Chunks of luv-er-ly DV !!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Moog, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Moog

Moog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Allo again folks !

Just a quick question here...

I have just filmed a live event - about 45 minutes, - can you guess what I'm gonna ask ??

Weeellll, I want to bring it onto my pc ( obviously ) but was wondering, should I break it down into smaller chunks, or is it ok to reel in the whole sha-bang ? Are there advantages / disadvantages to either method ??

Thanks o-knowledgable-ones !

Moog

2. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having been there and tried both:

I'd recommend breaking it down into smaller chunks of no more than 5 mins a piece. It won;t make any difference to the overall quality, but it will make editing etc easier on the ol' PC.

Chris 'kiwiranger' Parke

3. crichard

crichard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moog,

This depends a lot on what the specification of your PC , the Operating system you're using , the capture hardware/software and how much free disk space you have.

If you're using as an example Win98, on 500 Mhz PIII you probably would want to break it up into more manageable chunks, if however you were lucky enough to run XP or 2000 with an NTFS partition with plenty of free disk space you could quite easily chuck it all down.

If you're in this position your next consideration would be making sense of the editing. Breaking it down is probably best until you master the capture and edit software and feel comfortable with how it operates.

Regarding disk space DV requires approx 1Gb of disk space for every 4 minutes; which means you need somewhere in the region of 42 Gb of free space. You'll also need additional free space for any sound clips, titles and the final edited and encoded file. For MPEG2 45 mins you'll need somewhere int he region of 400 Mb.

Hope that helps a bit.

CarlR

4. Moog

Moog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys,

i'll be working on that shortly - ( just trying to clear some drive space)

just to add to that in case there are any further ideas,
    im running on a 1.4GHZ pc, and in the process of clearing one of my 2 40G drives for video usage...
    i'll be havin fun soon
    ahhh yeah

5. crichard

crichard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moog,

I was thinking about this the other day and maths was never a subject I enjoyed at school :)... however 45 minutes is roughly 12 Gb and not 42 Gb, the 400Mb figure assumes the lossiest encoding, that figure will probably be quite a bit larger, probably around 1Gb if you select better quality.

All the best

Carl