Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

chroma bug

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is chroma bug?

Cheers

Jon

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The chroma (colour data) is stored on dvd's in a lower resolution than the luma (B&W picture data), so it has to be upsampled (enlarged) to be combined with the luma. Some DVD players do this better than others, when it's done badly, it's referred to as the chroma bug and can make coloured objects on screen look pixellised or streaky, especially noticable with red.

3. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mate!

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    look to buy somthing that has faroudja dcdi as this has a chroma filter to eliminate the problem, same with iscan ultra.

5. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mate! I was thinking of the Denon 2200 or the Pioneer 757, I read on another thread the the 757 suffers from this but some of the owners said thay hadnt noticed it. Does the denon 2200 suffer from this?

I will check out what you have said now!

Cheers

Jon

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The 2900 has poor chroma upsampling with some PAL (UK) dvd's in my opinion. The 2200 is very similar to the 2900 in design, but i've not tried one so can't really comment. The chroma bug only really noticable with dvd players when they are connected to a progressive scan display.

Here's one example of chroma upsampling (PowerDVD software decoding)
    [​IMG]

And here's another example of the same image upsampled a different way (ATI graphics card hardware decoding).
    [​IMG]

The original "chroma bug" in certain mpeg chipsets originally identified by Richard Ansell shouldn't be a problem these days. The issue is more about chroma upsampling performance, or how well it does it, rather than whether it has the "bug" or not. These days when people say a dvd player has the "chroma bug" they mean it has poor chroma upsampling in their opinion.

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

no this is not true. the pioneer 757, 737 the chroma bug is mush more noticeable via interlaced and not progressive

check the latest pioneers 686 868i as these are supposed to be bug free

8. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest having a good read of Stacey Spear's article on the Chroma Bug issues (and what is Chroma Bug and what isn't)

And the true Chroma Bug is very hard to see on an Interlace display exactly as mentioned - this is not the same as the problem mentioned in the article about using 'interlace' algorithms instead of 'progressive algorithms.

The article can be found here;

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

9. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yeah have red the secrets articule before and i know there is another bug that exsists with pal encoded material that is very similar to the effects of chroma bug.

all im saying is that i have seen the affects of the first red square
    and have have switched to progressive mode and the effect has lessened slightly.(via ntsc material.)

and to quote one of your articules

The progressive representation of video material is not subject to the Chroma Upsampling error, because video material is noted in the halbbildverfahren. Also here the color accuracy everything else is nevertheless perfect. It does not concern thereby however around an error as rather a technical Limitation of the 4:2:0 Encodings

so the oboared decoder just reads the info wrong from dicc that may have been recorded from a progressive format.

i do admit there seems to be 4-5 different possibilities to the problem. but interlaced is included

11. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everyone!