Christopher Plummer

Garrett

Christopher Plummer has at the age of 91.
Star of Sound of Music, and one of his early staring roles playing real life character Eddie Chapman in Triple Cross on the side of the allies in WWII then the next film played Rommel in Night of the Generals and very recently in Knives Out. Generally playing characters of some authority e.g. Duke of Wellington in Waterloo.
Anyone rember him in Dreamscape?
Recently played a cracking role in Remember (2015) - IMDb

R.I.P.. Christopher

His voice was dubbed for the song and he only took the role so he could sing.

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Always enjoyed watching him, always elevated what he was in.

I just watched Inside Man earlier this week.

Still haven't seen Knives Out so there's an excuse. Also maybe a rewatch of Star Trek VI, I loved him in that.

RIP.

LicensedTaximan

As General Chang, a Klingon in Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country (V1) one of the good ones.

1612549775795.png

Garrett

As General Chang, a Klingon in Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country (V1) one of the good ones.

View attachment 1455096
Looks like an other Christopher (Lee) with a extremely long list of films to his credit 217 including the one he was in the process of filming at 91.

As mentioned above if you not seen his remember its well worth a watch.

LicensedTaximan

He also took over the roll of J. Paul Getty in "All The Money In The World" after Ridley Scott reshot all of Kevin Spacey's scenes in the wake of numerous sexual misconduct allegations against him. Spacey's make up in that film made him look like one of those rubbery muppet babies anyway. I believe they completed all the reshoots in around six weeks with Plummer completing his particular part in just a few days. Mind you most of the "Carry On" films were fully completed in that time. But given the situation with all the digital trickery and heaven knows everything else they had to overcome that's fast either way.

Why they didn't choose Christopher Plummer in the first place (and without sounding rude) someone who didn't need prosthetics and other make up is somewhat beyond me. R.I.P.

1612552293930.png

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Why they didn't choose Christopher Plummer in the first place

Apparently, he was Ridley Scott's first choice but the studio wanted Spacey's (at the time) star power and felt Plummer was a bit too old, not sure if that meant for the role or for the workload.

Plummer was excellent in it. I'm sure Spacey would have been good but can't disagree about the makeup.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Agreed. His performances were always AAA is the select movies of his i’ve seen.

RIP

FergieB

A brilliantly portrayed Holmes in Murder By Decree. His scenes with fellow Canadian Genevieve Bujold in the asylum were utterly heartbreaking. Only one appearance as the character but probably the best film and and the most funny, compassionate and well rounded Holmes ever seen.
Stupendous Commodus in The Rise and Fall of The Roman Empire too.

MrMrH

He was amazing in Knives Out ... and now The Silent Partner just made its way to the top of my watch list.

james03

One of the last great movie stars, adored his work. My late father took me to watch the Man who would be king in 1975 which is a treasured memory.
The man never missed a beat and our children love the sound of music which we’ve seen countless times.
He’s left a tremendous legacy behind and I doubt a few months won’t go by when I won’t be reminded of him whilst watching the movies he starred in.

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
Sound of Music is my guilty pleasure. RIP

LicensedTaximan

Last edited:

Garrett

A brilliantly portrayed Holmes in Murder By Decree. His scenes with fellow Canadian Genevieve Bujold in the asylum were utterly heartbreaking. Only one appearance as the character but probably the best film and and the most funny, compassionate and well rounded Holmes ever seen.
Stupendous Commodus in The Rise and Fall of The Roman Empire too.
Its the only Sherlock Homes films I own and is my favorite.

Garrett

Sorry to pluging it but I just looked and his Remember is still free to view if you have Amazon Prime it also stars a favorite of mine Martin Landau:smashin:

Thug

Just watched National Treasure a week ago, where Plummer played a small roll.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Such a volume of work but for me the roles I will best remember were the ones I grew up with such as Waterloo / The Fall of the Roman Empire / The Battle of Britain & as mentioned above his Holmes in Murder By Decree was excellent and of course Star Trek and a personal favourite The Night of the Generals as Field Marshal Rommel as mentioned by Garrett.

What a Legend RIP Sir :(

Last edited:

Jaxkesa

I always think of him as the reverend in Dragnet as that's the first movie I remember him from but love him in The Insider too.

Delta38

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney predicts shorter theatrical release windows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms