1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Frost: CRT genious strikes again

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nebby, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Calling all Seleco users...

When it comes to setting up your projector forget :rtfm: and think RTCF - Refer To Chris Frost.

Having first dipped my toes into the wonderful world of CRT back in June, I thought I'd done a reasonable job with my PJ's convergence and picture setup.

Wrongo!

Having decided to call in Chris for what I foolishly thought would be little more than a tune up, I was kind of hoping his opening words would be something like "not bad for a newbie." What I got was "well, you've got a picture...kind of."

Five hours later though, and boy did I have a picture!

Chris went right back to basics - first checking my PJ was square to the screen (it wasn't) and then level (it wasn't), before moving on to convergence (don't even ask).

Every step of the way he took the time to explain what he was doing, why he was doing it, and what effect it would have on the image projected. Note to Seleco: you might want to adopt this approach with your literature - just a thought guys, just a thought.

With convergence absolutely spot on (believe me..there's not a hint of blue or red showing from behind the green), he moved on to picture setup.

And, damn, if it doesn't look fantastic! Bright, clean, sharp - perfect.

As I say, I thought I'd done a reasonable job myself. On a scale of one to ten though, I'd probably only got it to about four or five tops (compared to what I'm looking at now, my original picture was so soft it could have been sponsored by Andrex). Thanks to Chris, he's cranked it all the way up to eleven. Hey, when you reach ten, where you gonna go? That's right, eleven.

At this point I think I should issue a word of warning:- those of a nervous disposition should look away when Chris is checking the NTSC set-up, as his DVD scene of choice was the car chase from Ronin, which had me reaching for the motion sickness tablets...I swear I could smell the rubber burning.

All kidding aside, it was a pleasure (and fascinating) to watch an expert at work. Not only did he do an absolutely fantastic job, he was great company too...not a word of complaint everytime our dog tried to eat him...plus he never once complained about the cups of tea Mrs Nebby serves (hey Chris, why do you think I stuck to coffee all night?).

Having arrived here in deepest, darkest Cambridgeshire at 5:15pm, he didn't leave until after 10:30...with a nice four hour journey ahead of him. Now that's dedication above and beyond the call of duty.

Take a bow Chris Frost, you are a CRT legend. :thumbsup:

Nebby

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    :blush: Blimey, that bloke sounds fantastic. Are you sure it was me who visited you? :rotfl:

Ben, it was a real pleasure to visit and help you with your projector. The hospitality the you and Ali showed me was truly first class. Thank you again.

All the best and happy viewing.

Chris

3. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Deepest darkest Cambridgeshire? Whereabouts? And, can I come and drink your tea and take a gander? :devil:

Andy

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You're about half an hours drive from Bens place.

Regards

5. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Then he can't be in deepest darkest Cambridgeshire, that's where I am. He must be on the fringes. :)

Andy

6. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Coo. Another Cambridgeshire CRT person.

I'm not sure Deepest Darkest Cambridgeshire is really an apt description, Flatest, Bleakest Cambridgeshire, now that would be more like it. :rotfl:

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Having been to Andy's and also Arcam....and TAGMcLarens's old headquarters I'd say that Alaric's description is most apt....hahahaha

Gordon