Christmas Job

7ewis

Novice Member
I'm 16 and have gotten my 'National Insurance Card' and would like to get a job during my Christmas break (finish on Friday), I have never had a job before so I don't really know what I should do..

I live in a village, about 10 miles away from the nearest town, but I can get a bus there.. Otherwise it's a bit awkward having to rely on my parents getting me somewhere. I'm not looking for any specific job, just one that can get me some money. I have a CV, but it's not very complete as I have only done 1 GCSE which I did a year early and am currently retaking it, i got a B in French :p that's not much use for any job at the moment.

My timings are quite flexible, have 3 weeks off school and nothing planned really. Could do physical work or something like working on a computer.. But I'm not really sure what types of job I should look at, because I don't know who would want to hire me :p.. After Christmas I would probably have to quit the job as I have to go to school on Saturdays :/

What job would you suggest? Would your hire me?

I doubt I live near any of you, but I'm jut trying to get some ideas. If you need any more information l, just ask:)

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Try restaurants, they sometimes hire extra staff over Christmas.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
The post office take on extra staff at their sorting offices over Christmas. It's quite late to apply so there might not be any openings left but it's worth a try.

7ewis

Novice Member
I have a local post office, but there's normally just one person there, I'll try anyway:)

I'm just wondering whether say an electronics store would want to hire me though?:/

Berties

Banned
I'm just wondering whether say an electronics store would want to hire me though?:/

Why not? If you're selling xbox, phones, and other gadgets you probably know more than old fuddy duddy sales staff. I worked in curries once over christmas. What's good is if you do lots of other jobs /hours in temp it's knackering and you know you can't do that forever, just as a temp thing so get a quick bonus - will allow you to buy a new thing, then drop down to regular income and not so knackered. Think I had three jobs going at one point.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
I have a local post office, but there's normally just one person there, I'll try anyway:)

Only problem is even as a xmas temp 3 weeks is a bit short and its very late notice, it normally takes some of the larger retailers that long or longer to interview, train and get people started, i can only think you'd find somewhere to work cash in hand at short notice or try much smaller, independant stores.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
Your best bet is to put on some smartish clothes catch a bus into town and go in to as many stores as you can and ask if they are interested in taking on any casual staff for Christmas season. Take copies of your cv with you (make sure it has a contact number on it) to give to prospective employers. Worse that can happen is that they say no, but if you look smart, smile and they like you then they might just say yes.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Your best bet is to put on some smartish clothes catch a bus into town and go in to as many stores as you can and ask if they are interested in taking on any casual staff for Christmas season. Take copies of your cv with you (make sure it has a contact number on it) to give to prospective employers. Worse that can happen is that they say no, but if you look smart, smile and they like you then they might just say yes.

This is the best advice. :thumbsup:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Is money the primary reason for working? Maybe there are some volunteering opportinities that would get you some experience.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
This is the best advice. :thumbsup:
Definitely.

The amount of scruffy oiks that march into the pub I work at and belch out, "got any work?" is just ridiculous. Make an effort, be smart, polite, confident (but not cocky) and show that you're willing to work hard. It's probably your best bet given the late notice.

Good luck, and remember to persevere. Don't let a few rejections get you down :thumbsup:

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
General assistant at a supermarket; shelf stacking , trolley collecting, usually have some sexually frustrated house-wives to keep you company.

7ewis

Novice Member
Haha thanks for the advice guys:)

The job is mainly for a bit of money, but I know it is good to have work experience on your CV, so that too!

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
fair play for wanting to get a job to earn a bit of money, i had plenty of friends growing up who prefered to live off the bank of mum and dad rather than grafting for a bit of extra cash

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom