1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cigarettes and Torches ????

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, Mar 7, 2003.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is not an attempt at humour, I am genuinly curious...

In American films, when someone gets a cigarette out, they always tap the end on the box, three or four times. Why:confused:

Also in American films, if someone uses a torch, the always have to bang it on something to get it to work. Do American torches not have on/off switches?

God, listen to this rubbish:rolleyes: You can tell I am getting better cant you.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because they're too dumb to reach in for the fag?

And it's easier to hit things to make em work, rather than finding out where the switch is! :D

3. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    With the cigarette its too make sure the tobacco is spread evenly through the ciggie.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tapping is to compress any loose baccy and ensure an even burn which also prevents the cherry falling off and other cigarette related nightmares. it worked when I used to smoke.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,021
    I though this was their type of cigarettes packet the they just had a hole in the top and taped it to get the cigarettes through the hole.:blush: EDIT miss read the question.

Don’t know about that one but have you ever had a piece of equipment that did not work and you taped it (hit it) on the side to get it working.;)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As has already been said by Geezer and James, this is why, but it makes no difference at all with modern pre-manufactured cigarettes, only with ones that you roll yourself. Hence, why this tradition was necessary in ye olde days when cigarettes came without filters - tapping the cigarrette shook loose the tobacco at the edges.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for hitting the torch to get it to work, this can probably be chalked up as one of those movie cliches that is used so much most people don't even notice them. In some cases, it's an easy foreshadowing of the torch going out at an inopportune point later in the movie. (usually when the nasty thing is coming around the corner)

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    When I smoked I used to tap the ciggie against the packet but it was mainly to get the ciggie into a better position in your fag hand : especially if you had a pint in one other or both hands at the time.

Mostly I'd just hook the ciggie out using a little toothing and a bit of a lip grip (tricky with a fresh tightly packed...er pack) thus ensuring the safety of pint in the uninvolved fist. This was normally after biting off the wrapping and spitting cellophane/ foil ripper into free space.

filthy habit !

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is when you go through all the unnecessary kerfuffle you used to :D

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SG, there's a thread about Squirrels on uk.rec.gardening! :D

11. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The torch thing is just a movie cliché, like squealing tyres. No matter what road surface, cars will always make a tyre squealing noise when making a quick getaway, regardless of whether traction is lost or not. :)

Roger Ebert had a whole load of brilliant movie clichés in his books, haven't bought one in a long long time so don't know if he still does them.

12. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Volvo got peeved with the makers of the movie "The Saint" (with Val Kilmer in lead role) - they lent them their new C70 Coupe with standard traction control for the front tyres. The movie guys disabled it to give Simon a squealing tyre getaway, thus spoiling Volvo's plans for an ad campaign featuring the Saint in perfect control in their car.:(

13. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's correct but it hasn't been necessary for decades. I think that now it's become an instinctive reaction for males (females don't do this) in rather the same way that dogs instinctively know where to stick their noses for a good sniff.

14. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The torch thing maybe a movie cliche, but I do have a torch that needs tapping. Its not an old torch and its used on a regular basis but the problem could be one of three things, dampness on the battery contacts, dodgy contacts on the bulb, or unatural forces. Take ya pick.

The only thing is the torch is kept under the stairs.:rolleyes:

And why do I still have that scene in Alien as Captian Dallas crawling through those air vents perminently etched on my mind?

NO NOT THAT WAY THE OTHER WAY!!!

15. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing I noticed last night that they always do. When they are taking tablets they always throw their head back. I'm suprised they don't get whiplash.

16. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Another thing I noticed last night that they always do. When they are taking tablets they always throw their head back. I'm suprised they don't get whiplash"

I do that :blush: !!

Stace :D

17. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    me too, I think i've seen Taxi Driver too many times!:laugh:

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They learn that from the "Jim Carey Guide to Subtle Acting." It's required reading in all acting courses. ;)