1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chroma upsampling error

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by platty2890, Oct 18, 2003.

1. platty2890

platty2890

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    have an arcam dv27 with same problem . worked out could be sil503/504 chip as new a11 has DCDi chip. another thing i seen was literature on sony dvp999es with its own prog scan chip which actually states the chroma upsampling error on other players and its chip gets rid of this problem. has anyone tested or own the sony?
    my plasma is a pioneer 502mxe

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The upsampling error is in the mpeg decoder used by manufacturers. Some products employ chroma filtering after the decoding to alleviate the visibility of this artifact while other just don't have it present in their mpeg decoders

Many folk do not actually see the issue at all although on some units it canbe quite visible.

Sorry not seen the Sony.

Gordon

3. platty2890

platty2890

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers considering changing my arcam for either pioneer dv868avi or new denon dvda11 but going to demo first, denon looks the better due to build quality, but dvd2900 has had bad problems so just wait and see.Does the analog devices decoder combat the chroma problem i think the arcam has a zoran chip thanks

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There's a german review of the PAL Sony 999ES here that says it has very good chroma upsampling.

This is what they said loosely traslated, bare in mind they also tested the Denon 2900 and said the chroma upsampling wasn't so good with "PAL" material, which I agree with having tried a 2900.

"Pleasantly we were surprised in the context of our Chroma Upsampling test by the fact that the equipment hardly suffers from the notorious "Chroma Upsampling error". Also with strong color contrasts with sharp outlines practically hardly fraying could be constituted. Here Sony has a clear advantage in relation to the competition. Even with large picture diagonals the pleasure is not diminished. Altogether the Chroma Upsampling works extremely precisely, so that also with very multicolored picture contents the sharpness is not impaired.
    Note: The Chroma Upsampling test could be made only for PAL, since at the time of the test still no Codefree variant was present. We will supply later possibly necessary additions for NTSC."

I'm seriously tempted by the 999ES myself... on sony japans website they specifially mention chroma upsampling along with this image...
    [​IMG]

5. platty2890

platty2890

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    looks like sony has the edge hopefully the competition take this problem more seriously the only problem with the sony no dvd-audio (no lost there then) no i-link for sacd as on the new sacd player maybe worth waiting for the next generation models thanks for the reply