1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas sub fun

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kingcobbler, Dec 16, 2004.

1. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I think most of us members have seen the pictures of the "worlds largest subwoofer" where a bloke digs a massive hole in his floor. For 99.9% of us very interesting but totally impractical.

So, what, in the real world, is the biggest, baddest, nosiest most neighbour unfriendly sub I can walk into a shop and buy ?

I'm in the market for a new sub after Xmas and looking seriously at the Kef 4000 or maybe 5000, but how bad could I be !!!!

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well, look at the velodyne dd18..? and some of the more expesnive one by SVS - tho, I'm not sure what their model numbers are, but I'm sure someone like IanJ can confirm that one!

3. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well if you go the pro route i'm sure you can pick up some huge subs.. the ones at our local club go way beyond what i would consider large for the home cinema market. i'd say genelec (hts6 is it?) and the SVS B12-Plus/4 are probably up there.

i dont think the dd18 would win any of those awards due to the fact that since it is servo controlled and designed to keep distortion to ridiculously low amounts it has its max output slighty limited. for a sealed design it is also relatively compact.. maybe the 1812 signature though since thats like 2 subs strapped together? gotta be the most expensive and heaviest consumer sub i'd expect?!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Ultimate AV mag recently tested a range of super subs and whilst they seemd to have several catagories of winner the overall biggest baddest sub was the Genelec HTS6

Genelec are mainly sold into the pro market but are making big inroads into the domestic market over here. One of the featured installs on the Velodyne website is a forum member who has now sold his Velodyne DD-15 and replaced it with a cheaper Genelec sub that he seems very pleased with.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    How about a Quake?

Judging by the specs it could damage you and the neighbours in many interesting ways.

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  7. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56