Christine Bleakley to leave BBC for ITV

soundstory

Prominent Member
Reaction score
BBC television presenter Christine Bleakley will leave The One Show to join ITV and her former co-host Adrian Chiles, ITV has announced.

She has agreed a three-year deal to present a breakfast show with Chiles and prime time entertainment shows.

The announcement came after the BBC said it had withdrawn an offer for Bleakley to stay, saying she had been "unable to make a decision".

Mr Chiles left The One Show in April over changes to the show's format.

At the time he said he was disappointed that the BBC had added BBC Radio 2's Chris Evans to the presenting team on Fridays, replacing Chiles.

Chiles is now fronting ITV's football coverage and is due to begin hosting a revamped breakfast show, in place of GMTV.

Announcing her move on Sunday after three years on The One Show, Bleakley said: "It is with regret that this experience is coming to an end.

"I have been torn between working with Adrian Chiles and remaining at the BBC. I fully understand the BBC had to move more swiftly than I could, and as a result they've managed to help make my mind up for me."

'Unique partnership'

ITV director of television, Peter Fincham, said he was "thrilled" at Bleakley's move.

"It's great that she'll be reunited with Adrian Chiles and their unique and brilliant partnership will be at the heart of our new-look breakfast show from this autumn.

"Christine will also become a familiar face to ITV peak-time audiences. We can't wait to get started."

Earlier, the BBC had said it was putting "the interests of The One Show audience first and the current uncertainty does not allow us to do that".

Adrian Chiles is due to anchor a revamped GMTV on ITV The BBC said it had been in discussions with Bleakley about her new contract ever since she told the corporation in April she wanted to be part of a relaunched The One Show following Chiles's departure.

"With that in mind we made a full and final offer to her several weeks ago and made it clear we would not be entering into a bidding war with other channels," the BBC said.

"Christine is still unable to make a decision and therefore we have regretfully withdrawn our offer as we have to put the interests of The One Show audience first and the current uncertainty does not allow us to do that," it added.

Bleakley had explained in an unusual move last week that she was trying to decide whether to accept offers from the BBC or ITV, making it clear she could rejoin Chiles if she chose to.

Celebrities do not normally say anything about contract negotiations until a deal is signed.

'Brilliant relationship'

At the time, she said of her and Chiles: "We have a brilliant relationship on and off screen, although I can't say I'd particularly relish the idea of dealing with him at 5am every morning.

"On the other hand the BBC is incredibly good to me and I'm very close to everyone on The One Show, which I love presenting. The BBC's plans for The One Show are very exciting."

MPs got involved when it was reported that the BBC had offered her a £900,000 contract over two years.

John Whittingdale, chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee, told The Sun: "This is public money. If she feels she can go and earn vast sums in the private sector, then good luck to her."

Bleakley recently signed a new management deal which means she is now represented by the same company as Chiles.

so? :) - it's all over the news

... though I don't know why person leaves job and gets new job is a major news headline

glad the BBC didn't get into a bidding war for a relative newcomer who is just a presenter and not a creative or journalistic talent ... though pretty sure it was a cabinet minister who made them pull out, rather than actually having any balls themselves; Alan Yentob's now going round doing some damage limitation (as he did when JR didn't renew his contract)

It's all swings and roundabouts in that she'll be back at beeb in a few years after her stint at GMTV...only if she is a success with Chilles
Hopefully not ... most that go over to the other side (apart from Ch4) can stay there :smashin:

I wonder what GMTV is being rebranded as ... ITV Breakfast with Adrian and Christine :boring: :boring: :boring:
- well I guess it is going slightly upmarket ---> from the Daily Star to the Daily Mirror

It's all swings and roundabouts in that she'll be back at beeb in a few years after her stint at GMTV...only if she is a success with Chilles

GMTV use to be as they called it 6-7 The News hour. I dont know what the rest was called but I would have called it The presenters that left the brains at the door but look nice 2 1/3 hours

Quite encouraging to see that GMTV has dipped well below BBC Breakfast in the ratings in recent years, but the smug tabloid twits still carried on :suicide:

they're all fairly dumbed down shows ... BBC Breakfast had to pull away some GMTV viewers so got some bland presenters like Dermot Nobhead and Sian Dumbass, and plenty of stupid outside broadcasts talking to the Great British public about bacon or cardigans
- that's why I tend to stick with Radio 4/5live

GMTV use to be as they called it 6-7 The News hour. I dont know what the rest was called but I would have called it The presenters that left the brains at the door but look nice 2 1/3 hours

The news hour is/was the only decent part of GMTV with John and Penny. I don't watch it anymore but i hear Penny has [-]been shoved off the couch [/-]left of her own accord.

The rest of the show is a crock of ****. :)

Oh no! :facepalm:

The news hour is/was the only decent part of GMTV with John and Penny. I don't watch it anymore but i hear Penny has [-]been shoved off the couch [/-]left of her own accord.

The rest of the show is a crock of ****. :)

Sometimes if I was up realy early I use to watch the BBC from 6-7 as they use to do a very interesting business hour, and then it was a toss up between BBC and GMTV as the BBC regurgitates all items of every hour to the next, but generaly the BBC won. Although they had some realy good presenters I use to like Liz Mackean, Jeremy Bowen and Tanya Beckett who they dubbed the money honey.

GMTV like the Ken and Barbie show now.

It really surprises me that you can have a new presenter on a show from pretty much know where, and the next minute they are being traded between the tv channels for money that wouldn't shame a Van Goch.

The one show is pretty bland and so are the presenters, why on earth do they think someone that is basically just a pretty prompt reader will make a massive change to the ratings elsewhere?

Another person I've never even seen on tv. The only reason I know what she looks like is because they put her pic in the paper when she went out with Lampard.

Here's another one I've never seen but keep hearing his name everywhere - Justin Bieber. Who is he ?

Am I just getting old ? :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom