Christmas work "do's"

It was looking back. And that was just 5/6 of us (a very small team. One, who sadly, is no longer with us). I think all the teams had their own do's. Would have been best to have all the teams together really, but it didn't work out like that.

we work at heathrow and their construction areas work a bit like this, we went bowling with one company last week (they invited select people they wanted to come), then theres a project wide one next week and most teams are having their own as well, whether it's just 4 or 5 of them or a company based one. When T5 was being made they used to have epic christmas parties, the amount of workforce behind it meant the party was huge, it was like going out like the plqce was open and it meant there was enough familliar faces about that you didn't have to talk to your line manager, instead you'd go around other companies and meet all them

Last edited:
@Coffin

Indeed :)

Steve D was quite good apparently though - he was still drinking in the bar with a bunch of them until about 4 in the morning, keeping up no probs with a bunch of rugby recent grad types :)

I enjoyed the good old days when I was working for an US firm that took all of us including partners to Switserland for 3 days. I made certain in the 3 years I was there that I was on the first flight out and the last one to come back, the price was taking along the fit friend of the organising girls in HR :) Yeah 5 days in the snow, party, skiing and a bit of fun. That was more like it.

Saw lots of marital rows though as bonuses were also publicly announced and if you didn't get the bonus...Oops

Oh happy days....Now in England I can't stand them, too many arms around me of drunken idiots, who the next day still think they are my best friend. Yuk. But I show my face and put some money behind the bar to entertain them, not my idea of a fun party though.

being the chairman of our works social committee, we organise everything for the employees, our work gives us £30k per year to spend on anything, so we had our shop floor nite out last friday which was a free 5 course meal and few bottles wine, then the MD turned up and stuck his credit card behind the bar....a great nite was had by all...the big one is in feb tho, that includes partners and guests, so that should be fun too

being the chairman of our works social committee, we organise everything for the employees, our work gives us £30k per year to spend on anything, so we had our shop floor nite out last friday which was a free 5 course meal and few bottles wine, then the MD turned up and stuck his credit card behind the bar....a great nite was had by all...the big one is in feb tho, that includes partners and guests, so that should be fun too

Blimey! I work for a massive multi-billion dollar US company and we're getting a night at a dodgy local nightclub tonight. Free bar but they won't be splashing out.

Ever since the recession we haven't had a decent Xmas do, or any do in fact. Before, they used to take everyone to EuroDisney for 4 days or hire out Namco in London...nowadays a crap nightclub that I don't tend to go to on a Friday night anyway :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours used to be a huge corporate event in London or Oxford where coaches were laid on for the employees who worked and lived around the satellite office elsewhere in the country, so everyone could make.. Often Hotels Rooms were offered too. Partners could come along by means of 1 free guest ticket.

Last 2-3 years each individual regional office dept has had to organise their own Chrimbo do among themselves with a 50% contribution from the head of that dept's cost centre.. Partners now have to be paid for in full.

This years will be the last one I go to while I am still working for this Global Corporate which still makes hundreds of millions in profits each year.

A lot of these businesses use the current financial climate as an excuse.. Whatever happened to investing in their people and valuing the employee!! :rolleyes:

Never mind paying for the other half, we have to pay for our own christmas party every year!

No way ? Really ?!

I'm sorry, but I find that disgusting. :thumbsdow

Any company should recompense their staff in at least the form of a good xmas bash !

No way ? Really ?!

I'm sorry, but I find that disgusting. :thumbsdow

Any company should recompense their staff in at least the form of a good xmas bash !

Exactly. Even if it's just a free bar in a pub for a few hours. That's better than nothing and shows some appreciation to the staff

Like I say - a few years ago we had very lavish dos on the company. This year there was no funds, so the managers took us out on their own dime for a modest amount of booze and nibbles..

Many, many years ago when I used to work for Tesco at one fo their Express stores, the headoffice refused to give us a Christmas do budget. The bigger stores had one, yet we didn't. So my manager at the time took us all out to bowling and then for a meal on his own credit card. Top bloke.

Exactly. Even if it's just a free bar in a pub for a few hours. That's better than nothing and shows some appreciation to the staff

Too right.

I could say that I have staff, but I'd rather say that I have people that work with me to make it the team that it is, and I feel that I should at least show them some appreciation for all the hard work they do, although I would like to think that they appreciate this throughout the year also.

I suppose we're lucky in this sense that it is a small team, but even if we were on the breadline and were skint, I'd still make sure that everyone had a good drink !

Look after them and they'll look after you. :thumbsup:

My place's Christmas do tonight I am not invited though as I am a contractor.

Bit harsh as out of a desk of 12 I am the only one not going.

I feel your pain. Even though as a contractor, sometimes you'll end up doing twice as much as work as the next person, your still looked down at.

I've been a contractor twice now, and I'm hoping I'll never do it again.

I thought contractors were given the option of buying their own place at a work do.

Does anyone actually dread their do's ? I know I do, even though when I go it's a good laugh and better than expected.

Still, I really hate the thought of having to be the host. Luckily, there's a couple of blokes that can run the show so I can disappear into the background lol.

Blimey! I work for a massive multi-billion dollar US company and we're getting a night at a dodgy local nightclub tonight. Free bar but they won't be splashing out.

Ever since the recession we haven't had a decent Xmas do, or any do in fact. Before, they used to take everyone to EuroDisney for 4 days or hire out Namco in London...nowadays a crap nightclub that I don't tend to go to on a Friday night anyway :(

I know, we are very lucky indeed, we have to incorporate only 2 compulsory days, family BBQ and Annual dinner dance, and everything must be free to those attending, beyond that anything goes, you'd be surprised how many people who work here are so "anti company" and don't attend anything, even working here in general is good...i almost feel guilty collecting my salary......i said ALMOST:thumbsup:

Too right.

I could say that I have staff, but I'd rather say that I have people that work with me to make it the team that it is, and I feel that I should at least show them some appreciation for all the hard work they do, although I would like to think that they appreciate this throughout the year also.

I suppose we're lucky in this sense that it is a small team, but even if we were on the breadline and were skint, I'd still make sure that everyone had a good drink !

Look after them and they'll look after you. :thumbsup:

Can I work for you please:D

You are a supplier not a member of staff!! Don't forget that, you can't have it both ways.

You can always invite your client for a few drinks and pay for them!

Yep - do you take your garage mechanic out for a Christmas party? ;)

When we have dos here, it's normally free for permies, £10 for contractors, and £20 for partners. That suits me, as it ticks an IR35 box :)

When we have dos here, it's normally free for permies, £10 for contractors, and £20 for partners. That suits me, as it ticks an IR35 box :)

*** ? :confused:

As much as I enjoy all your posts on here (and I do !)...what does the above mean lol ? Maybe I'm not auto educated as I should be lol ??!

That's cheap :) I normally make contractors put £50 in the kitty :) but they can have their receipts

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom