Christmas Trees! :)

VAMOS DAN

I know its abit early but i love christmas :) and this will be my first in my own home :rolleyes:

I have noticed places are starting to sell xmas decorations now and im on the lookout for a good tree! Anyone recommend anywhere in the essex area with the best selection etc?

Not too keen on going down the real root as dont really want all pines over the floor!

Anyways any recommendations appreciated

Tis almost the season! :clap:

Hitby

Get a real tree. Christmas isn't Christmas without a real tree :) The smell of it when you walk through your front door outweighs hoovering up a couple of needles. If you buy a modern stand that holds water and feed then it probably won't drop much anyway and you can use the stand every year.

Plastic trees are a crime against Christmas! :lesson:

jassco

Distinguished Member
I had a real one a couple of years back. Left it up for so long that the needles had all turned brown. When I took it out through the door, almost every single needle fell off onto the floor :mad:

Hitby

yeah, that tends to happen if you let them completely die! :p

jassco

Distinguished Member
learned my lesson now, water it at least once in the space of 6 weeks :D

VAMOS DAN

Get a real tree. Christmas isn't Christmas without a real tree :) The smell of it when you walk through your front door outweighs hoovering up a couple of needles. If you buy a modern stand that holds water and feed then it probably won't drop much anyway and you can use the stand every year.

Plastic trees are a crime against Christmas! :lesson:

How much does a good real one set you back these days?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Real or artificial - don't think it matters. I think the key is in the decorating, nothing too subtle. There's nothing worse than trees that are single colour themed (unless you like it to look like something out of a department store window). Lots of lights, quirky ornaments look good, chocolate hanging things for kids (and some adults :blush:), couple of crackers, etc..etc...

We've had both real and artificial (currently artificial). If you buy an artificial one don't skimp on cost - the more expensive ones do look really good and last for years.

VAMOS DAN

Real or artificial - don't think it matters. I think the key is in the decorating, nothing too subtle. There's nothing worse than trees that are single colour themed (unless you like it to look like something out of a department store window). Lots of lights, quirky ornaments look good, chocolate hanging things for kids (and some adults :blush:), couple of crackers, etc..etc...

We've had both real and artificial (currently artificial). If you buy an artificial one don't skimp on cost - the more expensive ones do look really good and last for years.

Yeah i have a set budget for a tree but wont go skimpy on it, i just want a really nice one that is going to last and look good

Shady

Ah, got me looking forward to it already.

Go for a real tree from a decent Garden Centre, we generally pay around £25-30 for a Fraser Fir. Cut two inches off the bottom, stick it in a pot holder (one of these plastic ones with three screws to support it upright, and fill with water. Make sure it doesn't go below an inch from the top of water (you will initially be topping it up every day, but after about a week it'll be down to every 2-3 days).

We have done this every year for the last 5 years, and the amount of needle drop from this type of tree is fairly minimal. We then usually put it outside in the New Year with some fat balls and nuts hanging off for the birds - and stick it in the recycling when it comes to start to mow the lawn.

I used to be a plastic artificial tree person - but when i met my wife she showed me the error of my ways - you won't look back.

Cheers

nheather

Distinguished Member
My family loves Christmas. Our tree either goes up on the 1st December or the first weekend. This year it will probably be the 1st because I doubt we will be able to wait until Sat 5th.

We have a good quality (circa £100) artifical tree - it's around 14 years old now so, keep thinking of getting a new one but I need to find one that looks really good.

I really like the idea of a real one and each year we say "shall we" but end up not because

(i) Price - to get a good sized, nice looking tree is around £40 (our expensive artifical tree is currently running at £7 per year

(ii) Dropping needles - because we like to put up the tree early, I imagine it's quite a challenge to keep it healthy until Christmas day.

I'm sure we have the same old debate (old\new artificial or real) in a month or so.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

VAMOS DAN

I have been looking at a few artificial ones, but i hate it when they dont look ''full'' ie when you can see gaps and see through them quite easy.

Im quite fussy :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom