Chownsie's first attempt at a Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by chownsie79, May 6, 2019.

1. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,

Here we go! After loads of good advice from members on the forum, research and struggles trying to get the right trades in, I'm starting my home cinema and having a go at some of the work myself.

I ran cables a while ago now, 5.1.4 for atmos, cat6 as I was originally going for a TV on the wall, but have now decided to go for a projector/screen set up.

So far I've ripped the ceiling down, it was water damaged and had popped off the nails, ripped the carpet up and installed one, yes one, ceiling box for a monitor audio 265-IDC speaker - it was emotional :)

A few questions or clarifications on this. The room is 3.5m wide, due to cable and central heating pipe runs, I've had to step the box in just over 1m, which I'll do the other side - so the atmos speakers will only be 1.5m apart, is this an issue? I'll have a 2m screen, so the left and right fronts will be 1m in as well to line up the atmos, so fairly close to the central speaker - any issue with this?

Anyway, the box is 350mm wide, which is the width between the joist - at the base of the joists.... of course the joists are bowed and so the box would not fit as intended, you'll see from the photographs that I switched the orientation and built up one side with some old floor-boarding I had in the garage.

First image is some rough cabling a electrician left me with, not chased in!

Also, I found a load of blanked off sockets around my house containing this twin cable (see image 192035) just blanked in sockets and no idea what it is for?

Would be good to hear thoughts on the space and build as I go, I will probably not get a chance to do more now until the weekend..

Attached Files:

2. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So I've taken one step forward then two back, after buying some monitor audio CMBOX-Rs from Richer Sounds for my atmos speakers, I returned them today due to their all round poor level of service, their installer has not called or visited to do a survey in over 2 weeks now...

I'm waiting on plumbers to quote to move pipework (where my atmos speaker should be) so I'll just crack on running a few more cables for now.

Attached Files:

3. Darrenraymond

Darrenraymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Looking forward to seeing your progress Chown.

Have you purchased everything else or is that still to be confirmed?

Best of luck and keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

4. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Darren,

Nothing purchased yet, I'm trying to hold my nerve for bargains at the moment but am tempted by the Marantz 7012 at £850.

I'm going to finish with speaker cable this weekend and try tidying up the electrical wiring, then it's plumbers next week for those pipes and a custom installer is dropping in, I'm hoping to help with the design element, also the old fire is being ripped out Thursday :)

5. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    Following!

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
    • List
  6. Darrenraymond

Darrenraymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Nice. I have the older SR7005 myself and have been very happy with its performance.

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,822
    Don't hold on too long. Dangerous time of year as they can suddenly disappear.

8. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks gibbsy, I'll order it next week:thumbsup:

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,822
    Oh I do love spending other people's money.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ha ha, you think it's a good buy? I'm wondering if I should look for an 11 channel bargain so I'm ready for 7.1.4 but then it's a budget thing...

11. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,822
    All you have to do is buy a two channel power to take it to a full 7.1.4 as it can process 11 channels. Win, win.

12. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    @gibbsy superb. Do you know the kef equivalent to the monitor audio 265-IDCs please?

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,822
    Unfortunately no.

14. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No worries, I'll call one of the big suppliers (AVOnline etc) as I'm sure they will know. I'm looking for atmos speakers, similar to the 265-IDC's discussed on the other thread with @jamieu, I'll see this week how expensive this pipework move will be, I might see if I can find something with a shallower back box.

15. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So nothing much to report this weekend, today was a right off due to me road racing (running) in Alton. Yesterday I ripped off the skirting and ran the two extra speakers cables for the side surrounds, marked out the positions but will check these with the people coming over Tuesday...

I have a good feeling I can make this space close to spot on with the Dolby recommendations, which I'm quite pleased about :)

16. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Decisions, decisions - I'm crap at making them.

@gibbsy I looked into the additional amp for to get 11 channels out of the Marantz 7012 but the amp would be around £650, plus the £850 and you're into more cost than the Denon 6400's, but then I don't need it straight away I guess...

17. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,822
    I've never really looked into power amps as for room size I'm limited to 5.1.2 and I wanted a stereo amp for the fronts. As long as you have the wiring in place you can add both speakers and power amp at a later date.

18. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,701
    You don't have to buy a Marantz amp for the extra two channels - any power amp will do. Plenty of them 2nd hand on eBay or Gumtree - and if they're just going to power a pair of the Atmos speakers you don't need to spend much at all, £100-ish will get you a basic model, £200 might get you a better one - and if you push the boat out you can configure the Marantz to allow the front pair of speakers to be powered by the external amp, and everything else by the Marantz's internal amps.

19. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    @The Dreamer that sounds like the ideal scenario then, I'll get cracking on the 7012 tomorrow..

Fixed AT screens next and height from the floor to the bottom of it.

20. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So it was an interesting start to today, with a visit from another local CI.

He was far more open to helping with the design and as much or as little of the work as they needed to do, while I crack on with anything I can in between. I'll await the quotation, he will quote in full for equipment and work, I think I can crack on now with some chasing out and go from there.

Hopefully moving the pipe work will not be too expensive....

21. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Today has been busy with people coming in to quote, so far a plumber has been round and will quote shortly on pipe moving, but not available until 3rd June!!

John from Audio T has been round and will quote a package, seem knowledgeable but very against acoustic transparent screens as he suggested we would see the weave - you'd love him @jamieu

One more plumber and a carpenter to come, door change and pelmet plus another view on moving those pipes. Feels a bit like I've stalled but hopefully can pick it up again soon.

22. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Progress today with the old gas fire being ripped out, the room looks bigger already.

Not such good news with the plumbers as they're not free until June, but I guess a good thing really, must mean they are good! Pipes can be relocated from below in plastic and then fully pressure tested, this will give me the space for my in-ceiling boxes. We have some other issues with the central heating system but it can be tackled later on.

Great service from Sapphire screens, they confirmed today their screens are made by Grand View and shipped in big containers, so they pass a cost saving onto the customers to be competitive. As I cannot see one operational, I'm still slightly nervous about AT and picture quality (especially after the visit yesterday) but I think it is the way to go...

Attached Files:

23. jamieu

jamieu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    ;-)

The cynic in me is guessing that someone has a store room full of non-AT screens they're hoping to shift! Otherwise that statement makes zero sense. Have you ever sat in a decent cinema / screening room and thought, oh what a lovely cinema, just a shame I can see the weave on the screen? Total nonsense..

Believe me, you'll be really pleased you went with an AT screen, it's the only way to get that proper cinema experience. Bet the room is gonna look great when it's finished!

24. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks @jamieu - would you have any thoughts on the C265IDC's for atmos vs the CSS230's? Plumbers are on a long lead time, CMBOX's are on a long lead time and I am guessing the pipe moving is going to be expensive....

However, if I lose loads in performance then it would be worth the wait..

25. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This weekend has been a write off as we were attending a birthing course today and I'm running tomorrow in an event.

I've had a CI quote but it was really expensive. I've also had a quote from Audio T as follows;

JVC LX-UH1 4K PROJECTOR BLACK
    GRANDVIEW CYBER 9FT 120" FIXED FRAME SCREEN
    M.AUDIO CPWT380IDC IN WALL SPK (X5)
    REL T5i SUBWOOFER PIANO BLACK
    M.AUDIO SCSS230 IN-CEILING SPK (X4)
    PEERLESS PRG-UNV WHITE UNIVERSAL PROJECTOR BRACKET
    AUDIOQUEST PEARL HDMI 1M QUOTE
    LABOUR
    INSTALL SUNDRIES QUOTE 115.98 1.00 115.98 23.20 139.18 26349
    PIONEER VSX-LX503 AV RECEIVER BLACK

Not had a chance to really digest it all yet, but it seems reasonable - although I'll probably tweak some of the kit.

The next plan is for lighting, whether to look at Phillips hue or rako etc - I am thinking wall lights as there are 3 already there, just something a bit more modern, RGB strips around the pelmet and some LED down lights also housed in the pelmet. I'll not have lights in the centre of the room, but will have the down lights as pivoting ones.

Hopefully I can get back on it soon...

26. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    My AVR arrived today :)

Which leads me onto questions....

My AVR will be housed in a hub, I intend to use HDBaseT matrix to control the AVR via cat6 and IR, I believe this is correct, which means I will need to run a CAT6 feed to somewhere where I can place a sensor.

To connect my projector, I'll need a cat6 cable from the AVR to the projector with a HDMI balun at the projector end?

Does this sound right?

27. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Over the past few days I've been doing bits and pieces plus a bit or research on lighting, screens and cabling for a projector directly into the AVR around 8m away in the hub. So much to learn!

I cut out two holes for my LCR's and the plaster away for the third before I had to stop today, the concrete blocks are solid - I thought about an angle grinder but didn't want to pay loads for it, so used an SDS drill and a chisel. It is a non-supporting, single skin wall - the kitchen is the other side, so I might get my structural engineer friend to just check it is okay as there are some big cupboards the other side.

I'll be sure to screw my baffle wall to the concrete floor and joist above the wall, then the battens to the wall itself, to create a bit more structure.

Unfortunately, some loose plaster fell out in the kitchen - I'm not very popular this evening :nono:

Attached Files:

28. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So after a quiet week on holiday, I've decided to take a couple of days off to finish chopping out the walls and getting the dusty bit finished, I'm also going to try and focus on one thing at a time so I don't get bogged down in multiple research topics.

I ordered the EH-TW7400 projector today, it will arrive tomorrow as will hopefully the new HDMI cable, I can then start image projection onto the wall and decide on the screen I will get.

29. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The dusty bit is done, wall chased out today and my projector arrived so I can play tomorrow or over the weekend, I've ordered speakers to test out the holes and make sure they fit in them.

30. chownsie79

chownsie79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Photographs...

Attached Files: