1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chosing a new micro hifi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by PVR, Mar 3, 2005.

1. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Denon DM31 which was dead on arrival, so it went back. Then, looking at the Which reviews, tried to order a Technics CHD560 and unbelievably, you can not longer order that!

Any suggestions on what similar type I could go for? (budget around £300)

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'd go for another DM31 myself.

3. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with the DM31 was also that it is sooooooo deep. It is replacing a sony which is about half the size so was a bit shocked to see this huge unit arrive

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,176
    Very happy with the sound from our TEAC 250.
    But the interface for DAB is a bit painful to use.
    It's as deep as the Denon though IIRC.

5. dromoreroad

dromoreroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I'm a complete novice in relation to hifi ...Can someone please explain the interface being 'painful to use' ref. DAB on the Teac 250?
    I'm not sure whether to go for Denon DM31 or Teac 250 - can anyone advise on this and also on best speakers for each system - room is approx. 16' x 16'. Possible thoughts were for Mission M31i or M32i's?
    RDR

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,176
    I would buy another, it's just that it can be irritating pushing the front buttons when you 'do it wrong'.

The HiFi sits on a shelf in the kitchen so we mainly use the front buttons not the remote. It doesn't have preset buttons on the main panel so you have to use a couple of pushes to get to a new station. We only listen to Radio2 or XFM so it's annoying there aren't presets. We also find that sometimes it forgets we only have 2 presets and asks for a 2 digit input which is a bit odd. It also seems to remember what mode you used the remote in last - so pressing preset 1 on the remote can cause it to play CD track 1 if you used the remote to select shuffle the last time you used it. Never really got to the bottom of how to even replicate that one and it happens so infrequently we don't worry about it, just remember to press Tuner then 1.

The final irritation is that in DAB mode the CD Eject button is also used to rescan for stations in DAB mode. This is annoying because you do it by accident when you want to put a CD in and forget it's on DAB input, it takes several seconds to run the scan.
    By contrast the Acoustic Solutions SP111 DAB tuner in the lounge has 4 preset buttons and is very easy to retune using the main shuttle dial - but as that's only a tuner it doesn't have to squeeze all the other stuff onto a tiny front panel.

Also look out for CD drives that spin noisily - I've read a few people complaining about them, retailers and do exchange them so don't put up with it.

On the positive sides - it sounds great! It's very small and smart looking. The CD player is good and the tuner is as good as DAB can be. We also use it to amplify a docked iPod and it's very enjoyable to listen to plus there is a another AUX input for future expansion.

Ours is feeding a pair of Mission 700's that were mothballed from a previous AV system and it has more than enough beef to drive them and give a nice sound. I can't make a recommendation on modern missions but I expect it would be good with either.

Our main reason to choose the TEAC over the Denon was that we have loads of pirate interference so we needed DAB - which the Denon doesn't offer. I'd recommend it but with a bit more thought the UI could have been better.

7. dromoreroad

dromoreroad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I have found an offer for AE Aesprit 300's and wonder if anyone has any advice on whether these would complement the DM31 Or Teac 250 models as against the Mission M31i's? I can't find any reviews for the AE Aesprit 300 series, which apparently are discontinued now.
    Once again many thanks
    RDR

8. nirvanahaven

nirvanahaven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the denon any day of the week

sonys may be smaller but they sound like walkie-talkies campared to the denon

ive found that a good match for my 31 to be wharfedale diamond 9.0 for an extra £40 over the missions they are very good !

good luck in getting the right one for you just dont go back to sony ! ;)

9. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ended up with a Yamaha E400. Fantastic miro and all seperates. speakers you get with it are excellent too - sounded a little shrill at first but once it had been used for a while they sounded much less agressive and the bass started to shine through.
    Think its been replaced with something like the E600 now which has a dvd / cd player instead of just cd.
    I got mine with the minidisc and tape deck options.. pity it doesnt have dab though.
    Build quality on all components is excellent although I have to admit they're quite deep.
    The speakers are in a high gloss black btw - look excellent with or without the grills on.
    I'd say it's definitely an excellent value system every bit as good as the denon but just nowhere near as compact.
    Maybe worth trying out... I wasn't dissapointed. Goes loud too with no problems.