Chromecast audio help needed

snooper

Hi not used this for a while and since then the google home app and products have changed significantly. I managed to get it working again after hours of faff. It was easy before but now a real pain. My issue is in the music services bit there is no tune in radio in there so I am only able to use my Spotify account onto the chromecast audio. I am struggling to find after googling how to get tune in if at all I can now? I assumed it would be there automatically but it isn’t. Google music, you tube are but no tune in which is what I want. I have reinstalled the google home app reset chromecast got it working on Spotify but that’s it. I am using an old iPad Air 1st gen FYI but am stumped on getting tune in onto/into google home app or can I not do it now. Thanks for any help.

NottsMFC

You can cast to the CCA from the Tune In app

snooper

You can cast to the CCA from the Tune In app
Hi pal how do you do it then got an easy explanation or any links I can read through as struggling to suss it out tbh as it’s not an option in my music services within the home app thanks

NottsMFC

Screenshot_20191109-123010_TuneIn Radio.jpg

NottsMFC

In the tune in app, click the cast icon (left of search icon). You should see your CCA listed there.

snooper

Seein those images I can remember from when I last used it but my tune in app hasn’t got it or the search option in the top right hand corner now pal the search, home, favs etc is on the bottom left of the app. No idea why it’s different have you? I did manage to find the radioplayer app which I can cast with and it works. Thanks for your help pal.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Looks like it's changed in iOS. You need to play a station & then expand it to full screen. Then you'll see a small cast icon below the stations logo.

Tunein.jpg

snooper

Looks like it's changed in iOS. You need to play a station & then expand it to full screen. Then you'll see a small cast icon below the stations logo.

View attachment 1217577
Thanks a lot for that pal it does indeed work. I have spent hours googling info on it and nothing mentions this on google or tune in so how are you supposed to find it after the app updates? Without you posting I would never have even thought of doing that so thanks again for your help. They should have left it how it was tbh much easier and user friendly.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
TBH you're not the only one who finds the TuneIn app awkward to use. I dislike the Android version also.

Personally I've stopped using the TuneIn app and prefer to just ask Google assistant to play a radio station on my CCA. In my case I use an android phone so can use the assistant on my phone but you could also add a Google home mini very cheaply and use that to ask for radio stations.

snooper

TBH you're not the only one who finds the TuneIn app awkward to use. I dislike the Android version also.

Personally I've stopped using the TuneIn app and prefer to just ask Google assistant to play a radio station on my CCA. In my case I use an android phone so can use the assistant on my phone but you could also add a Google home mini very cheaply and use that to ask for radio stations.
Tbh I am not keen on the idea of google or amazon speakers etc I usually Bluetooth to my bose speaker from my iPad but got a chromecast for my old proper hifi but not used it for ages hence the faff and frustration. Next year going to do some kit upgrades and will prob get an all in one CD player/amp/streamer with chromecast etc but keep my speakers. The CCA is an awesome bit of kit for the £15 I paid for it, just it’s underused.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Completely agree on the CCA. I've currently got 4 of them connected to various amps.

Just to be clear I wasn't advocating using the Google Home Mini as a speaker. I ask the mini to play a radio station but it plays on my CCA. It's just a lot easier than faffing with a phone.

I also have a Broadlink RM Mini which turns the stereo on and selects the CCA input with a voice command.

Alexsg

Novice Member
Completely agree on the CCA. I've currently got 4 of them connected to various amps.

Just to be clear I wasn't advocating using the Google Home Mini as a speaker. I ask the mini to play a radio station but it plays on my CCA. It's just a lot easier than faffing with a phone.

I also have a Broadlink RM Mini which turns the stereo on and selects the CCA input with a voice command.
i just ask Google Home on my iPhone or iPad to play the station. It’s funny - the app involved will vary with the station I select, but it seems to work seamlessly.

I also agree about the CCA. I’ve got three of them connected to various amps plus a Home Mini (which I use only as a speaker with the mike turned off). The CCAs are fantastic as a basic networked audio system and I can’t understand why Google discontinued them

larkone

Google discontinued the CCA as a product because they wanted to sell you a CCA with a mic, amp and speaker - better margins. The CCA was almost a loss leader but it got the world used to its Chromecast technology.

dannnielll

What has happened since is that Chromecast is now embedded as code inside TVs Streamers and AVRs. The genius of the CCA as a device was that it made plenty of perfectly serviceable older HiFis network ready.,and saved a generation from the scrapheap. So in fairness it has served its function.