Question Chromecast Audio - functionality now limited?

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate guidance from those in the know.

Just purchased a Chromecast Audio but can't get my Windows 7 desktop PC to recognize it. Info on Google's Chromecast support page states: We no longer support Chromecast setup on a computer. To set up your Chromecast, please use a mobile device. (not sure which Chromecast they're talking about here).

Other parts of the same website suggest I can use the Cast feature in Google's Chrome browser running on computers (didn't work for me when I tried it - 'failed to find device') so I'm confused.

Question is: Will it be possible for me to stream audio files stored on my QNAP NAS (wired connection to wifi router) to the Chromecast Audio, using either an Android tablet or Windows PC as the control, or am I wasting my time? Thanks.

I can't tell you how to do this but I believe you can use a CCA instead of a Squeezebox while running LMS. I was going to buy one to do exactly that. Might be worth a google search if you can't wait for someone with more knowledge to come along!

Yes easily if you use your android tablet.

If you want to use your pc then you can install the bubbleUPNP server on your PC, this allows the CCA to be a standard DNLA device and use any suitable app you want, another option is Plex which supports Chromecast I believe.

Needing to use the Google Home app to set up a CCA has been the case for a while, nothings changed due to being discontinued AFAIK

Just purchased a Chromecast Audio but can't get my Windows 7 desktop PC to recognize it. Info on Google's Chromecast support page states: We no longer support Chromecast setup on a computer. To set up your Chromecast, please use a mobile device. (not sure which Chromecast they're talking about here).

Other parts of the same website suggest I can use the Cast feature in Google's Chrome browser running on computers (didn't work for me when I tried it - 'failed to find device') so I'm confused.

Question is: Will it be possible for me to stream audio files stored on my QNAP NAS (wired connection to wifi router) to the Chromecast Audio, using either an Android tablet or Windows PC as the control, or am I wasting my time? Thanks.
You are not wasting you time.. i have done this using the windows pc with home sharing enabled ,and the android tablet and irir pho running the paid for version of a bubblendpn. It just worked

I believe you are confusing the capabilities of the Chromecast Audio with how to set it up so that you can use it in the first place!

The Chromecast Audio when you first purchase it has no knowledge of your network's WiFi, so comes preconfigured to power up in 'setup mode'. The only app that will recognise the Chromecast Audio in that mode is the Google Home app, which you can install on Android or iOS devices.

Once you've set up the Chromecast Audio using the Google Home app to recognise your network's WiFi, it'll automatically switch to 'operational mode' allowing it to be used as normal, so be 'found' by the Chrome web browser's Cast feature and the other applications mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies. folks - much appreciated.

I believe you are confusing the capabilities of the Chromecast Audio with how to set it up so that you can use it in the first place!

Exactly right. I didn't realise it needed setting up until I looked into it some more.

Once you've set up the Chromecast Audio using the Google Home app

It seems I need go no further because if, as you say, Google Home app is the only way to setup Chromecast Audio then I've fallen at the first.

The Google Home app download on the Play Store website states the minimum requirement is the Android OS 4.4:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app

...but the Google support website says Android 5.0 OS is the minimum requirement and unfortunately that seems to be correct:

Requirements for Chromecast devices - Chromecast Help

Hence Google Home app refused to download because my device was incompatible as it runs Android OS 4.4.2. That's me buggered. Any way of updating my tablet to a later version of Android?

Any way of updating my tablet to a later version of Android?

Yes probably but without knowing what device you have it is difficult to say. Have you not got access to a phone running later version of android?

You could try downloading and installing the last 4.1+ version of the Google Home app (1.30.43.17 - Aug 20, 2018) from a reputable Android App archiving site, such as APKMirror. Just installed & tried it on my old Acer tablet running Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - it works:
You searched for google home - APKMirror

Last edited:
You could try downloading and installing the last 4.1+ version of the Google Home app (1.30.43.17 - Aug 20, 2018) from a reputable Android App archiving site, such as APKMirror. Just installed & tried it on my old Acer tablet running Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - it works:

Hadn't thought about that approach so thanks for the heads up.

Any way of updating my tablet to a later version of Android?
Yes probably but without knowing what device you have it is difficult to say. Have you not got access to a phone running later version of android?

The tablet in question is a direct-from-China cheapie, the IRULU eXpro X7 QuadCore A33 processor & 16GB RAM. No, I don't have a smart 'phone but friends have so that route is a possibility although I don't know if there would be any implications (for me or them) going forward.

After considerable research into updating the Android OS, I can't see that it's possible without taking the considerable risk of knackering the tablet. It may have cost under £30 but I'd like to keep it going a bit longer.

or scrounge an old superseded phone that runs a later version of Android from a friend - I know I have several around the house that I now use as control devices for music, Android 5 has been around a while now.

That's the route I took and, eventually, it worked out fine - so thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom