Chromecast audio

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by everett_psycho, Sep 29, 2015.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    This type of thing is annoying. Spotify is rock solid on mine, the only exception being that I sometimes have to restart the app if I have been casting to a single CC Audio and then want to cast to a group or vice versa. Once it has connected, it never drops.

I am also using Plex with my iMac as a server and my iPhone/iPad as remotes. This acts strangely as if I try to cast directly from the iMac the CC Audios are often not visible, but when I do so from the mobile devices they always show up, even though this still represents the iMac casting directly to them (I think!)

Are you running yours on 2.4 or 5.0ghz wifi?

2. B210Bandit

B210Bandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm using 5ghz but have tried both 5 and 2.4 and the same issue exists. I have also just installed a TP link powerline wifi station and it has the same issues sitting on 2.4.

The only other thing that occurs to me is that I use Unlocator & some DNS changes in the router to get around Netflix geo blocking (still getting the US Netflix :). It shouldn't mess with a simple CC Audio>Google Servers>Spotify look up but I'll do some digging on this.

Funnily enough it behaves well doing multi-room, group or otherwise.

It's a nice insight into how if you control the hardware and software (like Apple) you will get a more stable product. The fact that CC works for most people most of the time is pretty good, I guess.

The worst thing is that I promised my wife that the number of black boxes would shrink and everything would become easier to use. If only!

Edit: I wonder if blocking Google DNS at the router level (to get around hard coding of their DNS in the Roku Netflix app) creates issues with Chromecast?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    For what its worth I'm told by a friend who successfully uses Chromecast Audio's in a multi-room set-up that there is a lengthy delay in establishing the system initially. Not sure why this occurs but it is only when a new CC Audio is introduced into your network. After that everything works smoothly.

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    I found this when I set up my first two - they took ages to connect to my network and a long time to be found if they were part of my group.

I am up to seven units now (two Chromecasts, five Chromecast Audios), and it doesn't happen any more for me. I can add a new one to an existing group instantaneously, and everything just seems much smoother. I am not sure if that is due to firmware updates from Google themselves or software updates for the music services I use (Plex and Spotify), but it is much better.

It is still only about 2 months since multiroom was introduced, so I suppose we should expect them to take a while to get it working right.

5. B210Bandit

B210Bandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well it was all happy last night but after leaving everything running, the downstairs CC audio could not be found by any app this morning, including the Chromecast app. Hard restart and it was recognised.

I'm certain that there is a magical router setting or settings that will fix this issue, and I'm playing with settings one at a time. First up, setting the beacon interval to 50ms did nothing to help...

6. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Got my first chrome cast audio yesterday, not sure how to get the most out of it?
    Iphone -got google play music working on it, and tune-in radio.
    Ipod touches - too old iOS6, CCA seems to want iOS7or8?
    Samsung tablet - google play music casts ok, tune-in radio.
    Laptop - casts from chrome browser, bbc iplayer/radio etc, and google play music.

What would allcast app do for me?

7. B210Bandit

B210Bandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I use Bubble UPNP to cast locally stored music to the Chromecast. Pretty sure Allcast would do the same.

8. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Allcast is just another way of flipping your picture or video files to the TV, or music files on your phone/tablet if you have them. I used it rather a lot and found it reliable. Starting to convert to using BubblUPnP. Quite a lot of players, Sony, Google Play will work with Chromecast just as well. If you're loading up with MP3 files its worth running something like the App 'Album Art Grabber' to get a few pictures on your device. Not comprehensive but it does work for most popular albums.

9. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    I thought I'd follow up on this for those that are interested. I have been very impressed with Chromecast Audio and now actually have more zones than I had for Sonos. I have become a bit of a collector of active speakers, so I thought I'd share my thoughts here.

The BT3s are still going strong, but definitely don't have the auto-on feature. I like their sound, but have found them better paired with a subwoofer. The only other operational element I don't like with them is the bluetooth implementation. If I select bluetooth on any of the devices I have previously paired with the BT3s, the BT3s turn straight to their bluetooth input even if I am trying to connect with something else altogether!

I have also picked up a pair of Ruark MR1s. These are very impressive. They do have the auto on/off feature and it seems to work very well as they wake up every time I have cast something to them. They are also tiny, probably about a third of the cabinet volume of the BT3s, but (for me) sound better than the BT3s without a subwoofer. I have been using the MR1s with a subwoofer as well, but I am not sure it is necessary.

The downside here is the price - £300 plus £30 for the Chromecast Audio makes it more expensive than a pair of Play 1s. They sound better in my opinion, but not exactly a money saving option. Also, they are not as feature-laden as some of their competitors - a single 3.5mm input and bluetooth, no optical etc.

Lastly, I have got a pair of Roth Oli POWA-5 Mk2s. These are the total opposite of the Ruarks in many ways. They are the biggest of the lot and have the most features, 2 USB slots, 2 optical inputs, 3.5mm input, phono input, bluetooth aptX. They are easily the most capable of reproducing the best bass of the three sets without a subwoofer, but the overall sound isn't the best of them to my ear.

No auto-on with these, but the price is excellent, they seem to be available for £170 which isn't bad for a very powerful pair of speakers that will fill quite large rooms as well as I remember my pair of (old shape) Play 5s doing.

10. B210Bandit

B210Bandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Active speakers are a great idea with things like Chromecast and it's great to see them becoming more popular. One more box out of the room and you get amplifiers properly matched to cabinets and drivers. Loving a pair of Behringer 3031as that I bought recently for a second system with Chromecast.

11. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Got an £5 optical lead for sony a/v receiver, and detail is much better. Had trouble with laptop finding device, had to disable iTunes bonjour service (whatever that is) and could finally cast from chrome again.
    Also using CCA on B+W mini zeppelin, giving it new life, as no one in house uses ipods anymore ,as they all have iphones.

12. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    Currently half price (£15) at Currys if anyone is after extra units.

13. kingcr33ch

kingcr33ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Bargain is that

14. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
  15. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    You'd assume so, wouldn't you? You could buy 17 of these for the cost of a single Sonos Connect and they have the advantages of 5ghz wifi and Hi Res audio that Sonos don't seem interested in.

I have been buying these up at £25/£30 and now have six which is one for every room I need, so am a little disappointed not to be able to take advantage of this offer. I'd have saved £70 if I bought them all at this price, but they are such crazy value anyway that I am not too worried.

16. mrbenn

mrbenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks for posting the currys offer, I just got another one and they had lots in the store I went to (it's not an online only offer either) Amazing value for £15!

May now get one for the garage...

17. kingcr33ch

kingcr33ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Can these be linked to ceiling speakers? Would be cool to get the bathrooms kitted out [emoji1]

18. mrbenn

mrbenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Yes you can with an amp

I've been thinking of using a Lepai/lepy amp, chromecast audio and ceiling speakers - speakers in the bathroom ceiling, amp and CCA in the airing cupboard

19. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    ^ that's how I've gone about CCA to the ceiling speaker set up I have in my kitchen. :)

I was also thinking of installing CCA in the family bathroom which is being refurbed in April. I'll likely run cabling through the attic and down to an amp in the adjacent study. Any recommendations on suitable speakers?

20. sizr

sizr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered one online, woohoo!

Could you guys suggest a Mini-TOSLINK-to-TOSLINK cable that is budget friendly and works well with this little thing? I will connect it to my Marantz pm7005's DAC. Thanks!

21. mrbenn

mrbenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It's a digital signal so any cable that works will be fine, I like the kabeldirekt cables available from Amazon, the 3.5mm to toslink is cheap ish at £5ish

22. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
  23. mrbenn

mrbenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
  24. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    But you can admire its sleek white looks and imagine it sounds better o_O

25. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Just ordered another two CCAs. Red-hot bargain @ £15 each, be rude not to.

26. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Now down to £14 at Currys and PCWorld

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  27. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
  28. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    This is really slick with a Samsung tablet and google play, I can even cast directly to my sonos speakers!!

29. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Cancelled my order for two CCAs, about to collect three from Currys @ £14 each.

30. windhoek

windhoek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Fwiw, if you bought one at £15, you can get the difference refunded as long as you take in your receipt to Currys within 7 days of purchase. I popped in to buy a third today and as I took receipts for the first two, got a £2 refund as well as one for £14 :)