1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cieling Moutning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by henry1234, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the correct bracking for ceiling mounting. But I need to mount that to the ceiling.

The ceiling is below a spare room so no problems bolting through the floor if needed. I have strong josts about 14inch apart and wooden floor boards above.

I currently think I will lay two metal strips across the josts in the room above and hang down the four bolts from these.

I know about the Genie Lift to get it up there.

Can I have some ideas and recommendations as well as product names and where they can be purchased.

I could screw directly into the josts from below with real heavy duty screws. Does anyone do that!

2. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My old PJ was a seleco svp 400 which was coach bolted directly into the joists. My current Barco is I think bolted into the joists also. Dont forget that if you walk on joists they support the weight of a grown man with ease, not much difference in weight between a PJ and a fully loaded man... or should that be the other way round :clown:

Steve

3. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The idea of screwing up directly into the wooden joists from below just doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Do you happend to know what type of screws are used?

4. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Very big coach bolts 6-9" long, I wouldn't use screws:eek:

Steve

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    In some situations it is not possible to get the floor up above the projector so coach bolting is pretty much the only answer. I awalays try to spread the load over at least two preferably three joists.
    But as you can get to the room above hanging your projector should be easy (ish). I would look ast using either a 22mm box section and cust a notch in the top of the joists then use threaded rods to attach to your ceiling mount.
    Alternativly you can buy really strong rightangle brackets like joist hangers. whchio woula llow you to screw to the joists between the pasterboard and the floor and again use threaded rod.

I do this about once a week so it seems pretty easy but if you haveany doubts call in a proffesional if nothing else just to check it's ok. Having a projector land in your lap is pretty scarry.

I always hang from the projector once it's up. I recon if it can hold me as well it should stay put.

6. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies.

I ended up with two huge metal sections across the joists in the spare room after lifting 3 floor boards. I have 4 threaded rods hanging down and I even bolted the metal girders to the joists.

It took an angle grinder to cut the metal which is about 5mm thick shaped in a c section. I got the metal girder as an offcut from a metal yard for £6.

I managed to align the bracket perfectly to the screen and it didn't move once I hung the PJ.

A friend helped me hang the PJ, which was a hell of a job, even minus the lenses. (simon69 must be superhuman).

I did think I might move it backward or forward a little at a later date but after the install I've decided it's there for good, never to be moved again. This is something I really don't want to have to do again.

Roland, had you been drinking when you wrote you post

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.