Chris Squire

Discussion in 'Obituaries Forum' started by overkill, Jun 28, 2015.

1. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Chris Squire, founder member of the progressive rock group Yes, and hugely influential bassist passed away today. He leaves a huge legacy of music, and some of the truly great albums of the 1970's were made with his distinctive, and highly important to the music, bass lines thundering over them.

Yes, unlike the majority of the bands of their era kept the flame flying almost continuously, right up until his untimely passing.

A sad loss, and yet another of the idols of my youth has passed.

Thanks for the Music Chris, my you RIP.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Very sad, not everyone's taste in music but it was mine, he will be greatly missed.

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    P1010590.JPG Very sad news.

RIP Chris, as with Overkill, one of the heroes of my youth has gone.
    I took this at Manchester Apollo just last May.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Very sad day. RIP Chris. Only saw them the once a few years ago. Terrific live band still.

5. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    I've also posted this on the music forum, but (for me) it's appropriate that I post it here as well.

I've said it before on these forums, and I'll say it again. Yes are one of the greatest British rock bands of all time, certainly the equal of The Who, Floyd, Queen and Zeppelin. Possibly the greatest live British band ever. In the 1970's they were untouchable as a live act. They didn't do 'off nights'.
    Hearing Fragile for the first time changed the way I listened to music, and possibly changed my life. Yessongs is certainly the greatest live rock album ever released, better than Made In Japan IMHO.
    They never succumbed to the pressure of the charts (apart from a couple of years in the 1980's). They never did anthem sing a longs, and stayed true to what they loved and wanted to play.
    That they have been airbrushed from rock history is a travesty.
    I really really loved Chris Squire, as you can probably tell.

6. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Founder member and bass player with Yes, Chris Squire has lost his battle with leukemia Yes bass guitarist Chris Squire dies aged 67 - BBC News

A sad day for Yes fans and lovers of classic progressive rock. Chris was a larger than life character with a monumental talent. He leaves us with a daunting legacy of music. My thoughts go out to Scotty and the children.

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    Quarry, it's not just fans of progressive rock who are grieving. Chris redefined what the bass guitar was. He didn't play it as a bass instrument. He played it as a melodic instrument. He was as great an influence on bass players as Hendrix was on guitar players. He is as influential in rock circles as Jaco was in the jazz community. I hope that in the years to come he will be recognised as such. Though I'm not holding my breath.

8. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Well, to be fair, McCartney started playing the bass as a melodic instrument before Chris did so the door was already open by the time Chris started. Chris's style was, to me, a combination of both McCartney and Entwistle and was certainly more than a sum of its parts. Even the worst of Yes songs are bound to feature a great bass line from the man.

As for Yes being paid their dues by the rock fraternity, remember that it took until 2010 for Genesis (a band curiously missing from your list of great British bands) to be recognised for their efforts and be inducted into the Hall Of Fame - and Yes started before them!

9. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  10. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Reading those tributes reaffirms what I always suspected, that on a personal level he was a damn good person to be around (providing you were willing to wait for him to turn up!).