Chord Rumour to replace QED ?? speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by fuzzybee, Sep 22, 2004.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I need a bit of advice, i recently bought a pair of Monitor Audio Radius R270 floorstanders and matching R225 center from Sevenoakes, part of the deal was also an eight meter length of Chord Rumour Single wire speaker cable rrp £9.95 a meter.
    I am currently using some QED something or other, it says Balanced Design Concept on the cable itself. I think i payed around £3 a meter for it from Superfi several years ago.
    Now is it worth me replacing it with the Chord cable ??? is anybody using the Chord Rumour cable and what do you think of it. It's a big job for me to change the cable as the QED cable is running under a laminate floor and would have to be partly taken up to change it.
    My AV amp is a Yamaha RXV730 but will soon be upgraded to a Denon 3805 if this has any bearing.
    I would be grateful for some advice on this matter, thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to reply :smashin:

2. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I start I think its best to tell you the I'm biased :) So take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Regarding the cheaper QED speaker cable, I personally hate them, a little strong... yes, but from experience with Silver Anniversary I can say that the sound is bright, which initially makes you believe that your hearing more detail.
    However an extended audition quickly lead to you become fatigued with the whole sound, especially at more envigorating sound levels.

Personally I prefer a quality 2 core mains cable to QED any day of the week. At the moment I use Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker Cable connected to a Parasound power amp. A lot a people would describe this cable as potentially bright but with neutral equipment such as the Parasound it can be very rewarding. I should imagine it could sound bright though with the cheaper integrated AV amps.

So after this rant I guess I'm saying go with the Chord over the QED.

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I biamp my front three speakers using Rumour and I think it's an excellent cable with great clarity. The only thing I would say is that it's slightly 'forward' in nature, so I wouldn't use it between equally forward components, and not the last word in bass depth (although the bass is more musical than most), use Odyssey if you want greater bass depth.

4. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for the responses, i changed the cable about two hours ago and have been playing a few cd's and a few movies.
    I am not sure if i'm trying to convince myself or not but i honestly feel the sound is more punchy with better clarity. The missus is watching the wedding singer right now on BBC1 and the vocals seem much clearer.
    I have now got to replace some of the floor i took up but it was worth it :thumbsup: