Christmas Purchase questions (again!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by hutch, Aug 22, 2006.

1. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Hello all :hiya:

Been on the forum for a while now in the quest for a great plasma and now I have more questions for you to help me with if you wouldnt mind.

Originally my mind was made up with a 436XDE but after reading all the problems with retention I settled for the 42" Fujitsu 58 series. I will be gaming on my panel quite a lot so anything less than a bulletproof screen is a big no no.

Now im having doubts again, I have £3K to spend just before Christmas and im not convinced that the Fuji is the right way to go for me.....

I like the idea of the panel which I can add my own speakers to and im not bothered about tuners because I will be running SkyHD to it anyway however, im not sure I like the Piano gloss finish :eek: and im not convinced for the amount of money it will cost that I will get the perfect solution for me.

I was originally going to get the 58 with a HDMI passthrough amp (Pioneer 1016 or the new Onkyo were on the list) which I could then link up to my own speakers and have all the sources going through the amp which would still allow the panel to do all the relevant scaling as it is apparently so good.

However, now im thinking that another panel (Pana?) with a scaler would be the way to go, this way I could get all my inputs which I want (2/3 HDMI, 2/3 Composite and a VGA for my laptop) and hopefully a better picture from all the sources.

What does everyone else think and what panels/scalers should I be investigating? Are there any promising new products coming out before Christmas which I should have my eye on :confused:

Damn this forum! :rotfl:

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I'd go to the video processing forum and search for something like Panasonic + scaler versus Fujitsu on its own. It's been done to death already LOL!.

Basically you have to remember there are two major factors, processing quality and physical construction. The scaler+panny route will give you the best processing for sure. So less information is lost, colours are sent the screen more accurately etc. But physically the FUji is better. Built better, has a nicer contrast IMO, doesn't have black shift issue... Only Fuji and scaler will give you both, so you need to decide which you want more. Better panel itself or better processing. (the fact that the panel is Pana derived doesn't mean much - they behave differently outside of obvious contrast/brightness similarities)

3. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    i've looked in the video processor forum but couldnt find anything :confused:

im interested in new panels which are coming out between now and christmas as well if anyyone could help.

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    your going to have to wait for them to come out, there is some info on AVSforum in the US where some have been delivered

6. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
  7. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    sorry i didnt make myself clear i was thinking more of which models were coming out before christmas so i can search for info myself as and when they are released :)