1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas Present

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by CurlyEric, Nov 27, 2004.

1. CurlyEric

CurlyEric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

My 14 year old son is looking to get his first set of separates for Christmas. And I'm interested in your opinions for the "best value" setup, his room is in the attic of our house and he knows that the acoustics will be ****.

He is looking for an Amp, Speakers and CD. (Mini disc would be an added bonus).

So where are the places to go online for this type of system ? (richer sounds ?)

Is an Optical Input important.

Can I get the above (minus the minidisc) for under £150.

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers...CE

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Will be a strugle for seprates it think, that price is more mini system teritory i think. Some thing like the denon 39 is good quality and around that price i think.

If you need seprates at that pricethensecond hand is the only route, check out the classified here, richer sounds' "trade counter" and look at your local hi fi shops, i got lots of cheap stuff form my local sevenoaks, it's ex demo but often the stuff has just been on the shelves. You could try ebay but will probably be as expensive as the stuff is new.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Secondhand is a great way to get into quality hifi for not much cash.

Place a wanted add in the classifieds here (read the rules first!) I got a nice Marantz CD and Amp for my office off them for £50 all in.

Richer Sounds do have some real bargains if you want to buy new, £150 is very tight though, a mini system from Denon, Onkyo or Teac may be another option, very decent for what they are.

Richers do have open box and ex dem stuff. Something along the lines of a Cambridge amp and cd with Mission M70S (may need stands).

Have a look here - usually low on stock but I have bought in the past.
    http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/
    Sony cd, amp and Mission bookshelves looks do-able.

If he wants optical in then look at an AV amp like Pioneer 511

www.ex-dem.co.uk

www.ebay.co.uk

www.hififorsale.com

http://www.sevenoaksdb.net/ssav/stockclearance/clearance.aspx

Gus

4. converse

converse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are going to be hard pressed to find anything good for that price, best I can recommend - over budget and all in one, but high quality (and v well regarded) is the Denon DM-31, try this link at QED for a good price QED Link

More info at www.denon.co.uk

You'll probably be looking at at least another £50 for some basic bookshelf speakers, which would bring you to about £250.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Curly you will be hard pressed to get all that for sub £150 :

£200 will buy you this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00023GNPG/kelkoo-2004-ce-21/ref=nosim/202-3087941-2780608

Pretty smart considering its facilities IMHO.

The Denon DM31 is the uber mini system @ £200 but you need to add speakers. The only thing Ive heard that betters that is the £800 Linn Classik. But all things considered I would have the Sony 373 system – I reccod it to a friend for his son last xmas [when it was the 333] and he’s been well chuffed with it. Sony make nice little all in one systems IMHO.