CHT-10 - a newbie needs help!

jonhead34

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm very enthusiastic about Home Cinema, but a complete newbie. Considering the company on this forum and the standard of the other posts, I'm almost embarrassed to post my newbie questions, but I guess you have to learn somewhere, so here goes!

Today my new Velodyne CHT-10 arrived. I purchased it following advice on here. It completely looks the business and I can't wait to start using it...but I don't even know how to connect it up, so I've come here to plead your help!!

My old sub was cheap Hitachi that came as part of an all-in-one. It was simply connected from a single "Subwoofer out" phono socket on the amp to a single phono "audio in" socket on the sub - and that's about as far as my experience with subs goes!

With my CHT-10, I'm now faced with various connection possibilities, but don't have the knowledge to know which I should use. The manual talks about the line-level and speaker-level inputs and high pass and low pass crossover, but I have to admit this means very little to me. I feel the manual skims over the details assuming expert knowledge (which, in fairness, most purchasers probably have!), but it doesn't go nearly close enough top my "dummy" level of understanding, so I'm a bit bewildered!

The amp I'm using is a Sony STRDE697, which unlike the sub is pretty is fairly low-end. My satellite speakers are wired directly from the amp and there is a single "Subwoofer out" phono socket. My question is what do I do next to get my sub working? I'd be very grateful to hear and advice and any recommended texts that would be good for a newbie like me to improve my level of understanding in subwoofer (and all home cinema) technology.

Apologies for posting such a basic post. Thank you very much for reading my post, and to anyone who may be so kind as reply.

Cheers

Jon

Hi again all

Having explored the forums a bit more I realise that this probably wasn't the best place for this post - apologies if so!

I have found some quite useful info from Google searches, but I'd still be very interested to read your comments.

Thank you

Jon

The connection will be made with a phono cable connecting the sub out socket on the amp to the left input on the sub. This is a low level connection and is all that is required so you won't have to bother with the high level or speaker level connection at all.

Set the sub volume to about one third and follow the manual for the rest

Ian J

Thank you very much - this is most appreciated and most helpful!

It seems strange to be only using the left input. Under which circumstances would you use the right as well - or the other connection options? If you had a more sophisticated amp I guess!!

Cheers

Jon

There are some amps with twin outlets for subs but not many and they aren't necessarily high end either.

The high level connectors are mainly used for connecting to a stereo amp and that feeds a full range signal to the sub which then uses it's internal crossover instead of the crossover in the amp that most people use instead in an AV amp

Ian

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this - my understanding is much better already. I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom