Chromecast audio

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by everett_psycho, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Souljacker99

Souljacker99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I don't think it supports multi-room yet does it?

2. nag1_uk

nag1_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    Just reboot your CC Audio and it will pick up the firmware update on startup - they shipped with 1.16x and after a reboot will update to 1.17a.49061 which includes the fix for it outputting everything as 16 bit 48Khz over optical (it should do 24 bit 96Khz now) as well as the multi room :)

4. spenna

spenna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just purchased a album off technics tracks in 96khz 24 bit and tried casting it to Google chromecast audio through the technics tracks app itself because it supports chromecast audio casting but refused to play to chromecast but It played a cd quality FLAC 16 bit file I purchased.So I tried the Google chromecast mirroring so you can still play what ever sound /music is on your phone if a app doesn't support casting and it played but I am Sure I heard if you do it this way with 96/24 bit files /music it does not cast it as 96/24 bit it downsamples it unless you cast it through the app itself is this right?. also has anybody else experienced this same problem as me?. Thanks.

5. nag1_uk

nag1_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Does anyone know if the Chrome Cast Audio play nicely with the Google Cast built into some AV hardware to allow for multi room playback. IE the Sony SRT DN1060 Av amp.

I guess it does not. But it would be great if it did. Would defiantly get me looking at a new AV receiver!

6. nag1_uk

nag1_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Answered my own Question, taken from Multi-room group playback FAQs - Chromecast Help

"
    Can I add my Google Cast speakers to a group?
    We are working on adding Multi-room group playback support to all of our existing and upcoming audio devices with Google Cast built in. This will allow you to group your Chromecast Audio devices and Google Cast speakers from different brands into one seamless experience. This feature will be rolled out to all Google Cast speakers throughout 2016."

7. Courtjezter

Courtjezter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
  8. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    I have just picked up a few of these to replace Sonos which doesn't work in my area due to the crowded 2.4ghz wifi band. These are much better as the work at 5ghz.

They almost seem impossible value at £25, but I am really struggling to get multi room working.

I have created groups in the Chromecast app. When I go into Spotify, I can see the individual units and the groups, but it will only connect to the individual units. In the Plex app on my Mac, it only gives the option of individual units.

Has anyone had success with the multi room yet? If so, I'd be really interested to know what apps/services you are using.

9. Souljacker99

Souljacker99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've got a two chromecast setup working fine but I use the Google Music service. I don't use spotify unfortunately but I've just tested through the iPlayer app and the group is there and available. If you use the chromecast app is your group there under devices?

10. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Yes, multi room works fine for me across three units. Initiated from the Spotify / iPlayer Radio / TuneIn iOS apps.

IMG_2171.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  11. kingcr33ch

kingcr33ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I was thinking sonos but way over priced for connecting my 5.1 setup

Now I'm thinking this [emoji1]

Only just stumbled on this tech do lots to read about but is it better rouse chrome cast speakers if I'm buying for kitchen bedroom etc?

12. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Yes, I have got two groups set up and they appear as options in both the Chromecast app and the Spotify one. They actually cam up as options on the Plex app today as well, but have now disappeared.

The Spotify app connected to one of the groups this morning and worked fine for a couple of hours, so I don't think it is a setting on my router which I had suspected before. Not working again now.

13. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    As I mentioned, I am having problems with the groups function on mine, but assuming I can sort that out, I'd have no hesitation in recommending these over Sonos.

Sonos will remain the 'gold standard' if you have a suitable 2.4ghz network to run it or if you can wire it. The app is better and the support is excellent, but not much good if it just won't work for you!

I run Chromecast on 5ghz and it has not been 100% reliable, but pretty close to it. I have had very occasional drop outs, but moving them about a bit seems to have solved them for now. The only thing I don't like is that if the signal is poor, I sometimes get lower sound quality and distortion, but again not often.

The price difference is marked, especially if connecting to an existing system - £30 compared to £280 for a Sonos Connect.

In one of my zones, I have replaced 2xPlay 3s with a Chromecast Audio and a pair of Q-Acoustics BT3 speakers. This set up cost £245 in total, under half of what I had before, it sounds a bit better and adds Bluetooth aptX, so I still have music if the Chromecast stops working.

14. kingcr33ch

kingcr33ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks for the reply

Just read the new version supports 5ghz and 2.5 or 2.7 ghz [emoji106]

Looks like I'm sold on this. Wasn't keen to jump into Sonos, I wasn't happy with then price on the connector or the cost of speakers for what they are.

So if looking for individual speakers that work with cc audio what do I need to look for? I'm guessing they need a line in? Or I buy chromecast speakers but again the speaker quality could be worse for mor money.

15. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,580
    These are pretty much a dongle with micro USB for power and 3.5 mm output, so anything with a 3.5mm jack or socket will work, even a decent set of PC speakers like the old harnon kardon sound sticks would work for much less than a sonos. The Chromecast can handle optical output, I believe you need an adapter to get optical out of the 3.5mm socket though.

I'm glad these are doing well, I've no need for one right now but can see me investing at some point. It's great there's now options, a lot of companies took shots at sonos but they were all still quite pricey, this gives us options to use whatever speakers we want and for not much money.

16. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    I wasn't aware there were actually Chromecast speakers as such.

The Chromecast has a 3.5mm out which supplies either analogue or optical digital. The short orange cable supplied is an analogue cable, you'd need to buy an optical one separately.

That means you can choose speakers with a 3.5mm input, twin RCA (red/white) or optical digital, but you'd need to supply your own cable for the latter two options.

I chose the Q-Acoustics BT3 for one of my zones. They have all of the above inputs as well as Blutetooth aptX. Most speakers from about £20 up should have at least one input you can use.

17. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    To use optical, you need an optical cable with Toslink (3.5mm) at one end and the standard optical connector at the other. I bought some for about £1 each.

18. pjrouse

pjrouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  19. kingcr33ch

kingcr33ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Sorry I referred to the speakers as having Chromecast I meant Google cast.

Sounds very promising and plenty new brands in the mix.

20. kingcr33ch

kingcr33ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Winner thanks for the info

21. Pokey800

Pokey800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Do you have to switch the speakers on separately from running the app?

22. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    That is interesting, thanks.

Airplay is a strange one for me. I am quite committed to the Apple 'eco-system', but have never really used Airplay at all. Despite it being built into my two AVRs and the Airport Express being quite cheap, I still piled into Sonos rather than Airplay.

Now Sonos hasn't worked out for me, I am going straight to Google Chromecast, even though Airplay still exists and most of my other gear remains Apple. I can't really explain why, it just doesn't appeal at all.

23. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Annoyingly, yes!

I read a couple of reviews on the BT3s before I bought them that said that they went into standby mode after 20 minutes of non-use, but complained that a bug mean't that a digital signal would not 'wake them up' again.

The standby mode part is correct (and useful), but I don't find that any of the inputs wake them out of standby mode and I have to do this with the remote control. It takes a bit of getting used to after the Play 3s that were always ready to go. The manual says nothing about an input signal waking them up, so I don't think it is a feature at all.

If that is an important feature for you I'd look elsewhere, otherwise I think that they are really excellent value at Peter Tyson's current price of £219 delivered.

24. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    does the multiroom work with the standard chromecast as well?

25. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Nope and no news as to whether it will in the future at present.

26. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

cheers. Might have to pick up a couple more CC Audios and see how it does.

27. kingcr33ch

kingcr33ch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Any rumours on apple music working with this beast?

28. Pokey800

Pokey800

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    One of the main reason I switched from Airplay to Sonos.

29. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Aren't the AirPlay speakers auto-on either?

I am looking for a pair of speakers to replace another Sonos zone with Chromecast Audio, but this is one zone where the auto-on of Sonos comes in really useful.

Another set of BT3s would be the obvious choice at the current price, but I'd be happy to pay a bit more for something with auto-on.

30. B210Bandit

B210Bandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have two CC audio and when they behave everything is wonderful. However, I cannot get them stable, as sometimes tracks will pause for no reason and the connection is lost, or I cannot connect to the devices. Spoken to Google support and spent hours playing with the router, also spoken to Spotify, who blame Google. Google suggest it is Spotify. So, fine for me as I can deal with this but a right PITA for my wife who, understandably, just wants something that works consistently.

ETA: casting local content from Bubble UPNP is rock solid. Seems a smaller company can implement casting right but Google/Spotify have issues...