• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Christmas tree and people shots. need help

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys
Well, its that time of the year isnt it?
The tree went up on sunday and now the GF wants a nice shot of the kids in front of it.
I took this as an experiment and i like the shot but i need to get both of the kids in it and i hope to use a smaller apature like f/2.8. I dont have a tripod but i think with the little one bopping around im going to need to get a good speed up on the shutter. This is taken at 1/60 and its soft but we liked the look. my question is can i use a flash and get the same result more or less? if i can use a flash i can go higher on the shutter. i did think about bouncing the flash behind me but ive not tried it yet
Is this a stupid question? ive got a feeling its going to involve AV mode but ive not used my 30D like this before as i always shoot bounced flash in M mode.
thanks for any help
116174539-L.jpg

barongreenback

You can try a couple of things. Use the flash in Av mode - this will freeze the subject but correctly expose the background (I'd use a tripod for this). Alternatively you can up the shutter speed in M but the background might not look quite as attractive.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom