Chris Rock is a Racist!

M

mad_danny

I was watching paramount last night and Chris Rocks standup was on. Now, i have only ever seen him in films and i thought he was quite funny. Well now after i watched the standup i have changed my mind. I never knew how racist he was, i mean i watched it for at least 15 minutes and i can say that i didnt laugh at one joke.

Now i am far from been racist and i dont feel i need to justify that on here by saying, "ive got loads of black friends" but forgive me if i am wrong but wasnt jim davidsons standup the exact same. I watched a tv programme afew months back and he was slaughtered for what he said.

Some of chris rocks jokes were not on i feel in this day and age and i think we would like to believe we have moved on from this kind of discussion, but we clearly havent????

if anything you need to watch MORE chris rock. If the stand up you saw was against whites then you need to watch some of his stuff against blacks. He does just as much and its common for black commedians to make a few jokes about white people. All you have to do is watch def comedy jam. Any white people in the audience get welcommed and thanked for coming but then treated the same as anyone else. Theres a fine line as to wether making jokes on stereotypical behaviour of white people or black people makes the person a true racist. For example a lot of the black commedians will use a similar nerdy voice when impersonating white people, and then add an over the top "motherchuffer" voice for black people.
Each stand up show he does will have a different perspective. Pretty much off of Chris' jokes are based on race but he doesnt neccessarily side one way or the other

he's not just racist, he's incredibly sexist and foul mouthed too. I actually find some of his stuff funny, but i do wish he'd move on from the white bashing. Having said that the situation in the states while much better than before is still highly prejudiced against the black and non-white population. He still has reason to be angry with the establishment and some of that reflects in his routines. Any way if i was white I'd hate to be inthe audience (in exactly the same way i'd hate to be in an audience with some of our racist comediens).

i never said racist again white people, i said racist! well for example one of his jokes that got a massive laugh was, "i dont hate noone not jews, not blacks, i hate white people"
now correct me if i am wrong but that isnt funny to me whether i am black of white, its just not funnt, and that is my point

to be honest i think he's brillaint, and as said above have never found him to side with one race over another,
But do two wrongs make a right?

Jim Davidson wasn't a racist. He made fun of racists by pretending to be one.

shahedz said:
to be honest i think he's brillaint, and as said above have never found him to side with one race over another,

is it about sides???????

Nick_UK said:

OH MY GOD!

Nick_UK said:

Well - I laughed at that!
Crikey.

its not about sides no, its about chris' humour being race based but not limited to just bashing one particular race or every race but one. He bashes them all! one show i watched it he said "i LOOOVE black people.. but i HATE N******"
Then goes on to talk about how n****** hate to work and love not knowing things... like they take pride in not knowing what your talkin about
He may be a bit controversial but would he be as famous otherwise?

Nick_UK said:
I really don't think he's that sophisticated... (from interviews, and the fact that most of his audience don't see it as taking the mickey out of a racist character)

Now the late Johnny Speight's Alf Garnett as played by Warren Mitchell was genius

krish72 said:
I really don't think he's that sophisticated... (from interviews, and the fact that most of his audience don't see it as taking the mickey out of a racist character)

Now the late Johnny Speight's Alf Garnett as played by Warren Mitchell was genius

.... and lots of people with 'racist leanings' thought Alf Garnett was being serious too, at the time :rolleyes:

I think chris rocks a great comedian, most american comedians rely on race for laughs but in my opinion its the funniest topic they can pick, whatever race they are laughing about, just like dave chapelle- hes a funny guy but they laugh at blacks as much as whites. I guess people over in America laugh at different things to most of us over here, cultures just different.

For me I wish people would stop using this type of 'humour'.
It perpetuates stereotypes and validates racism (either way) for those who are racist.
I suppose it will always be - so as long as some people can't 'move on' to better things.

Do you watch Dave Chapelle's show? Now that is near the knuckle! Hilarious...

No, its ok if they pretend!
I had that Adolf hitler in the back of my taxi once! (talking of being misunderstood):eek:

the_caretaker said:
No, its ok if they pretend!
I had that Adolf hitler in the back of my taxi once! (talking of being misunderstood):eek:

George Carlin is good. He's very fair - he attacks everyone - blacks, whites, gays, straights, Jews, Arabs, men, women, anorexics......... top bloke ! :)

chris rock is one of the funnest comedians about. i thought he was in danger of slipping into eddie murphy territory as some of his movies were a bit crap, but everybody hates chris showed that he could even do G rated comedy that was hilarious. most of the people in the business he works for or with will be white. even BET (black entertainment television) is now owned by viacom, and has been part of the mtv network since 2000, so if he was considered racist i doubt such a big corporation would keep him on. most of his humour is observational and self depreciating, similar to early eddie murphy, and completely different from jim davidson and bernard mannings "white man, black man, yellow man" style "jokes"

hopefully he will stick with the adult material like richard pryor, who said that it was that material that housed and fed his family, so why should his kids be ashamed of his cussing, unlike eddie murphy who wanted to make movies that his kids could watch, and his real fans couldn't bear to watch. was he trying to be like steve martin by not releasing a funny movie in 20 years?

if you don't like his stand up, don't watch it. one routine is fairly similar to another. he certainly isn't a racist as far as i'm concerned. he's a very talented guy, which many of his own shows, including chat shows and sitcoms, as well as his stand up, movies and albums

oh, and before i forget, i better warn you there is no sex in the champange room!

Decadence said:
Do you watch Dave Chapelle's show? Now that is near the knuckle! Hilarious...

chapelle is another of america's greatest comedians at the moment, it's just a shame he didn't complete season 2. it's well worth getting season 1 and 2 on dvd.

i'm rick james beyaatch!!!!!!! :D

george carlin is great too. he has a PILE of stuff but is almost completely unknown in the uk. you've probably seen him in a few movies like carwarsh and dogma

The problem is that many people actually mis-understand what racism actually means. Some people actually believe that you should not even notice someone's ethnicity when you meet them. I think they are the ones fooling themselves.

Is making a joke against someone racist?

Comedians will pick on everything: being a woman, being a man, being very tall, being fat, being very small, being very thin, having big ears, being white/black/yellow, being a redneck, being catholic etc...

The same as an actor in a movie pretends to be an evil person doesn't mean they are in real life, a comedian making jokes against a certain group doesn't mean they believe it in real life. Their job is to make people laugh and that's what they do. Because we all have different humour it won't make everyone laugh obviously.

You also have to laugh at yourself sometimes and not take yourself too seriously.

Jenn said:
Is making a joke against someone racist?

Comedians will pick on everything: being a woman, being a man, being very tall, being fat, being very small, being very thin, having big ears, being white/black/yellow, being a redneck, being catholic etc...

The same as an actor in a movie pretends to be an evil person doesn't mean they are in real life, a comedian making jokes against a certain group doesn't mean they believe it in real life. Their job is to make people laugh and that's what they do. Because we all have different humour it won't make everyone laugh obviously.

You also have to laugh at yourself sometimes and not take yourself too seriously.
At the same time you have to know where the line is drawn. Some, in fact most people, don't enjoy someone making offensive remarks about their looks, race, creed or religion - if it's done with intent.

The likes of Manning, Davidson etc did make nasty jokes with intent. Dave Allen by contrast took the mickey out of everyone and everything, but was never nasty about it. It's all very well saying "well, it's only a laugh", but done in the wrong way it most definitely isn't.

Jimmy Jones brought it home to me. I sat listening to one of his 'performances' with a coloured friend, and it was absolutely cringe inducing. They guy put up with enough of that crap in real life with a 'comedian' getting cheap laughs with it. :rolleyes:

How on earth is Chris Rock in any shape or form racist? He, like Dave Chapelle mentioned before him, is simply taking known stereotypes to ridiculous extreme to show they aren't valid, and in the process totally destroying the position of real racists. He's extremely funny though, yes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom