1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cine Film to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by shoehorn, Dec 30, 2003.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Morning.
    I want to get some old standard 8 and super 8 cine films onto video - and then DVD - so I'm looking for converters.
    The ones I've come across are the Hama Telescreen Video "3 in 1"and the Camlink CVC100.
    Does anyone have any experience with either of these - or are there any other recomendations.
    Thanks.

2. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a Digital Vidcam I would just play the old films onto a projector screen & video it accordingly, using a tripod for stability. This can then be read onto a PC & written to DVD (presuming you also have DVD writer).

Then take your new DVD & play through normal stand alone DVD player with output into Video recorder & record your video version..

A bit of a convulated route, but at least you start with high quality & no need for any convertors :)

3. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going to be doing this just as soon as I can get a replacement bulb for an old cine projector. Have you had any luck yet shoehorn?

I'd read elsewhere too that it would be best to record directly from the screen so that is my intention. Don't have a tripod but presume ensuring the camcorder is set up on something stable will suffice?

4. Rindless

Rindless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it possible to develop (as a photograph) a specific frame spliced from a strip of Super8 ?

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes a few photographic stores can do this and it can most certainly be done at various sites on the internet. for instance go to http://www.photo2video.co.uk and choose 'other services' from the panel on the left hand side.

shoehorn,
    I have used the Hama telescreen quite succesfully, the only other thing you really need is a variable speed projector - because of the differrences in frame rate between cine and video you may have to play with relative film speeds to avoid strobing or flickering on the video film.

6. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    finally bought a new bulb for the projector and tried to record a test film - I'm getting the strobing effect though - any ideas what I need to do (in simple terms!) to get round this please?

many thanks
    Tracey

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you vary the speed of your cine projector - if yes then set it up and speed up or slow down while watching the result preferably on a TV, if no then depending on what camcorder you have try altering shutter speed.

8. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know it's been a long time since I asked for help but I've finally managed to find the time to transfer my mum's cine films to the camcorder. Thanks so much for your advice Beejaycee :thumbsup: In the end I had to alter the shutter speed on the camcorder and just recorded straight from the projection screen to camcorder :D

My mum is so pleased with the end result :D

Thanks again :clap:
    Tracey

9. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very pleased to hear of your success

10. annbar

annbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    undefinedundefined

Hi with regards to the Hama Telescreen Video 3-in-1 - we have just purchased a new one. We'll report back when we have transferred some single 8 to digital camcorder and then to DVD. Meanwhile if it helps you can find stocks at www.leescameras.demon.co.uk
    The unit cost £79 + p+p

Annbar

11. Martinshady

Martinshady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently converted a few thousand feet of 8mm std and 8mm super to video. Over the past 18 months I have collected about a dozen projectors which I have serviced and put new belts in etc. I have also collected all sorts of cine to video transfer gizmos. As for advice I would recommend the AICO Cine / Video Screen and the Sankyo 1000 projector. I have a couple of these which I have bought from boot sales. Run the film through the projector and set the speed control until the flicker stops. The image on the mirror of the Cine/video Screen (once in focus) will be sharp and the colours vibrant. The trick is to capture this image on the video camera. Always use manual focus and manual white balance, very important. Set your white balance on a bit of exposed film with nowt on it if you can. If anybody wants to buy a projector or Cine/video transfer Gizmo, let me know what you are after, I might have it. Hope this helps. I am really interested in this subject and would be interested in sharing experiences with others

12. jonto1234

jonto1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ANNBAR: you say that you have just brought a new Hama telescreen 3 in 1. Is there a new version / old version of this kit, if so is there any real difference to worry about, or if I pick up an old one will it be OK?

MARTINSHANDY: excellent info thanks. I will be having a go at this soon, since I have just obtained a projector and will get a Hama telescreen. One question: you say "Run the film through the projector and set the speed control until the flicker stops" - does this mean that you need a real time feed from the camcorder to the TV and you watch for flicker on the TV? Becuase I presume that the TV is the only place you will see this flicker, or will you even see it on the camcorder recording itself?

Thanks.

13. lornee

lornee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I have decided it's time to dig out those old super8 movies and get them onto DVD,
    after a quick read up , it all seemed easy. I drop the films into the local TV/photo shop and back comes the vid, ready for me to "pass thru" or record to my Sony DCR-RV33E and capture to PC.
    HOWEVER on further reasearch it, and according to guy at;www.film-to-video.com all persons in this business are theives and charletans!
    But then I found this thread, first I tried the project and video and got pulse/strobe effect. I have also been checking out e-bay for transfer devices but I have 2 main problems there, I dont think either my old Eumig 602D or my camcorder has a variable shutter!
    So has anyone actually used a telecine transfer service in the UK and can comment on the results?
    Thanks in advance Lorne
    ps is it possible to remove the strobeing in an editing program?

14. Old_man

Old_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried copying cine to video by just projecting the film on a normal cine-screen and videoing it. It works OK sometimes, but my video camera tries to lighten up dark scenes and vice versa. Do I need a video camera that has manual exposure control? I've not seen any around - at least not in my (low-ish) price range. Any thoughts? :lease:

15. jonto1234

jonto1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somthing on a forum somewhere that said you need to have manual white balance control and manual focus. But I don't know anything about exposure setting....

16. classybird

classybird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Second City in Birmingham do telecine transfer on a Rank machine - best you can get. The costs vary accordig to how busy they are. On the 8mm shooting forum a guy who posts there regularly said he was recently charged £85 per hour.

The Widescreen Centre in London arrange tk,
    http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/cine.php

again to professional standards (they send it to the Andec lab in Berlin - you can also approach Andec direct for a small saving). http://www.andecfilm.de/

Anyone tried the services advertised on this thread?

17. nonetheless

nonetheless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi martinshady would like to discuss but cant email as you have elected to receive none. cheers

18. Dennis Leighton

Dennis Leighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I thought I would mention in case you hadn't realised but Martinshady's post on this forum is dated 10th October, 2004:oops:

Lower down in this forum another thread has been started by John Renard entitled 'Cine to DVD' which may assist you.

19. Roy999

Roy999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, well I've read and TRIED every post here and it doesn't work !!!

I ended up using a company in Bristol. (link below) They have only done 1/4 of my collection but I have ran out of money. So start buying my vintage train DVDs Today !

For what it's worth you have got to match up the frame rate BEFORE you record the film. Eg Cine is 18fps and TV / Video is 25 fps.

If anyone does find a solution then plse post here.

This is the firm I used - very good -cost £1 per minute of film
    Home Cine to DVD

20. Roy999

Roy999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

21. kr236rk

kr236rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for film-dv transfer (UK) you need a variable-speed projector, preferably a three blade projector

you will need a dv cam that you can manually select 1/50th shutter speed

you must then drop an 18fps* film to 16.67fps (= 16 and two thirds fps) to lose the flicker effect

the flicker drops out because 16,2/3rds x 3 = 50 therefore matching you dv cam's 1/50 shutter speed

you can then fine tune your captured cine film speed in the video edit software you are using

if anyone is interested i can suggest a few more tips and tricks?

;)

R

*frames per second

22. Miodbadger

Miodbadger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KR236RK:

Great help, and yes, please give us some more helpful hints! I'm just starting to try and transfer Std 8 and super 8 and could use the advice

Thanks, Miodbadger

23. kr236rk

kr236rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

no worries - more people use film - more film kodak keeps making ;)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/r_i_c_2007/IMG_3179.jpg

above link: transfer unit ~ d-i-y ~ needs a single surface mirror and a large magnifying glass, both found on the Bay

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/r_i_c_2007/IMG_3184.jpg

the cam is looking through the magnifying glass where the mirror reflects the projector lens

the mirror is at 45 degrees

you get the image right way round because of the mirror

the cam is av hooked to any monitor to help watching for flicker and focus

please ask questions! :)

24. kr236rk

kr236rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    notice the projector has a separate (customised) light source: you must remove the original powerful lamp and replace it with a clear 25 watt bulb

you must then place a piece of white perspex between the lamp and the film gate - this will give you even illumination for your film (no 'hot spot')

you may need to make a hole in the lamp house to position the new lamp - which works off a separate plug

depending on the projector, you may only need to make provision for the extra wire, if your projector has room for the light-fitting, inside

REMEMBER to unplug the projector while you are working on it, and that lights get hot, even 25W ones :-o

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  25. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    All of this is excellent advice but at the end of the day some (perhaps serious at times) loss of quality is inevitable if you film a projected image from a screen.

I've converted literally thousands of feet from film (Standard and Super 8) to video in this way. The projected image is a second generation and is bound to be of lesser quality than the original. That's an unavoidable fact of life but how bad will often depend on the quality of the original (exposure, colour etc.,), the standard of camera used to make the original film, the qualityof the projector lens, the quality of the video recording camera, and, perhaps most importantly, the quality of the screen you are using - a cheaper screen will lead to a grainier image, for example. To be honest, no matter how careful I've been to match everything along the lines suggested, I've never been 100% pleased with the result but perhaps I'm looking for too much quality when I view in the eventual product on the TV.

Reproduction services vary in quality as well. Some of them use the same or similar systems to those mentioned above but the best reproduce each frame one at a time using some sort of electronic scanning system (bit vague about the particular details of that I'm afraid). Their results match the original very closely - but, unsurprisingly, they cost a fair bit.

Richard

26. kr236rk

kr236rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with respect, aerial transfer with a single surface mirror uses no screen - you are videoing into the projector's lens, you are looking directly at the raw illuminated film in the film gate - try it sometime?

bests

;)

R

27. Hangerhead

Hangerhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    does anyone know where I can develop a single 8mm cartridge (UK/Scotland??)
    My mom had an old cine8 Canon camera and we found during the weekend that it still has a tape in it...

28. kr236rk

kr236rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hi Hangerhead,

contact these guys ~ e-mail: post @ super8.nl

new filmstocks menu

if your film is Super 8 try here:

http://www.andecfilm.de/en/e_start.htm

any questions - please ask and i will try and find the answer! :)

if they can't process it they will know someone who can :)

hope your film is still ok btw , has it been in the camera a long while?

;)

Ric

ps. another link here

http://www.super8.nl/english/e_single8.htm#e_details

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  29. kr236rk

kr236rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. Hangerhead

Hangerhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cheers guys - gives me something to get started on - no idea if the film cartridge itself is in good condition or not - been in camera for last 20+ years!