1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHT-8R anyone?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MS-Yam, Oct 27, 2004.

1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All!

Until I started to read threads/posts on the AV forums, I hadnt even heard of companies like BK, SVS and Velodyne. From what I understand though, they all make excellent equipment, but they don't appear in the magazines as they dont tend to be as involved in marketing as the likes of Mordaunt-Short, Wharfedale etc... Maybe they're that good they don't need to?

I've read a bit about the Velodyne CHT-10R, looked at their Website, and am impressed.

What I am wondering though, is whether I would be better off going for the smaller CHT-8R? The reason I am thinking this, is because my room is only small - around 3.5m square. However, I have done a search on here for the 8" model and cant seem to find anything.

I therefore have three questions:

1) Are these new models from Velodyne?
    2) Does anybody here own one and can give me their opinions of it?
    3) Will I be better of going for the 8" model rather than the 10"? (better on the wallet!)

Any advice much appreciated! Cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    1) They are new models
    2) Pass
    3) Looking at the specs the 8" model doesn't go very deep as according to the Velodyne website it's response is only 34-140 Hz +/-3 dB

Which one you consider depends on what you want it to do as the 8" will provide some lower end to a set of satellites but it won't give you particularly deep bass if that is what you want.

If you live near Tunbridge Wells, forum sponsors AV-Sales have the new ones on demo in one of their three demo rooms so you can hear the differences for yourself.

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Having a smallish room doesn't neccessarily mean you need to go for a sub with the smallest possible driver. You are more likely to get greater extension from larger subs, although there is the odd exception.

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    read my reviews on this forum - I've got the CHT-10R and it's amazing...my room is quite small too - 4m*5m...

5. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I would go with a 10" as an 8" would be nice if on the odd occasion you want to give it some welly, most 8" subwoofers can't go that extra bit where you think :eek: Oh my word, how cool is this (unless you go to the Velodyne SPL8 mkII :thumbsup: ) The 10" CHT will give you better sound at the same levels as an 8" in terms of extension & depth because the 8" is going to have to work harder to create the same SPL levels. This is all due to the excursion and surface area of the cone. A 10" cone generally has just over 2 times the surface area than an 8" including the slightly bigger excursion and the CHT has a little more power which isn't going to give you twice the SPL level, as you technically need twice the power to do that, but is just helps to move the extra mass of the 10" driver.

I hope this hasn't been too technical for you, but if you need any assistance, then please call me.

You are better off going for the 10" as you will always have more in reserve to play with.

Regards

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent replies lads, just what I needed to know, think i'll start saving a few more pennies!

Also, one other thing, has anyone triend the new SVS? On the whole, which company (SVS or Velodyn) make the best subs? I would imagine this is a tough question to answer, probably coming down to personal preference, but any thoughts are appreciated - cheers.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It isn't a tough question to answer but an impossible one as you have phrased it. Both companies make a wide range of subs and it depends on which sub you are comparing to which.

I doubt whether any Velodyne could match an equivalently priced SVS if that answers your question and the same applies for most products sold "factory direct" as they don't have to factor in the retailer's margin.

The price comparison is much closer in USA as the Velodynes are heavily discounted over there.

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    On the forum both SVS have there own following who will swear by their own.
    SVS offer bang for the buck and will offer very good performance which is hard to beat in that price margin.
    On the other extreme Velodyne's Digital Drive Series are becoming popular but are also very expensive. At just under £2000 for the smallest and over £3000 for the biggest that is a lot of money to spend on a subwoofer.
    However, they are not the ugly boxes often associated with subwoofers and come in some very nice looking finishes. On top of that it comes with an onboard computer featuring a whole host of tools, including a parametric eq and a professional microphone to calibrate with. Velodyne also promise professional help to set up a Digital Drive in your home.
    I am of course slightly biassed as I have just bought a Velodyne DD15, but I have also owned an SVS.
    If you can, try and demo the subs you are interested in. My home is always open to anyone wishing to come for a DD15 demo.

9. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Just heard the new CHT-10R in our demo room, brand new out of the box so needed running in! For the money it sounded very very good for a ported sub.

I have to say that for a budget subwoofer and compared to the old CHT which was a cube with a letterbox in the front, these are more sophisticated looking. We had the all black version with a piano black front, blue led which flashes when you change a setting with the remote control!!! which by the way is quite versatile in as much as it has power on/off, mute, phase 0/90/180/270 degrees, light (turns led on/off), night (night mode), DSP and volume. The sub has binding posts on the back for high level input RCA in/out, frequency control and two buttons for gain up/down.

Now for the most important bit, the sound. The CHT-10R, I have to say it will be a hit, being that it is ported it drops very well but surprisingly the sound stays tight with no over hang. Also, for a 10" with 185 watts, it goes loud!!! The most popular will be the CHT-8R as it is very similar as the 10" but doesn't quite go as low although it has one advantage which is the size - it is 2/3's as wide and not as tall and is only 25 watts less power. I ran the CHT-10R along side a Speakercraft X12 £699rrp and I couldn't believe what I heard. The CHT-10R went deeper and punchier, it was much more musical and looked much nicer than the X12 with far better build quality.

Anyway I hope this helps and confirms to you your choice of the CHT series.

10. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for that Hayes. Will look into it