Cigarette lighter mains adapter

Westindieman

Ive bought one of these but it doesnt give enough power to my Ring RAC635 tyre inflater to work (or it could be faulty) though it does power on. Its prolly not meant to power some things but I'm not an electrician. Just would like to help to know what I need to look for to make sure I get at least the same power as my car lighter from the adapter.

Last edited:

IronGiant

You need to get something that can put out at least as much amperage/wattage as your inflator requires. 6W could just about do one interior courtesy light.

Your inflator needs 120W which is equivalent to 10A.

This might just do it :

Amazon product

Last edited:

Westindieman

You need to get something that can put out at least as much amperage/wattage as your inflator requires. 6W could just about do one interior courtesy light.

Your inflator needs 120W which is equivalent to 10A.

This might just do it :

Amazon product

Hey, I'm really greatful for your knowledge. I was looking at the inflator specs but couldnt see anything about wattage so thought as it was 12v it would be OK. Many thanks

John7

No, it’s the Amp‘s that do the work. Your mains adapter can only supply 600mA (0.6 Amps). You need at least 10 Amps as IronGiant says. I use a portable car starter/power bank to run my tyre inflator.

Westindieman

No, it’s the Amp‘s that do the work. Your mains adapter can only supply 600mA (0.6 Amps). You need at least 10 Amps as IronGiant says. I use a portable car starter/power bank to run my tyre inflator.

How do you find those starters for starting when battery has died? I considered buying one instead of the jump leads a few years back when I had a car that kept having starting issues when it got cold. I read mixed reviews though.

John7

In the 4 years that I've had mine (10 Amp unit) I've used it 3 or 4 times to start my wife's car, my car and neighbours cars, all with flat batteries and it's worked fine. Just connected it to the battery terminals and left for a few minutes before starting them. It's main duty though is to run the tyre inflator as my car's 12 V sockets are a pain to access and need the ignition switched on to activate them.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
There's 2 types of power jump pack, those that use lead acid packs and those that use lithium ion.

The lead acid packs can be left fully charged for months without issue, but the li-ion will eventually fail if left like this (called cell rot), so are better suited for regular use - or being stored partially discharged which kind of negates the reason for having one in the first place!!

Li -ion packs are lighter and can provide higher starting currents and will run accessories for longer so it's a case of whichever suits your requirements.

12v 10a mains power packs are available, but can be expensive and are designed for things like CB radios. The portable battery units are much better for tyre inflators etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom