1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chosing Fans (cpu\case\projector) - quiet and good flow

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Rob.Screene, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It seems the most important thing for a quiet HTPC or projector.

What fans cool well and are "quiet"?

I see that John Spicer has some experience of these in Petrolhead's recent thread and I'd appreciate any comments from any others.

Here's some CFM and Noise rating's I've found for popular "quiet" fans 80, 92 and 120mm in size...
    [​IMG]

I am thinking of replacing the 60mm fan on my Athlon 1900+ copper heatsink, this this also equallty applies to HTPC fans and probably even quietening projectors.

Discussion or recommendations for good choices and good suppliers appreciated.

regards,
    Rob.
    Keywords: Chosing choosing pc fan cooler cpu case extractor fans

2. powergyoza

powergyoza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a message I wrote in forum elsewhere. I made it in response to a question that's relevant to you concern.

The Panaflo are likely the best of your bunch. Some people have reported the Papst as making a clicking noise which is due to the electronic driving circuitry. Others swear by them. Vantec's have bearing/electronic noise. No experience with Adda's or QuietPC's. Verax's do not move very much air when running at low voltage compared to conventional designs.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've been experimenting and bought a number of fans over the last couple of months,

60mm that came with my Dign
    60mm Papst
    80mm Papst
    80mm Antec thermo controlled
    80mm Panaflo
    92mm Panaflo

and I also had a 92mm Zalman as part of a flower cooler kit lthough thats gone now. At stock speeds and voltages the Antec was okay, the Papst were better but the Panaflo's were best even though MBM says they run a little fatser than th Papst ones. It may well be as powergyoza said and its a different kind of noise.

With my Panaflo and Seisonic PSU I have to put my hand over the PSU exhaust to know if its switched on or not.:D

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks John.

Looking at the figures (which I understand may be of "Marketing" accuracy!), the Panaflo's don't shift as much air, so that might be why they are more free to spin and so run a little faster.

I read somwhere else too that the Papst 80mm is very loud for a claimed 12dBA!

I can't find any UK supplier of Vantec Stealths.

The http://www.quietpc.com ones look very good on paper, i.e 40cfm at 20dBA for the 92mm one for £17.
    Q: Anyone know if they are their own design or just someone elses rebadged?

Failing those, I'll trust John's experience in that the Panaflo 92mm L1A is a very quiet 27dBA :) for £15.28 including 3-pin tail from http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk

Plus I'll probably get a fanmate variable fan controller for £9.50
    Q: Anyone know of a temperature sensitive alternative?

regards,
    Rob.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Rob,

I never compared a 92mm Papst against the Panaflo that I use, but I did compare the 80mm ones and the Panaflo was definitly better, it seemed kinder smoother in the way it made noise.

You can get the Zalman fanmate at a better price than that but I'll have to have a dig where I saw it.

The only thermo controlled fan I played with was one of the first I bought which was the 80mm Antec, but because it had a 3000rpm higher speed I junked it as it was a bit much, the mobo I use now is a Asus with controllers for fan speed although at the moment with the single Panaflo I cant hear it anyway so its not enabled.

I think you can get thermo contolled Papst ones.

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks John.

Could this mean the Quietpc fans are re-branded Pabst/Zalmans?

"QuietPC sent us through a 3 and a 4 pinned fan. A Zalman ZM-F1 which was supplied with a silencing resistor and a Papst TYP 8412. Both of the 20CFM sleave bearing fans performed very quietly, especially the Zalman fan. At 2800 RPM the Zalman weighed in at just 4dB, the Papst coming in at an equally excellent 10dB at 1500 RPM. The Zalman didn\'t register on my decible meter until it hit 2500 RPM, 2000 RPM for the Papst."
    Ref: http://www.envynews.com/rev_print.php?ID=393&RType=1

regards,
    Rob.

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Rob,

Sounds like a possibilty. Also interesting the bit about the Flower running without a fan on a 1600 Athlon, I dont think it would cut the mustard though with a few hours Dscaler use and I dont think a 1600 is enough processing for some of the newer stuff in Dscaler either.

Regards

8. powergyoza

powergyoza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In another forum: http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=2156 they are saying the same thing about the QuietPC fans.

I find EN's measurements to be suspect. 4 & 10dB are hard to believe, esp. because they didn't mention at what distance and under what conditions they were tested. In addition, only sound meters in the 10's of thousands of dollar range + a super duper anechoic chamber can measure down that low.

9. powergyoza

powergyoza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not exactly running w/o a fan. The PSU fan is directly above and drawing the hot air away. I hear the Zalman 6000's have a very weak clip which does not put the HS base in very good contact with the CPU, so I'd be careful about getting it.

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    powergyoza

I had a Zalman Flower but the aluminium one at it didn't nealy cut the mustard with my xp processor and loads of case fans and an enermax dual fan psu, from my other posts you'll see I now have a thermaltake slk800 with a 92mm panaflo above it and a single fan seisonic ss300 psu which as a combination is really dead quiet.

The flower comment was purely that it was a point of interest that it could be run wiothout a fan rather than that I wanted to try it. I dont expect the flower and no fan but dual fan psu to be any better than what I've got:)

I agree about the db figures quoted though and expect them to be more likly 10 and 14 but as you say, is unlikly to have been measured accuratly anyway.

11. powergyoza

powergyoza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops, my mistake...:blush:

12. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks guys.

It sounds like the quietpc fans are rebadged papst/zalman plus a resistor, so they are measured at below rated speed. As I want an adjustable fanmate to do that anyway, I'll stick with what is recommended here and by the sticky on the silentpcreview fan forum...

I've ordered a Panaflo 80mm L1A fan plus a 60mm to 80mm fan adaptor, Zalman fanmate and some arctic silver heatsink compound from http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk.

The 92mm panaflo L1A fan was back ordered and there doesn't appear to be an easy way to adapt 92mm fans on most heatsinks, the Thermalright SLK-800 excepted!

I'll try this on the midi-tower Athlon desktop's existing "copper" heatsink first, then I'm sure the adaptor and Panflo will find it's way in to the HTPC downstairs on the Intel P4 2GHz hsf for a quick test!

The Athlon pc has an adjustable fan Enermax whisper psu, plus with the fanmat, the cpu fan will be adjustable.
    Q: How would you go about balancing the two fan speeds and calibrating max cpu v.s system temperatures? Or put another way, what temperatures do you aim for cpu and system?

thanks and regards,
    Rob.

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Rob

My personal aims heat wise for the chip is under 60C for full load on an Athlon, not sure about P4's as I dont have one. I know others run much much higer temps but I'm not convinced on long term reliability.

Even with the Enermax PSU on its slowest settings I found the theramal controlled rear fan quickly sped up and was by far the loudest thing in the PC, its fine under my desk where other PC's are in the room but a bit much for my HTPC. That said it was with a different HSF which was not as efficent, I dare say it would be less of a problem the less heat you can get off the processor. So I suppose in a round about way, the more you can push the processor down the better the whole system will be.

For reference my XP2100+ with the SLK800 and 92mm panaflo under full load is 47C in ambient 26C, when I overclocked it to 2700+ speeds the full load temp was still only 53C.

My desktop machine with an XP2400+ and stock oem HSF at 4000rpm idles at 39C, havent done a full load test on it.

14. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks John.

I just found some indicators for Athlons and P4's, in summary:
    Chassis/cpufan inlet"motherboard" should be between 33-40C.
    P4 CPU's could have a max temp as low as 68C.
    Athlons max temp as low as 85C.

Obviously the cooler the better for memory/mb/disk/dvd-rom/psu, etc. component longevity, but these are the manufacturers suggested targets...

a) Intel P4 - Recommended Internal Chassis temp/Set fan low/Set fan high
    Pentium4 S423 40/36/45
    Pentium4 S478 <=2.8GHz 40/33/43
    Pentium4 S478 3.06GHz 38/32/40
    e.g.
    2.0A GHz Northwood P4 recommended system temp:
    (i.e. cpu fan inlet temp)
    40 ideal, 43 too high, <33 = you don't need it this cool, save some fan speed/noise!
    Max CPU Case Temperature = 68 degrees C
    The listed P4 max CPU temps vary between 66C and 78C and thermal design power is from 46.8W to 81.8W depending on revision and rated speed.

b) AMD Athlon
    Chassis temp max 42C
    Max CPU die temperature 90C (>=2200+ = 85C)
    Thermal design power is 60W to 72Wdepending on revision.

References: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/thermal.htm
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf

regards,
    Rob.

15. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

Which Panaflo 92mm are you using with the SLK-800; high (FBA09A12H) or low (FBA09A12L) volume?

Does it attach with the SLK-800 standard clips or did you have to mod it?

16. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Rob,

Biggest problem with all of it is who to trust with regard to reading the tempratures, a lot of the motherboard manufacturers seem to be making boards that read artificially low and the likes of MBM only reads from these probes. Its only really when you change items on the same board that you begin to get a feal for the real amount of drop even if it doesn't actually represent an accurate figure.

For example when I had my flower cooler and xp2200+ and no case fans MBM showed the chip temp rising and approaching 70C even with sdome case fans, I bailed at this point and removed the lid of the case becayse if the board is reading 10C lower than it should then its getting close to dangerous leevls.

Just my 2p.

17. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    mephistopheles

Its the low 2000rpm unit and you can attach it by tweaking the standard clips a bit.

18. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I agree on a nice safety margin

1. Sensors may be mis-calibrated on bios/software.
    2. Sensors may not actually be in the right place to accurately sense cpu core temp.
    3. Sensors may be innacurate or not be fast enough to record temporary peaks.

I'd say allow 3C for each of the above and I agree on bailing at 70C on MBM!

I can't wait to hear what a difference a decent 80mm fan and fanmate controller makes.

regards,
    Rob.

19. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You wont be able to hear it.:D

Knowing how quick theoverclockingstore tend to be you'l;l have it all tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

20. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    By a cross-post causing another order thread to be mailed to me and my replying I found out OCS won't be getting any
    Panaflo 80mm Low Volume fans to complete my order:

1 of [OCS] Fan Adapter: 80mm -> 60mm at 6.00
    1 of Panaflo 80mm Low Volume Non Tailed at 10.00
    1 of Panaflo Tail 3Pin at 1.00
    1 of Arctic Silver Compound 3 (3 Gram) at 5.99
    1 of Zalman FanMate 3 Pin at 8.00
    total £30.99 ex VAT

I was planning on adding the above to my existing coolermaster "copper" heatsink on my Athlon 1900+ (currently 55C cpu/35C chassis idle). The bearing is going on the unknown 60mm fan and it often wines at me and I really don't want to use the 60mm DELTA fan it can with!

If I get great cooling and low noise then £40 inc is worth it to me, but I don't really want to overdo it for a desktop. It does need fixing though as the noise is annoying, drowning out the two 7200 western digital BB hard disks in there!

I see I have a few options:

a) PAPST 612NGM 60mm 20.6CFM Non Tailed for £12 ex VAT, don't need £6 fan adapter, so save £6, but have a fanmate controlled 60mm unknown?

b) Use original spare 60mm DELTA fan with fanmate and arctic silver, ), saving £17 ex VAT.

c) Use spare unknown 80mm fan with above items (fanmat, adaptor and arctic silver), saving £11 ex VAT. Q: noise vs colling issues?

d) Panaflo 80mm High Volume in place of low volume.
    Q: Will the fanmate still make it quiet?

e) Zalman CNPS6000CU "flower" Copper CPU Cooler £32.99+VAT. Don't need the existing heatsink or any of the above order items as they are all part of the Zalman retail packs including a Zalman 92mm fan and fanmate. Apparently very quiet, but not the best for 2000+ and I may put a 2600+ in one day.

f) New Zalaman CNPS7000-Cu (Radial 92mm HSF), but I don't think that will fit an Athlon socket A and where do I get one? Don't need the existing heatsink or any of the above order items as they are all part of the Zalman retail packs including a Zalman 92mm fan and fanmate.

Your comments and suggestions appreciated.
    regards,
    Rob.

21. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm running an Athlon XP 2000+ with the all Copper Zalman Flower kit, it makes absolutely no noise at all. The current temperature is 51c, with the 92mm fan running at it's slowest speed (1300/1400rpm).

I also have a Papst 80mm case fan and 80mm QuietPC fan (with fanamte controller at slowest speed). I can't hear any of them unless I stop the PSU fan. They are fitted to the CPU fan 'arm' and are directing air towards the AGP and PCI cards/slots. Current case temp is 31c.

The PSU is due to be removed soon and put into an external passively cooled case so my PC will be totally silent.

I'm also running a Zalman heatpipe cooler on my GF4 Ti4400, and a Zalman northbidge heatsink (instead of it's small one and fan).

I'm planning on fitting my case with sort of sound reduction/absorbant material. I'll probably use some Dynamat to start with, as I can get this cheaply from work. I fitted this to my other PC at home and it made a big difference. Very good at deadening case panels and removing resonance.

22. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for that ReTrO.
    51°C sounds great for a really quiet cooler. I've seen that dabs.com are a little cheaper do it for £31 ex VAT. + £1.50 small order charge.

Cooling a Pentium4 seems so much easier now.

It seems dabs.com also do a few nice cooling products for fast Athlons:
    Coolermaster Premium Thermal Compound Kit PTK-001 £3.50 ex VAT
    Thermaltake S478/SoA Aquarius II Liquid Cooling A1604 £56.17 ex VAT.
    This looks to be the ultimate HTPC cooler, quoted 20dBA noise. In the following comparison, keept an Athlon 2200+ within 1C of a ThermalRight SLK-600 with 7000rpm fan making 46.5dBA while the Aquarius II was making only 29dBA!
    Reference: http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/Tt_Aquarius/index.html

From the pictures on the site below, it appears that the heatsink I currently have is the CoolerMaster HCC-002; not a bad one apparently, except for the original 6800rpm DELTA fan which was untolerable to anyone having to think (occasionally) at the computer!

Here's a selection of the best °C/W (lower the better) from the huge roundup of cpu coolers at http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm I've added any prices I've noticed at any UK suppliers for any.

CoolerMaster HCC-002. A perfectly respectable 0.58°C/W, noisy 6800RPM DELTA fan.

CoolerMaster HHC-001 heatpipe 0.58°C/W no better performance than HCC-002!

CoolerMaster Alps HHC-L61 heatpipe The only difference between the HHC-001 and this Alps HHC-L61 heatsink is the fan, it is very very quiet, almost sky and ground kind of difference compared to the 7K Black Delta fan.
    Reference: http://www.reviewmakers.com/showdoc.php?review=37
    £31 ex VAT at theoverlclockingstore.com or £21 ex VAT at dabs.com + £8 fanmate? = £29
    Note: Probably means the HCC-001 I have with the delta 6800rpm fan and a fanmate may work well?

Evercool CUD-725 70mm fan 0.59°C/W the fan isn't horribly loud, either.

Swiftech MCX370-OA 0.58°C/W thermal resistance result, which is outstanding for an all-aluminium cooler 6850RPM Papst 612NHH fan. This fan may spin fast, but it's relatively low powered - Papst rate it at 2.9 watts, and I measured it drawing a bit more than 3W. It's remarkably quiet for its speed - a bit louder than the average 4000RPM

Swiftech MCXC370 0.57°C/W, the MCXC370's up there with the best of the nutty overclockers' coolers, but it's a lot quieter than most of them.
    Swiftech MCX370-T Active Cooler with Papst NHH612 - 60x60x25mm fan, 33 CFM - 6850 RPM - Noise level: 43 DB theoverclockingstore.com £45.00

Thermalright SLK-600 0.46°C/W FFB0612EHE makes a very nasty racket. It also provides a pretty definite upper performance indicator for the SLK-600 heat sink. With the Delta blowing a gale through the SLK-600, it scored very well indeed. Very, very well indeed. Miles better than any cooler I'd previously tested with the small contact patch, in fact.

Thermalright SLK-600 0.56°C/W. 25mm tall two watt Y.S. Tech fan. Which is the sort of fan that sensible people use.

Thermalright SLK-800 0.46°C/W FFB0812EHE on it, the SLK-800 turned in a superlative result. That blasted it into the lead for the whole Socket A/370 air cooler category, by a significant margin. You'd blooming well want it to be something special, though; this is a loud fan, and most people will not tolerate it.

Thermaltake Volcano 7+ 0.62°C/W(low) full= 0.52°C/W aluminium-cased speed controller. On low it was now a bona fide quiet cooler, by most people's standards anyway.
    Volcano 7+ S478 - 3Ghz / SoA - XP2600+ A1254 inc 3000-6000 rpm70mm fan and speed switch. £13.20 dabs.com

Zalman CNPS5100-Cu low:0.87°C/W high: 0.58°C/W cooler, which puts it in proper

overclocking territory, despite the fact that it makes a lot less noise than many

coolers that score the same or only slightly better. £31.00 dabs.com

Zalman CNPS6000-Cu low: 0.95°C/W full: 0.73°C/W £31.00 dabs.com

Zalman CNPS6000-AlCu low: 0.97°C/W. full: 0.77°C/W. £26.00 dabs.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the above, for my Athlon XP 1900+ I think I might try :-

a) £8 fanmate and arctic silver £5.99 with the original 60mm delta fan and HCC-002 from theoverclockingstore.com

If that isn't quiet enough;

b) Thermaltake Volcano 7+ from dabs.com. It includes P4 and Athlon mountings, a 70mm fan and 3 position controller for £13.50 ex VAT. It looks a good cooler at a great uk price.
    Noise Level: Low: 24dBA(0.62°C/W) Medium 35dBA High 47dBA(0.52°C/W?)
    "The above charts shows that this heatsink is an above average performer, but certainly not within the class of the Coolermaster HHC-001. That's not surprising considering the CoolerMaster has a larger surface area and is partially aided by those heatpipes. But as a consolation, the CoolerMaster didn't have things like a fan controller and is certainly more expensive than the Volcano 7+."
    References:
    http://www.reviewmakers.com/showdoc.php?review=35&pg=1
    http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/Tt_Volcano7+/

If it's too noisy, compared to the pair of 7200rpm WD discs in there, I might replace the controller with a fanmate as even on low, it cools better than the Zalman on max apparently, so it should have reserve to spare.

c) I think the Zalman CNPS6000-Cu is worth the extra cost only for a proper HTPC, with Barracuda or 5400rpm SilentDrive enclosed hard disk (I just added one to the 80GB 5400 hard disk in my dev server, but I can't tell as this Athlon desktop fan is still so loud!).

d) Alternatively a CoolerMaster Alps HHC-L61 heatpipe was reviewed well against the Volcano 7+ in one of the above reviews, with a fanmate, it would total £29 ex VAT and might be a good alternative to the pretty Zalman flowers until the new Zalman 7000 radial becomes available and reasonably priced.

e) Failing that the water cooling solution is only £20 more and looks really high performance and quiet (until it leaks).

Again, for a Pentium 4 HTPC, the Zalman flower or a simple fanmate sounds a much more economical solution.

Gosh isn't cooling Athlons fun, it's amazing what a whining cpu fan for over 1 week will make me look in to!

cheers,
    Rob.

23. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I found out that the fan squeel was actually off my old GeForce2 GTS card. A drop on sunflower oil on it's fan bearning and it's quiet as new now.

Luckily I noticed this before adjusting my order, so I ended up just getting a 60-80mm adapter, arctic silver paste and a fanmate speed adjuster to use a spare CoolerMaster 80mm fan I had.

Running max speed to check temps first, but it looks very good.
    I now have the machine running at 48C cpu/34 chassis idle. Fanmate on max at first and reading 2500rpm.

That's a cpu drop of 4C and it's quieter than the "quiet" 60mm fan was, let alone the 60mm DELTA 6800rpm that came with this CoolerMaster HC-002 heatsink.

That's even without turning the fanmate down and it does go really quiet. Anyone running an Athlon XP (aspecially HTPC) would benefit from a speed adjustable 80mm cpu fan and the arctic silver probably helped too.

I also noticed that aria.co.uk have some much better prices on Zalman bits, but have a £7ish delivery charge. I've got a temperature sensor, and Zalman chipset heatsink and another fanmate on order from them!

The bug has bitten and I'm going to try running the GeForce2 GTS card with just a passive heatsink on, once the temperature sensors arrive to keep an eye on it. Arial.co.uk do one with external lcd readout for as little as £6 ex VAT, but it was out-of-stock so I had to get a £16 dual lcd one, still a good price compared to most other places.

I don't think this will be the easy swap making my HTPC Radeon 64DDR passive fanless was.

I bet I've ordered a Zalman vga heatpipe like ReTrO within 2 weeks, it's nice to be able to think in my small office room!

cheers,
    Rob.

24. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I would not recommend a thermaltake 7+, mine came with the outer casing slightly too thick to allow it to be clipped in (on an Epox 8K3A+ and Asus A7N8X). I thought I had it clipped in and it popped out overnight causing my athlon to fry :(

Had to shave down the casing to allow it to clip. Also one of the arms on the clip where you insert the screwdriver snapped off while I was trying to clip it on before shaving it down.

This is the only HSF I have ever seen where setting it up was a real ballache, and the noise when it is on anything above low speed is annoying.

Not a good product in my view. I wish I had never lent my Spreeze Copper fan to my brother, it has turned out to be very expensive :(

25. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Ouch.

If the Volcano 7+ is a bit mis-fitting and risky, it sounds like the CoolerMaster Alps HHC-L61 heatpipe heatsink is probably the best high-performance heatsink/fan noise compromise. It comes with a "quiet" 2500rpm 60mm fan.

ex VAT prices I've noticed:-
    £19 aria.co.uk (+ only £4 for a fanmate + £6.95 delivery charge)
    £20.95 scan.co.uk (£5 delivery charge)
    £31 theoverlclockingstore.com (no order/delivery charge)
    £21 dabs.com (£1.50 delivery charge)

Maybe a 60-80mm adapter and a panaflo 80mm fan too for an extra £15-ish if we really want the best range of performance cooling and quiet potential.

Other than spending £56.17 for the really quiet Thermaltake S478/SoA Aquarius II Liquid Cooling water cooled solution.

regards,
    Rob.

26. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Bought a Papst but sent it back. Was noisier than the std Dell CPU fan, which is not too bad

27. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing some research on fans to replace x4 80mm's on my CRT monitor, which are a bit noisy. I swapped one of the originals - Japan Servo Co Ltd 'DC Pixie 25 III' brushless - for a Papst 8400NGML and was horrified to find the Papst was noisier, despite being rated 7dBA quieter on paper for an identical airflow/pressure/rpm profile. Rats..................

I decided to resort to a more radical solution involving mods to the chassis etc and in the course of surfing around, I came across Papst Variofans, which I hadn't seen before, with Rectangular Pulse Modulation via a thermal sensor. As standard they will run at half to full speed between 30-50 C; the sensor can be locally (within the fan body) or remotely located and they can be run at half to full standard voltage range. In case anyone's interested they're sold online at http://www.pcsilent.de.

I also managed to find a universal fan adapter called Amazuma V2 Universal Fan Adapter at http://www.sidewindercomputers.com for US$16. It will adapt any size of fan to any size of location, apparently.

Two of the 80mm's intake at the bottom of the back on one side only of the chassis (one above the other) and the other 2 blow onto the CRT from above and below it. The plan is to relocate one of the intakes to the upper opposite side where it gets very hot and exhaust it to equalise the pressure and reduce turbulence (although the case is full of perforated sections) and fit 92mm Variofans running at half voltage through regulators (Vantec Black Nexus perhaps) with the thermal sensors at appropriate local (CRT blowers) and remote (intake and exhaust) hotspots in the case.

If anyone can help me with this projext with some tech know-how I would really appreciate it!