1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHT-15 Question for Jase

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RichardM, Oct 9, 2002.

1. RichardM

RichardM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase,

I hope you don,t mind me directing this one at you!

I too will soon have one of these fine subs (thanks to Uncle E and power-buys), which will replace my rel Q200E, and hook up to my upgraded A1SE, which BTW I'm very happy with :cool: .

My Question is, how is yours connected?

Do you use just the low level connection, or do you also use the speaker level connection (I notice there are no seperate high and low level volume controls)?

If just the low level is used, how is it for music?

The reason I ask this is that due to the increased size of this beast over my rel, I can no longer fit the sub between the TV and the Front right speaker. The only place place this will fit in my room is next to the rear right speaker behind the main seating position. This means 8m of sub cable & speaker cable if I decide to connect that way, this = £££.:eek:

Yours and others views are much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Jase will be along shortly, he is judging the Miss Velodyne competition at present. :D

Regarding the sub cable, I have mine connected via a 9m Ixos sub cable which only cost £20. ;)

3. RichardM

RichardM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has to be the HGS-18, though she's a very big girl:eek: :D

Thanks for your reply bob, am currently using IXOS 1081 5m cable which i brought when I got my rel, thought I'd spend a bit more and go for the QED QUNEX 2 which is £54 for 8m, do you think there will be any noticable difference between the IXOS you mention and the QED. If there is no real difference then I'll save my money and put it towards my HGS-18 fund, hopefully due to mature in a couple of years time,:D round about the time Mrs M might be talking to me again.:eek: :eek: :D :D

Cheers

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Richard

I use the low level phono connection only and use the Stereo mode on the amp for music and its excellent.

You could connect via both high & low level (for Direct & Pure Direct modes) but it means extra speaker cables and you´d have to flick the crossover switch on the back of the sub in/out each time you went from movies to music etc. I couldn´t be bothered with that so just use the Stereo mode.:)

It´s a superb sub, you won´t be disappointed.:)

Cheers

Jase

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9m lead that I'm using is the Ixos1081, don't think there is any need to spend any more, some will say there is, but as long as the lead is well sheilded from the mains and other current carrying cables a more expensive cable would not benefit IMO. ;)

6. RichardM

RichardM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks bob & jase for your replies.

think I'll go for low level only and see how it compares with the pure direct I used to use with my rel, I,m sure this will be plenty good enough for my purposes. Will also go for the IXOS 9m cable, may well be moving house in about a year (might not be soon enough for my neighbours once the CHT-15 arrives:D ) and don't want to spend too much on long cables that I may not need a year down the line.

Thanks again guys for your quick and helpful replies.:)