Christmas work "do's"

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
No way ? Really ?!

I'm sorry, but I find that disgusting. :thumbsdow

Any company should recompense their staff in at least the form of a good xmas bash !
Exactly. Even if it's just a free bar in a pub for a few hours. That's better than nothing and shows some appreciation to the staff

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Like I say - a few years ago we had very lavish dos on the company. This year there was no funds, so the managers took us out on their own dime for a modest amount of booze and nibbles..

Smudger14

Many, many years ago when I used to work for Tesco at one fo their Express stores, the headoffice refused to give us a Christmas do budget. The bigger stores had one, yet we didn't. So my manager at the time took us all out to bowling and then for a meal on his own credit card. Top bloke.

THE_FORCE

Distinguished Member
Exactly. Even if it's just a free bar in a pub for a few hours. That's better than nothing and shows some appreciation to the staff
Too right.

I could say that I have staff, but I'd rather say that I have people that work with me to make it the team that it is, and I feel that I should at least show them some appreciation for all the hard work they do, although I would like to think that they appreciate this throughout the year also.

I suppose we're lucky in this sense that it is a small team, but even if we were on the breadline and were skint, I'd still make sure that everyone had a good drink !

Look after them and they'll look after you. :thumbsup:

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
My place's Christmas do tonight I am not invited though as I am a contractor.

Bit harsh as out of a desk of 12 I am the only one not going.

Smudger14

I feel your pain. Even though as a contractor, sometimes you'll end up doing twice as much as work as the next person, your still looked down at.

I've been a contractor twice now, and I'm hoping I'll never do it again.

THE_FORCE

Distinguished Member
Does anyone actually dread their do's ? I know I do, even though when I go it's a good laugh and better than expected.

Still, I really hate the thought of having to be the host. Luckily, there's a couple of blokes that can run the show so I can disappear into the background lol.

kev23

Standard Member
Blimey! I work for a massive multi-billion dollar US company and we're getting a night at a dodgy local nightclub tonight. Free bar but they won't be splashing out.

Ever since the recession we haven't had a decent Xmas do, or any do in fact. Before, they used to take everyone to EuroDisney for 4 days or hire out Namco in London...nowadays a crap nightclub that I don't tend to go to on a Friday night anyway :(
I know, we are very lucky indeed, we have to incorporate only 2 compulsory days, family BBQ and Annual dinner dance, and everything must be free to those attending, beyond that anything goes, you'd be surprised how many people who work here are so "anti company" and don't attend anything, even working here in general is good...i almost feel guilty collecting my salary......i said ALMOST:thumbsup:

Lezman

Too right.

I could say that I have staff, but I'd rather say that I have people that work with me to make it the team that it is, and I feel that I should at least show them some appreciation for all the hard work they do, although I would like to think that they appreciate this throughout the year also.

I suppose we're lucky in this sense that it is a small team, but even if we were on the breadline and were skint, I'd still make sure that everyone had a good drink !

Look after them and they'll look after you. :thumbsup:
Can I work for you please:D

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member

You are a supplier not a member of staff!! Don't forget that, you can't have it both ways.

You can always invite your client for a few drinks and pay for them!

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Yep - do you take your garage mechanic out for a Christmas party? ;)

When we have dos here, it's normally free for permies, £10 for contractors, and £20 for partners. That suits me, as it ticks an IR35 box :)

THE_FORCE

Distinguished Member
When we have dos here, it's normally free for permies, £10 for contractors, and £20 for partners. That suits me, as it ticks an IR35 box :)
*** ? :confused:

As much as I enjoy all your posts on here (and I do !)...what does the above mean lol ? Maybe I'm not auto educated as I should be lol ??!

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
That's cheap :) I normally make contractors put £50 in the kitty :) but they can have their receipts

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
I feel your pain. Even though as a contractor, sometimes you'll end up doing twice as much as work as the next person, your still looked down at.

I've been a contractor twice now, and I'm hoping I'll never do it again.
No chance of me going permanent, ever. I earn double the permies so let them have their free drinks.

I thought contractors were given the option of buying their own place at a work do.
No option for that here.

qwerty321

Went to the work do last year and there was a contractor invited along who had just finished working there but still good friends with a lot of the guys. He jokingly purchased a few girly cocktails for the boss along with a note asking for a contract extension. :D

Also last year we only had to pay a deposit and unexpectedly the boss paid for the rest. It was great fun seeing my manager drunk though, he had to be told a few times to calm it before he said anything stupid by his manager. Still got him dancing on video though (and being dragged across some seating as he was relectuant to dance). :devil:

Citizen J

My workplace organized a party on a boat.

Then the "let me go" 3 weeks ago (before the party commenced).

So no Christmas party for me.

Instead I am sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Smudger14

My workplace organized a party on a boat.

Then the "let me go" 3 weeks ago (before the party commenced).

So no Christmas party for me.

Instead I am sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle :thumbsup:
Sorry to hear about that. And to let you go right before Christmas is bad on their part.

However, Jeremy Kyle can be quite good. I spent 11 months watching it while out of work :laugh:

qwerty321

However, Jeremy Kyle can be quite good. I spent 11 months watching it while out of work :laugh:
You watched 11 months of THIS?!:

Brave, brave man!

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Was he/she not in XFactor?

I do find the fake everything hilarious

qwerty321

Was he/she not in XFactor?

I do find the fake everything hilarious
Alex Reid? Nope. He is a cage fighter married to Katie Price. You can tell that the MMA has messed with his head by looking at who he ended up marrying!