Chosing the RIGHT NAS device

dipb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a WD TV Live and a Freecom Network Storage device which is almost full now. I am looking to buy a NAS device which is,
1. reliable
2. high ins read/write speed
3. cost effective
4. has dlna so that WD TV Live can see
5. preferrable USB support as well (in case)
6. web share or ftp share for remote access

I did a little survey and pretty much narrowed down on
1. WD My Book Live (which doesnot have point 5 above)
2. WD My Book World Edition (which have all)
3. Freecome Media Centre
4. Buffalo Link Station Pro

Any suggestions welcome.

Any direction to a comparison site which gives a comparison all above drive with respect to above criteria is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a WD TV Live and a Freecom Network Storage device which is almost full now. I am looking to buy a NAS device which is,
1. reliable
2. high ins read/write speed
3. cost effective
4. has dlna so that WD TV Live can see
5. preferrable USB support as well (in case)
6. web share or ftp share for remote access

I did a little survey and pretty much narrowed down on
1. WD My Book Live (which doesnot have point 5 above)
2. WD My Book World Edition (which have all)
3. Freecome Media Centre
4. Buffalo Link Station Pro

Any suggestions welcome.

Any direction to a comparison site which gives a comparison all above drive with respect to above criteria is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

As a long time user of Buffalo Linkstations (both at home and fo friends and family) I hve vbeen very impressed with the ease they handle media files.

I have found that all USB drives attachd to a NAS box behave uite slowly but are ideal for backing up the NAS.

I also Have 2 ReadyNAS Duos and they do the same.

I have ditched my Freecom NAS as it was very flaky in terms of holdng onto the network. 2 replacement units did the same.

In your position I would be looking to make a bigger leap than a single drive unit to one that offers either RAID (mirroring (RAID 1) or basic striping (stripe 0 - not truly RAID)) or JBOD (spanning) for the highest level of storage capacity. (eg in JBOD 2 x 2Tb HDDs = 4Gb - in RAID 1 - 2 x 2Tb = 2Tb).

To alleviate and improve read/write speeds then using units with Gigabit comms is the best way forward, but all elemets will need Gigabit functionaluity (PC NIC card, Router, NAS Box and any Switches in the line. Wireless connectivity will always be slower.

Good luck - there is a lot of choice out there, with more coming on to the market all the time.

C

I really like the last line that you have written.. the market is always flooded with new innovations every 3-4 months.

In my case, I am not really looking for a RAID device but would not hesitate in case it is worth. So keeping that an optional choice.

My Freecom Network Hard drive ocassionally drops out but very less. All my Freecom external HDDs been loyal till now.

Will Buffalo Link Station Pro will have,
1. usb port to connect other drives
2. http share/ftp share
3. how does its dlna work ? will wdtv able to see it ?

Why get a NAS when the WDTV Live can act as a NAS for connected USB drives?

WDTV Live only supports 2 USB, where as any NAS device where as there is no limit to NAS devices with DLNA. Moreover, I presume if I use DLNA, WDTV Live need not scan my 1TB drive for 15 mins everytime I activate the device from standby.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom