Chromecast, Hi-Res and an iPhone....

NM20

After getting used to my system ( Arcam A18, CCA and Tannoy DC6) I have decided to try some Hi-Res streaming. I have always used Spotify, and I am happy with it, but I recognise the quality of sound isn’t great.

I noticed Amazon were offering HD for free, so I started a free trial. However, it won’t stream to a Chromecast from an iphone. I tried it on my Sonos and the sound is much better.

I then saw Apple were offering three months free, so I signed up, but again hit the same issue, it won’t stream from an iPhone to Chromecast.

So, what to do? Do I change out the Chromecast? If so, what do I go for, a node 2i? Apple TV? Or something else? I am happy to spend a bit of cash to get a better quality of sound. What do you recommend?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you can wait a while then Spotify are launching a Hifi quality service later in the year.

NM20

If you can wait a while then Spotify are launching a Hifi quality service later in the year.

Thanks, I did see this. Haven’t they been launching for a longtime?

I am frustrated that the CCA seems to a weak link in the chain (I suppose you could say it was my iPhone that is being the nuisance).

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
They did a trial about three or four years ago, but made an announcement in February that it was actually happening but roll out would be staged geographically with no time frame yet other than later this year. They are now the last to jump on the cd quality streaming wagon since Amazon and lately apple have launched services on top of tidal, qobuz and deezer. Amazon and apple seemed to just include it in their premium bundles so hoping Spotify will do the same since they hiked their priced this month , maybe in anticipation.

NM20

Fingers crossed. I think Spotify’s setup is much better from what I can see. I couldn’t work out how to get back to the search screen in Apple Music, given their desire to have uncomplicated and simple systems, Apple Music looks a mess.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Worth keeping an eye on this thread -

NM20

I downloaded Tidal and that works fine. However, I assume the CCA can’t stream the Master quality?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
CCA should stream up to 24/96 but not the 24/192 (or it might but will down sample it to 24/96) I think.

Nico72

Thanks, I did see this. Haven’t they been launching for a longtime?

I am frustrated that the CCA seems to a weak link in the chain (I suppose you could say it was my iPhone that is being the nuisance).
I had the same problem a few years ago with iPhone and CCA. I bought an older airport express but that was impossible to set up with just an iPhone or iPad. It needed a MacBook, which I do not have. The latest airport express did cost an arm and a leg. In the end I bought a cheap Motorola G4 android phone second hand for £60. No SIM. Just used to stream music and a few apps. Big screen, good battery life and works perfectly with CCA. I do think Apple are the nuisance here. But that is just my opinion.

NM20

Good idea. I would just get concerned that apps stop working with the older phone OS. However, not using Android, I am not sure how frequently that happens (it certainly happens too much with Apple).

Nico72

Good idea. I would just get concerned that apps stop working with the older phone OS. However, not using Android, I am not sure how frequently that happens (it certainly happens too much with Apple).
Unfortunately any OS getting older means that in time it will drop support for new apps. My G4 is android 7.0 and still going strong. I installed Hi-Fi Cast for my music libraries on NAS and PC (Plex). I also stream via TuneIn radio, Deezer, Radio Paradise apps for Android and they all cast to the CCA without issues. Your CCA is not the weak link, but Apple products will not work with it in my experience.

NM20

I like the quality of Tidal, but £20 per month is steep!

I think I will wait until Spotify Hifi comes out, if I don’t like it I will look at alternatives, your suggestion of an Android phone being one of them. I may even get a cheap tablet and leave it in the room all the time as the Music controller.

larkone

Distinguished Member
@Tactman Amazing if it does because the tech specs say the CCA's max is 24/96. More likely the s/w is mis-reporting

Tactman

@Tactman Amazing if it does because the tech specs say the CCA's max is 24/96. More likely the s/w is mis-reporting

it for sure have 24/192 dac inside, and i can play 24/192 files without problems, now the question is : down sampling or not...probably not...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom