1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chunky chopping baords

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jeff, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I've never been able to get my front floor standers nice and stable on the floor, the carpet and underlay is too thick for the spikes and the speakers aren't heavy enough. Today I decided to do something about it. I bought a couple of thick heavy chopping baords to use as a base for the speakers (with spikes). It seems to work great, the speakers are now nice an firm and no longer wobble. Sound wise they now sound at least twice as good. Honest ;)

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jef,
    I put something heavy on mine (not Mrs Chip :D ) and they sound better. I think the spanish moderator also used heavy stones.

3. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a set of Mission M73's which are ideally meant to be filled with sand in the base to aid sound and stability.
    I didnt fancy the idea though as if I ever sell them it would be awkward to get it back out or would cost a fortune in carridge!

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    If your floor is wooden Jeff you could try this. Should sound better than your board, or concrete block for that matter.

Get some masking tape and make a patch roughly where the spikes are going to go when speaker is in place. Next carefully place spiked speaker in position making single indentations through the masking tape on top of carpet.

Now get some thick, long self tapping wood screws with philips heads and screw them in to the floor directly where the spikes punctured the masking tape. You'll have to be carefull doing this as the first three are easy and the last is a pain to get right.

Once screwed well in so they are down at bottom of weave of carpet you should be able to position the spikes on to the top of the philips head adn then adjust spikes to level etc.

Have fun if you try it. If you have concrete floor...well you could always get some longer, sharper stainless steel spikes.

Gordon

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    haha They think I've gone mad. If I give up this hobby I can always take up cooking. :p