Question Chromecast vs. Travel Router with DLNA Server

StefanBeukes

Standard Member
Having got fed up with trying to connect a Chromecast to hotel WiFi I decided that a travel router is the way to go. I got the D-Link DIR 510L and it does everything it says on the tin bar one. I use CineXPlayer to play the videos. If the video is on my iPad the Chromecast casting icon appears and I can happily stream the video to the TV. However if the video content is on the memory stick connected to the travel router and I then access it via the router DLNA server from CinexPlayer, the casting icon disappears.

Does anybody have any ideas why this is the case. Seems to be by design but as am not a natural techie I just can't figure out why.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
I'd guess data journey.
On "tablet" goes from tablet to router, then from router to chromecast. All via wifi.
On router, goes from router to tablet to router to chromecast? Because that's how chromecast works? It isn't the DLNA client, the player app in the tablet is.

StefanBeukes

Standard Member
I'd guess data journey.
On "tablet" goes from tablet to router, then from router to chromecast. All via wifi.
On router, goes from router to tablet to router to chromecast? Because that's how chromecast works? It isn't the DLNA client, the player app in the tablet is.
Many thanks Nvingo - the plot thickens however - I am trying the same thing but this time taking the content from a Seagate Wireless Plus drive and I have started noticing that the casting icon appears with some files and not with others - almost like it depends on the codec or the container. I will study the different files and report back.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom