Chromecast with Google TV Owners Thread

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been doing the rounds now for a few months but seems like an announcement is any time now. Really glad they’re finally doing one with a remote-well overdue.

Seems to be in the same price range as the Rokus and Fire TV sticks as well-around £50.

So if you’re not wanting a Shield but wanting the full Android TV experience, this is the way to go.

Originally I had a Chromecast and Chromecast ultra, I sold them as I didn't get on not having a remote and I couldn't seem to get more than Dolby digital 2.0 from Netflix, prime, or anything streaming service. Where in my Firestick with the same TV I can get Dolby digital 5.1 from any of those services if the film or show is 5.1. so for me that will be something to consider. Liking what I'm seeing so far though.

I’m pleased it will come with Dolby Vision this time round. And the remote looks really good.

I can't think they'd release a device now that wasn't 5.1 and Atmos capable. If it gets good feedback then I will probably be in.

Now I know why I couldn't get 5.1 from the Chromecast Ultra, my tv doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus so I could only get Dolby Digital 2.0. So if it's the same on this Device then I'll need a new TV :(

Luckily the Firestick supports standard Dolby Digital so I can get 5.1 from that on most apps.

Yeah looks decent.

A shame the plug doesn't include the option of using an ethernet cable...

Some leaked specs

There is a quad-core Amlogic CPU clocked at up to 1.9GHz paired with 2GB of RAM. Given the presence of Cortex-A55 cores, this is not the S905X2 (A53). Rather, it is the S905X3, which has slight performance improvements over its predecessor.

chromecast-google-tv-unboxing-specs-1.jpg
chromecast-google-tv-unboxing-specs-2.jpg

4.4gb of usable storage is criminal in 2020.

I‘ll see what the official announcement is like but think it’s a pass from me now.

Apps? Games?

If it supports Google stadia, surely all the games are streamed anyway so no install?

As for apps, not Amjad a problem on my firestick with 4gb storage, can't see an issue with this?

Depends what your usage is though.

I asked on Reddit about the Movies App on the new Chromecast and whether it has had a UI change and got a reply saying they've removed it altogether and it's been merged into Google TV as a whole.

The more I find out the more disappointed I get.

Yeah looks decent.

A shame the plug doesn't include the option of using an ethernet cable...
It's been confirmed on Reddit that USB-C hubs and ethernet adapters seem to work with the new CC.

It's been confirmed on Reddit that USB-C hubs and ethernet adapters seem to work with the new CC.

Yeah but to me, that’s an extra purchase when they could have just put the Ethernet port in the plug like they did with the Ultra.

Just makes it messy IMO.

Yeah but to me, that’s an extra purchase when they could have just put the Ethernet port in the plug like they did with the Ultra.

Just makes it messy IMO.
I can't disagree but I also think we're not necessarily the mainstream customer who'd have no need for the port. Google will always sell them a multipack of Nest WiFi devices if required.

Very good news. Makes you wonder why they didn’t ship it in the box.....?

(More money is the answer)

EDIT: Ethernet adapter is available for pre-order @ £19.99

Last edited:

£59.99 or £89.99 with 6 months of Netflix bundled in.

I am weak :facepalm: so I ordered the Snow version (minus bundle)-arrives October 16th. Figured I should give it a go before making judgment on the UI side of things.

Be interested to know if you can get Dolby digital 5.1 out of your Beam with that as the older Chromecasts only supported Dolby Digital Plus

Be interested to know if you can get Dolby digital 5.1 out of your Beam with that as the older Chromecasts only supported Dolby Digital Plus

l’ve asked on Reddit.

Match Dynamic Range seems to be an option so SDR and HDR is sorted, but frame rate matching seems to be missing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom