Chromecast to tv sound to an amp

General Waste

Established Member
Reaction score
Difficult to find the correct forum for this but I am trying to find a way to cast video from a phone to the tv but then send the sound to a separate amp .
I am trying to set up a home karaoke for fun parties.
I can attach my phone to a separate guitar amp for the sound and add the mics there but I also want to cast the utube karaoke lyrics to my tv.
Chrome cast will not let me simultaneously send video to tv but sound somewhere else. I have tried local cast but it only works for stuff you already have stored on your phone.

Cast sound and video to TV.... TV line level sound out (RCA analogue or optical digital via a D-A converter) out to mixer and amp. Or even a headphone out from the TV?
TV speakers sound down/off probably.

Didn't think of that, for home cinema I do have a surround system which I think has some spare rca outputs I also have some rca to 1/4 jack adapters.
I would also need to combine the L and R rca to a single mono ? and then plug that in to the guitar amp. Would I risk damaging anything going direct to my guitar amp like that. Same also for the option of using the tvs headphone output direct into the guitar amp sounds like i might braek something !

I could just use the movi surround system I suppose but its not a very powerful one and needs cranking right up for karaoke party.

TV headphone circuit will be fine joining L+R to make mono; they have to be 'short circuit' proof when plugging in the headphone jacks.

Big issue with headphone is you need the volume cranked up high... and if you don't turn down before unplugging you blast the TV speakers loud.

A few TV brands allow setting the headphone socket volume level separately from the speakers volume (e.g. Panasonic) others allow setting them to output a fixed line level (and not then mute the TV speakers when plugged in).

Check the manual: always good to :rtfm:

Most surround systems don't have line level RCA outs... them wot do are very old (TAPE recording outs, which again would usually tolerate joining L+R to mono) or are typically 'pre outs' for driving power amplifiers and vary the output level with the surround system volume control. That latter would not work well for your application.

TV headphone circuit will be fine joining L+R to make mono; they have to be 'short circuit' proof when plugging in the headphone jacks.

Big issue with headphone is you need the volume cranked up high... and if you don't turn down before unplugging you blast the TV speakers loud.

A few TV brands allow setting the headphone socket volume level separately from the speakers volume (e.g. Panasonic) others allow setting them to output a fixed line level (and not then mute the TV speakers when plugged in).

Check the manual: always good to :rtfm:

Most surround systems don't have line level RCA outs... them wot do are very old (TAPE recording outs, which again would usually tolerate joining L+R to mono) or are typically 'pre outs' for driving power amplifiers and vary the output level with the surround system volume control. That latter would not work well for your application.
You are right there is no output other than the surround speakers and ARC to tv its a lg sr906sb
lge.JPG
So I am just left with using the tvs headphone out socket direct to my guitar amp via a 3.5mm to 1/4 jack adapter. The tvs sound does cut out when headphones are attached.
That wont damage anything will it ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom