mentioned filter. If they can do this I do not see why they can't supply the filter as an individual part.

To my knowledge the AE700 takes a standard 77mm filter. It simply screws into the thread on the outer focusing ring. Price for such a Hoya ND2, I was quoted 46 quid form my local photoraphy shop.

I must go back and read the ND2 / FLD filter threads, see who uses what and for what benefit.

Anyhow I'll let you know how I get on with Cine4Home.

KH

homeagain said:
Here's the link to someone who's done the footwork for you.
www.matuschek.net/projektor-tuning/ptae700.html
You can use babelfish to translate but after experimenting with various filters, a type 81 filter was used to colour balance the 'video' mode and achieve higher contrast.
Good luck, Rob. :smashin:

Rob,

Many thanks. I shall investigate this further.

Regards
Keith Hurst

:thumbsup: You're welcome.

I don't follow his testing logic through the translations - on the first page he dismisses 81 as being too green, saying 85 is a better match. Then at the end he goes back to 81, but I don't see why as no advantages to 81 were ever given?

Originally Posted by KeithHurst
P.S. now after making damn sure I always turn the PJ of at the end of the night

does that mean you switch the power off at the plug so its not even in standby mode?

:rolleyes: Hmmm. Well the first comparisons are only Photoshop approximations of what filters would achieve, although he does suggest that a type 85 filter would give best results. Even then 'a guessing game' is the most telling statement ! Once practical experimentation, and the outlay of money, begins, he seems to have achieved his goal with an 81 and some tweaking of the green drive of his PJ. We can't be too critical of someone trying to achieve what Cine4home won't divulge.
Cheers, Rob. :smashin:

No criticism intended - babelfish is not particularly useful for getting the true meaning of an article though!

Any opinions on the link I posted? £7.99 for a 77mm round Cokin filter vs. £37.99 for a 77mm Hoya filter at Jessops... what am I missing? Are Cokins made out of paper or something?

fhSpacey said:
does that mean you switch the power off at the plug so its not even in standby mode?

I switch off using the rocker switch on the back panel of the AE700, after the cooling down period of course.

Regards
Keith Hurst

homeagain said:
:rolleyes: Hmmm. Well the first comparisons are only Photoshop approximations of what filters would achieve, although he does suggest that a type 85 filter would give best results. Even then 'a guessing game' is the most telling statement ! Once practical experimentation, and the outlay of money, begins, he seems to have achieved his goal with an 81 and some tweaking of the green drive of his PJ. We can't be too critical of someone trying to achieve what Cine4home won't divulge.
Cheers, Rob. :smashin:

Yes the photoshop evaluation you would have to dismiss, but it would seem a fair way to start experimenting with filteres without having to grab a bunch from the local photo supplier on a buy or return basis.

From my reading however he seemed to have good results using a CC30R filter on Video mode. The screen shots on the second page seemed to confirm this.

Perhaps its wasn't the Babel fish translation but my own limited reading skills which came to this conclusion :laugh:

On the cheap filter front... 8 quid does seem rather cheap. However do these filters not have their own mounting system which you need to purchase seperately ? You can have a look at the Cokin Filter system here

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/howitworks.htm

Regards
Keith Hurst

Perhaps the Cokin filters are a cheaper glass or plastic? The Hoya FL-Day I have is good quality coated glass.

Gary

Which of the cokin filters are you suggesting as a best subsitute darwock? There are quite a few in the list given in your link.

At that price it may be worth the experiment :devil:

Well, the ones that match the ones in the article. 85B is on the list.. can't remember if there were 81s there or not. I agree by the way that he said a CC30R was best, but ONLY when combined with another filter. As I know absolutely zilch about filters and how they are connected, I intend to keep it as simple as possible!

In my case, I now couldn't live without having the filter on - it's that much better with it. There are other advantages with DLP, but both technologies benefit from optical colour correction rather than digital correction via the pj.

Gary.

I'm not convinced actually. I say that because while cine4home recommended Cinema 1, or natural -1 as a setting for colour, I don't like these options. I watch nearly everything (mainly videogames actually) on 'normal'. It may not give accurate tones but it's bright and colourful.

I do see the deficiencies of video mode despite liking the improved contrast, so I guess I would like to improve that mode. But it would be an act of faith on my part that it would give me an image I like better..!

I tried it and liked it, but I see your point. You also really need some way of recalibrating the colours, as just adding the filter alone won't do it all. You can use other peoples calibrated settings, but they are input specific and vary from source to source i.e. different manufacturer dvd players as well as HTPCs.

Gary.

I switch between the modes while I use the projector. I find that some games and films dont all have the same settings and it often looks better on one while othertimes that same one will look awful. Quick switch at the start of a game/film makes all the difference...

I've ordered an 81B Hoya filter from Jessops, but they have no stock at the mo so it'll be a couple of weeks. I'll post my impressions at the time.

Darwock,

any joy with your filter ?

I received mine today and am going to try it out ( along with an FLD ) over the next few days.

Regards
Keith Hurst

Not heard from them yet. When you say 'along with a FLD' I take it you mean a comparison and not both at once?

Darwock said:
Not heard from them yet. When you say 'along with a FLD' I take it you mean a comparison and not both at once?

No idea as yet the filters are designed so that you can piggy back them on top of one another. I managed ot get both filters ( Hoya ) from the States, shipped, for not much more than the the price of one here so I thought "Hey why not get both" :laugh:

People on here have commented about the FLD so thought I would give that a bash. The 81B is designed ot get aorund the colour balancing issue on Video mode.

I Intened to try them seperately then together. Anyhow Its all good fun tweaking. I'll keep you informed.

KH

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom