1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chord SPM1900

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Anodyne, May 23, 2003.

1. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Has anyone auditioned one of these? I'm looking for a 5 channel power amp to go with my Tag processor and wondered whether it was worth considering as an alternative to the 100x5r or Bryston's 9Bsst THX.

Thanks

Will

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Avoid the Tag. :thumbsdow

I've never auditioned a Chord amp, but I get the impression they are rather overpriced.

Bryston amps: :smashin:

If you can't afford the Bryston then get an Arcam FMJ P7.

3. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Something which you may not have considered is the Copland CVA 535. It is extremely good - it also happens to be sensibly priced!

As a bonus, it can run balanced - infact for all 5 channels - this is normally only found in much more expensive pieces of equipment.

I demo'd several amps and found this to be by far the best for the money....

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Yes.....very good quality power amps,right from the little ones to the very large ones.

The sound quality tends towards being very dry and tight,with clean,fast bass and very good levels of control.
    As an alternative to the Bryston,they're well worth considering,and certainly miles ahead of the Tag power amps in all areas.

I listened to several sets of speakers before finally settling on my current ones,and was treated to an extensive Chord demo in the process.....they sound pretty good compared to my(somewhat older)Krells,but don't have quite the degree of bass control and grunt that they can produce....otherwise though,and especially in the treble,very good indeed.
    Please don't see my comparison of their bass Vs the Krells as a criticism...it's not,just 2 very good amps,with slightly different strengths,and I like the sound of the Krells,hence have no wish to change.
    You'd need to listen in your own home with your own speakers(what did you have in mind,BTW?) before deciding,especially at this price level.

5. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Thanks for the replies.

As far as the price I think it comes in at around the £4500 price range, which considering the Bryston costs around £3900 these days isn't too bad. I feel that Brystons get hit by the same price disparity that a lot of US sourced gear does.

At the moment I'm using M&K 851s across the front and Column surrounds for the rears along with a Rotel 985 mk2 which is okay for movies but not to my taste for music, it seems to lack the drive that I used to get from my old Naim system.

Will

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hope that helps re the Chord amps,and also think if you did decide on these or the Brystons,it may reveal a bit of a quality mismatch between the amplification and the speakers....certainly the overall sound quality will improve,but you may find you're not getting the amps full resolution.....still,gives an excuse to continue the upgrading path!

7. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yes I think chord are fantastic as i use a spm1900 to power
    atc 20s and kef dipoles,my centre speaker is atc active.
    so only using 4 out of the 5 channels.
    as you know the 1900 is approx 120w but has no trouble
    with 85db atc,s.
    the 1200c or e is of course even better but only 2 channel
    I have a good contact for chord if you live north.

8. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I'm of the opinion that source components contribute more to the sound quality than speakers. At least with an amp of this calibre I'll be getting the most out of my speakers, and as you say it'll stand me in good stead for any future upgrades.

Will

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    For that kind of money you could buy three M&K 2510P active speakers....

10. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I have thought about it, but I only recently bought my current speakers and am quite happy with them at the moment. I just think they would benefit from a more authoritative amp.

11. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Truly, truly superb amps. Every one I've heard has been fantastic. Make no mistake: these are in the 'top of the tree' bracket, and are revered as highly in the States as Mark Levinson is over here.