• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Chromecast Audio worth getting?

aleung2

Novice Member
Hi all, I'm new to avforums so bear with me. Anyway i want to get a few chromecast audios to do multiroom streaming from Spotify to a few dumb speakers via 3.5mm jack. I know it has now been discontinued recently but my question is will it still work for the foreseeable future or will Spotify stop supporting it?

If it will likely end then what are the best alternatives at that price range or are there none? I know of Pure Jongo but they're not simple to use I believe.

Thanks in advance.

muljao

Chromecast audios are brilliant

The software to run them is in place both in the unit and many third party units. Support likely means no upgrade, but should work as is going fwd

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm certainly happy enough to have stocked up with a few extra CCA. They are indeed brilliant little things.

I'd agree they should continue to work for quite a while, the protocols used are fundamental to the whole Google eco system of smart devices and speakers and also used in tonnes of 3rd party speakers and hi-fi separates and systems.

aleung2

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies. I think that gives me some confidence to get use them for a multiroom solution as I've got speakers around the house already

larkone

Distinguished Member
They work brilliantly for multiroom

Khazul

I didn't know they had been discontinued. A shame - I wouldnt touch the regular chromecast with a barge pole for audio (by the time you have gone through HDMI at 48K), but the CCA is very good for its price, and TBH can be considered very respectable vs equipment costing a lot more.

Oh well - they may think they can ram their crappy grot boxes into our homes for music play back - not happening here - good bye google.

TBH - I only got the CCA as it is a very cheap and effective Roon renderer.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom